Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aviation Books to read

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.

Re: Aviation Books to read

Postby mark.alan.barnes » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:32 am

Finally read 'A Higher Call' then 'Wings on my Sleeve' and can gladly state that they are both excellent reads especially if read in that order.
mark.alan.barnes

Postby Sparts99 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:27 am

Have you read 'Sigh For A Merlin'? If you liked Wings On My Sleeve you'll like that too.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.
Sparts99

Postby Thunder » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:45 am

Highy recommend "The First Heroes" the Extraordinary Story of the Doolittle Raid by Craig Nelson. Read it whilst in Iraq when there was nothing else to do at night. So good I read it twice back to back.
http://www.splashonemodelling.com/
Thunder

Postby paulh » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:54 pm

Picked up a copy of 'Buccaneer Boys' at the weekend from The Works in Grimsby priced at £7.00 :thumb:
I'm sure they will be available at their other outlets as well.

I also see they are available online at that price plus postage if anyone is interested.
(not started reading it yet).

Cheers Paul.
paulh

Postby Ryan22 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:39 pm

I picked up 'Tornado Boys' by Ian Hall and like the 'Lightning/Jaguar/Buccaneer etc Boys' titles, it is excellent. Done in a chronological format starting with the development flights through to fairly recent operations, the accounts from various pilots/WSOs/ground crew give a broad experience of the amazing Tonka and life on their relative squadrons. Some cracking photos to marvel at too. Well worth a read.
Ryan22

Postby MRTT » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:29 pm

Would also recommend 'Tornado Boys'- an excellent book! Has probably been mentioned before but I'd recommend 'Airshow' by Graham Hurley.
2017 Shows
Middle Wallop Gazelle Fly-In
Abingdon A&CS
Duxford Spring
RAF Cosford
Weston Super Mare
Yeovilton
RIAT (Fairford)
Old Sarum
Duxford September
MRTT

Previous