Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Breguet Atlantic

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Doughnut

Re: Breguet Atlantic

Post by Doughnut » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:38 pm

Without looking at the spec's to compare speed, range, payload etc. I would guess the age of the airframes and engines would be a problem, remember that all the French ones are Altantique NG, ie new build airframes from the eighties not the sixties. Although of course Italy still uses the older version, guess they can not aford to replace them ? Were the Dutch only a temporary user pending arrival of the P-3.

RichC

Post by RichC » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:45 pm

And the Dutch have since sold their P3s to Germany which replaced the Atlantic.
The Germans still use the Atlantic in the ELINT role... a newer version like the French examples i think.

You won't find the French using American gear unless they have too (such as the Hawkeye) and because the Atlantique is their own design i expect they prefered to opt and use it in an upgraded way.
Bit like the RAF using the Nimrod MR4 instead of anything else because the Nimrod MR2 is old and had it.

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Razor61 wrote: The Germans still use the Atlantic in the ELINT role... a newer version like the French examples i think.
As far as I know the German Navy will phase out their last Atlantic (61-03) next June as they have an Air Day scheduled at Nordholz NAS commemorating the fly-out and last flight of the Atlantic (see here: http://airday.mfg3.de/web/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). I haven't posted this in the respective airshow thread yet as their web site is still only available in German.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Nov 20, 2009 10:39 am

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”