Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Holiday Idea's . . . . .

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Stroudy

Re: Holiday Idea's . . . . .

Post by Stroudy » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:10 am

As Thunder says, be very careful in Greece especially. A friend and I were held by civilian police and air force authorities outside an air base in Greece simply for sitting near the approach to watch landing NATO aircraft on exercise. All of the camera equipment was purposely bagged up and locked in the boot as it's just a no-no to take pictures of military aircraft there from outside a base. No arrests were made but they held us by the car for an hour whilst they took our passports to check them out. All ended ok in the end as we had the correct paperwork and we were there for a media day the following morning, but it would have been very different I'm sure if we were just there on holiday and had the camera equipment in the car and taking pictures.

Don't forget they are still technically at war with Turkey (and vice versa) and any activity like this outside air bases will usually be met with an armed presense very quickly. Probably ok if you like and adrenaline holiday!

Mikey1050

Post by Mikey1050 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:28 pm

Just came back to this discussion to find some great suggestions !! Cheers people !
Sadly Vegas is well out of my budget otherwise it would be a no brainer !!!
I love Scotland but Lossiemouth is definitely not the kind of temperature i'm looking for sadly.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:36 pm

Murcia/La Manga area of Spain. You have San Javier AB close by with good access and I've seen some reports on here from there in the past.

grimm31

Post by grimm31 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:10 pm

I haven’t been for years but San Javier used to be fairly busy, particularly in the morning. The beach at Los Alcazares is pretty much on the approach at the southern end. You also used to be able to drive round to a campsite on the eastern side and get decent views of the runway. The main ramp was impossible to see from anywhere. The C101s and T35s were very active and visitors weren’t unusual either. Not sure what the state of play is now though.

grimm31

Post by grimm31 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:39 pm

Another option is getting a cheap Ryanair flight to Basel for a few days of Swiss lakes and mountains. Meiringen is superb if you get the right time of year (also good if you like Sherlock Holmes!) and Alpnach is awesome for close access. I believe that the Swiss AF actually publish details of their busy and quiet periods (avoid July and August basically!). I know it can be expensive but I went in 2004 for the 90th anniversary show at Payerne and by staying in a couple of Ibis hotels and finding cheaper local eats we didn’t break the bank at all.

lazybinman

Post by lazybinman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:32 pm

Can Pastilla in Majorca is virtually at the end of Palma's runway. Nice beach for OC Domestic, and if your lucky. The Spanish AF will be playingImage

Also a lot of these, but you have to take the rough with the smooth
If it cant be fixed with a hammer, then its an electrical problem.

Mike

Post by Mike » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:02 pm

How about St. Maarten in the Caribbean, really warm there all year round and only $2 for a bottle of beer? The GAF occasionally visit too. ;)

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:13 am

Ah,St Maarten. Lovely place but never saw any military stuff, but didn’t much care........... :)

roughcutter

Post by roughcutter » Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:50 am

If you're into USN, then try San Diego, particularly the lovely Coronado Beach which is right under the approach to NAS North Island :thumb:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”