Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
gmc007

Re: Aviation Books to read

Post by gmc007 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Stealth Fighter: A Year in the life of an F-117 Pilot by Lt. Col. William B. O'Connor USAF (ret.) is a really good read as is Warthog by William L. Smallwood.

Mentioned before but great books are Chickenhawk & Tornado Down.

Runner

Post by Runner » Sat Jan 26, 2013 2:58 pm

Victor Boys by Tony Blackman.

Really enjoyed this one, the first part of the book describes the development of the aircraft while the second part goes on to tell some of the stories of the airmen that flew them. Couldn't put it down, I especially enjoyed the second part which contains Bob Tuxfords account of Black Buck 1. Great book, highly recommended.

Gooner_Ant

Post by Gooner_Ant » Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:05 pm

Just finished reading 'Vulcan 607' by Rowland White.

Inspiring and just fantastic, could not put it down.

"When a man sits with a pretty girl for an hour, it seems like a minute. But let him sit on a hot stove for a minute and it's longer than any hour. That's relativity!"

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:23 pm

Just finished 'A Lonely Kind of War: Forward Air Controller, Vietnam' by Marshall Harrison. Fantastic book detailing missions as a Bronco pilot including going over the border into Cambodia. Highly recommended if the Vietnam war is of interest to you.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:49 pm

I've just obtained a copy of a lovely little book all about the A10A Thunderbolt II... Fairchild Republic A-10 Thunderbolt Lock On No 7
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lock-On-No-Fair ... 9070932172#_" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The book is aimed mainly at the plastic kit modeller as it contains lots of close up detailed colour photographs of the airframe, but what attracted me to the book is the fact that all of the photographs and information within the book were taken at RAF Bentwaters in the early 1990's. It really is well illustrated and contains some beautiful clear colour images of the A-10 at the proper home of the Hog! There are images of every part of the A-10, including what is behind the access panels.

A fascinating book for anyone interested in Bentwaters and the A-10. Definitely one I would recomend to anyone!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

2_avons

Post by 2_avons » Tue Apr 09, 2013 5:45 pm

Forced to land at Groom Lake...'but don't look'

good stuff from NEVER IN ANGER by Anthony 'Bugs' Bendell, former lightning pilot

recommended yet again

info here http://www.rafjever.org/neverinanger.htm

Graham
Last edited by 2_avons on Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I remember when Pontius was a pilot & Decca was a navigator......

paullangford

Post by paullangford » Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:07 pm

If you liked "Chickenhawk" by Bob Mason, "Xin Loi Viet Nam" is a good follow on book, but written by a door gunner;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xin-Loi-Viet-Na ... ds=xin+loi" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've also just finished "Viper Pilot: A Memoir of Air Combat " by Dan Hampton, also a very interesting read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Viper-Pilot-Mem ... iper+pilot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Skywatcher
Location: Under the approach to runway 27 raf fairford supporter

Post by Skywatcher » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:58 am

My fav book at the minute is a book by Phil Patton it's called Dreamland inside rosewell and Area 51(now officially cumfermed by us that it exits ;) )lots of very cool stuff in it. It's a fantastic book :thumbs: also mentions briefly about aera s-4 as well :ninja: ....and many other secret faculty :ninja: :thumbs:
Also another fav ,Stealth warplanes by Doug Richardson ,loads of interesting facts in there :clap: I can not live without that book :) it's also got very good specs in there about f-22and f-35/32 JSFs and the Have Blue program :thumbs:
Last edited by Skywatcher on Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit watcher/BUFF fan/96thBS/420th air base Squadron supporter

Please like my Facebook page -Raf Fairford photography and news -

Tom.Joyce

Post by Tom.Joyce » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:49 am

gmc007 wrote:Stealth Fighter: A Year in the life of an F-117 Pilot by Lt. Col. William B. O'Connor USAF (ret.) is a really good read as is Warthog by William L. Smallwood.

Mentioned before but great books are Chickenhawk & Tornado Down.
I've just finished "Warthog", bought it on a whim after reading this post........ I can recommend it ....had a bit of a "groundhog day" moment though as it does mention the closing of Woodford and Alconbury - and here we are with the withdrawal of A10's from Spangdahlen in the past couple of weeks.
If at first you don't succeed -it's probably best not to take up parachuting

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:23 am

Anyone with a Kindle in this months deals on Amazon there are a couple of aviation books

Bailout Over Normandy: A Flyboy's Adventures with the French Resistance and Other Escapades in Occupied France [Kindle Edition]
By Ted Fahrenwald
for £1.29
Product Description
A daredevil pilot in the famed 352nd Fighter Squadron, the author of this remarkable memoir bailed out of his burning Mustang two days after D-Day and was launched on a thrilling adventure on the ground in Occupied France.

After months living and fighting with the French Resistance, Fahrenwald was captured by the Wehrmacht, interrogated as a spy, and interned in a POW camp—and made a daring escape just before his deportation to Germany. Nothing diminished this pilot’s talent for spotting the ironic humor in even the most aggravating or dangerous situations—and nothing stopped his penchant for extracting his own improvised and sometimes hilarious version of justice.

A suspenseful WWII page-turner and an outrageously witty tale of daring and friendship, this book brings to vivid life the daily bravery, mischief, and intrigues of fighter pilots, Resistance fighters, and other Allies in the air and on the ground.

Captured by the Wehrmacht, however, interrogated as a spy, and interned in a POW camp, the author made a daring escape just before his deportation to Germany. Nothing diminished Ted’s talent for spotting the ironic humor in even the most aggravating or dangerous situations, nor his penchant for extracting his own improvised and sometimes hilarious version of justice.

The author recorded his swashbuckling adventures at age twenty-four, after his discharge and return to the States. Afterward he went into business and never again put pen to paper. But his immediate reminiscence of his wartime experience—recently found—reveals a rare literary talent.

Wings: The RAF at War, 1912-2012 [Kindle Edition] by Patrick Bishop for £1.69
Product Description
The Royal Air Force is synonymous with its heroic achievements in the summer of 1940, when Winston Churchill's 'famous few' - the Hurricane and Spitfire pilots of RAF Fighter Command - held Goering's Luftwaffe at bay in the Battle of Britain, thereby changing the course of the war. For much of the twentieth century, warplanes were fixed in the world's imagination, a symbol of the perils and excitements of the modern era. But within the space of a hundred years, military aviation has morphed from the exotic to the mundane. An activity which was charged with danger - the domain of the daring - is now carried out by computers and pilotless drones.

Aviators have always seemed different to soldiers and sailors - more adventurous, questing and imaginative. Their stories gripped the public and in both wars and air aces dominated each side's propaganda, capturing hearts and dreams. Writing with the verve, passion and the sheer narrative aplomb familiar to many thousands of readers from his bestselling Second World War aerial histories, Fighter Boys and Bomber Boys, Patrick Bishop's Wings is a rich and compelling account of military flying from its heroic early days to the present.
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:38 pm

In the kindle store now for 61p 'Trailblazers:Test Pilots In Action, a collection of stories from test pilots, bit lacking in detail and the translation from the Russian pilot of the Yak 41 is a bit clunky (this might be the crash described http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPOo1jOqZTA) but for 61p you really can't argue.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:20 pm

Peter Caygill's book Phantom from the cockpit is now available on kindle for £1.02 ;)

MarkL

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:34 am

I can't remember the exact details, but Wing Commander 'Pablo' something (?) wrote a very good book, warts and all about Tornado ops in the 1991 conflict. I seem to to remember he was very unpopular afterwards and his career ground to a halt. Sorry I can't be more specifgic but no doubt someone on here will have the details. The other ones I read that were definitely worth it to get a wider view were Stormin Norman Schwarzkopf's and General Sir Peter de la Billiere's.

Just downloaded 'Apache:Riding The Dragon' from the Kindle store for £1.99. So far a bit disappointing, lots of waffle.

Mike

Post by Mike » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:37 am

Sparts99 wrote:I can't remember the exact details, but Wing Commander 'Pablo' something (?) wrote a very good book, warts and all about Tornado ops in the 1991 conflict. I seem to to remember he was very unpopular afterwards and his career ground to a halt.
That'll be Pablo Mason.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pablo_Mason

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Mon Jul 22, 2013 4:36 pm

Pablo's War - Sqn Ldr Pablo Mason, give Amazon a try there's a good chance you'll see it in there. ;)
Another book that covers the Gulf War is "Magnum" by Brick Eisel & Jim Schreiner (Pen & Sword), about the Wild Weasels in Desert Storm. Although I have a copy of this book admittedly I haven't read it yet so can't comment.
MarkL
Last edited by roughcutter on Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:19 am

Just downloaded 'Apache:Riding The Dragon' from the Kindle store for £1.99. So far a bit disappointing, lots of waffle.
Given up with this, it's fiction and not very good fiction at that. It's gone all Mills and Boon with a badly written romantic element, the Kindle Store description is misleading. Don't buy it.

south east spotter

Post by south east spotter » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Just finished a bucket of sunshine by mike brook, highly recommended.
Also some more of my faves include plane speaking by bill gunston, brilliant view of some key moments from aviation history.
Faster than the sun by peter twiss, great read about the fairey delta and lots more.
also recently finished tony blackmans test pilot great account of a incredible career.

lance

johnhowe

Post by johnhowe » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:05 am

Flying in Lancashire from Samlesbury and Warton Aerodromes volumes 1 & 2 by James H Longworth for a fuller
description see Warton Logs. Frank.

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:08 am

Currently reading 'Vulcan 607', would recommend it!
Last edited by MRTT on Wed Jun 01, 2016 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Tue Aug 06, 2013 9:33 am

This one is proving interesting - 'Great Aviation Collections of Britain' :thumb:
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”