Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Another MP jumps on the make me popular bandwagon - Low Flying Complaints

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Davef68

Re: Another MP idiot - Low Flying Complaints

Post by Davef68 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am

jem60 wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm
This M.P. is NOT an idiot. She is an elected representative of her constituents, and is therefore duty bound to act on their behalf if they have a complaint, whether or not she agrees with it!. The thread title should be changed.
It's an interesting question - should they react to one or two complaints when the rest are obviously happy enough not to complain? Or only if it suits their own agenda?

Re 70s and 80s, RAF low flying extended over a much wider area in those days

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:08 am

article didn't wait long to play the child card.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:15 am

Davef68 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:20 am
jem60 wrote:
This M.P. is NOT an idiot. She is an elected representative of her constituents, and is therefore duty bound to act on their behalf if they have a complaint, whether or not she agrees with it!. The thread title should be changed.
It's an interesting question - should they react to one or two complaints when the rest are obviously happy enough not to complain? Or only if it suits their own agenda?

Re 70s and 80s, RAF low flying extended over a much wider area in those days
Maybe they should spread the flying back out again, give us all something to look at.

Please, Please, Please start using the Tyne from the Mouth to the City Centre. Loads of different targets to practice attacks, If you want I'll paint a big red X on my roof for you

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 11:24 am

We don't know how many complaints there are. Someone suggested one or two. How do you know? People are reading far too much into this. She is simply running a public consultation following complaints to find out what peoples opinions are. This is simply doing her job for heavens sake!. There is nothing that says she is trying to ban it!. Regards, John. [one of probably few on here who has low-flown through that area in an R.A.F. jet. Vampire T.11 60 years ago!!] :) :)

markymash

Post by markymash » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm

jem60 wrote:
Thread title changed to appease you.

Tally-ho

Re: Another MP jumps on the make me popular bandwagon - Low Flying Complaints

Post by Tally-ho » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:56 pm

"The consultation is open until 28 September, after which Ms Saville Roberts hopes to present her findings to the MOD in October".

Hopefully those constituents who understand the reason for low flying will make their voices heard. I also trust the MOD will stand by their conviction that low flying training is an essential part of operational training and therefor refutes and rebuffs this orchestrated 'consultation' by Liz Saville Roberts MP. I note with interest that she also promotes and advocates things such as:-

- she wants to raise the age of recruitment into the military, she reckons 18 is too young.
- she asked the following question in parliament: What is the Govt doing to ensure that Snowdonia Aerospace at Llanbedr becomes the UK’s first horizontal-launch spaceport? 'Spaceport' in Wales? And how much noise and disruption will that generate?
- she calls for more refugees to be settled in the UK. To be funded by the tax payer.

I rest my case.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Perhaps they can build a new camp on her Back door

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:04 pm

Markymash. Thankyou. Actually, at my age you don't need to appease me. I just thought it was wrong for her to be pilloried for something she had not done. Bit like being guilty before the hearing. Spaceport wouldn't be that bad an idea. Wales would benefit considerably from it workforce wise, and there would be noise, but not as common as low-flying aircraft, and certainly if there was noise, it would be a rare event, wouldn't it???. :)

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:57 pm

I suspect that Ms Saville-Roberts's concern is not military low flying per se, but the unusual, even unique, concentration in the valleys surrounding Maesglase and the Dyfi Fforest, where there is some evidence that the recent increase has not been generated entirely by operational or training needs.

The UKLFS was reviewed and reformed in 1979 and effectively turned inside-out with the principal objective of spreading the noise footprint and removing such choke points from the system. The new system is still far from perfect (there have been since its introduction four fatal accidents and a number of near misses) but it represents a compromise between flight safety and environmental impact.

It was never the intention of those who designed the system to increase exposure to low flying in any particular location, but it is unfortunate for the residents (and fortunate for a few photographers) that the system of contiguous flowed valleys in this part of Mid-Wales has done just that.
Last edited by nickowen on Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 5:35 am

NICK. Thankyou for you're balanced post. There are always two sides to a discussion. :)

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:33 am

I suspect that there will be even more use with the move from Linton to valley and the stand up of another Hawk Squadron. It's a fine balance between training on Sims and actual flight time needed.To anyone moving into the area I have no sympathy as flying has been happening for decades and if you don't like the noise don't buy in the he area. It reminds me of when the Hercs moved from Lyneham to Brize and some of
the locals complained of the noise.Really you are living next to a military airbase that operates 24/7!.
There is finite geographical locations in the UK to train so to close use of the Welsh Valleys would move the problem elsewhere and where.
Bottom line is whatever happens it's not a win situation for someone.
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

nickowen

Post by nickowen » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:15 pm

The "Machynlleth Loop" was created to deconflict low level traffic in transit, but has since become an objective in itself. There are plenty of other valleys in Wales which are underused by the UKLFS (e.g. here in Dyffryn Clwyd, we see fewer than half a dozen low fliers per annum, a fraction of the traffic we used to see in the 60s and 70s when the vale was part of the Large Aircraft Corridor.). The need to accommodate an increase in Hawk and Texan sorties out of Valley will require the TBC to spread the environmental impact more widely and as a by-product may give the area around the Dyfi Fforest a bit of respite.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”