Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Queens fly past

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
plmc135

Re: Queens fly past

Post by plmc135 » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:34 am

Details of NOTAM's for RAF100 are in the NOTAM section

lambo1784

Post by lambo1784 » Sun Jun 17, 2018 1:53 pm

This link might be of interest.
http://www.military-airshows.co.uk/pres ... st2018.htm

Thinking of going to City airport to graph the flypast rather than Waterloo bridge as usual,anybody done the same for others or are they to far north?

John in Seaford

Vulcan74

Post by Vulcan74 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:40 pm

The biggest and the best i've ever seen was the Royal Review at RAF Finningley 1977, which will never be repeated.

rh226

Post by rh226 » Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Pete Da Bear wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Maybe it's time to call a halt to this fly past in its present form. Trooping the colour is an army tradition after all. That's what the crowd is really interested in along with seeing the royals. BBMF and Red Arrows would be more than enough as a finale to the event.
I think you have missed the point, Pete. Both of these are part of the celebrations for the monarch's official birthday.

The Trooping of the Colour comes first and is an ages old tradition that has now been formalised to occur on this particular day. The RAF flypast, which is timed to happen once the monarch has returned to Buckingham Palace and appeared on the balcony, is merely a birthday salute to the monarch and has nothing to do with the Trooping of the Colour.
Cheers, Bob

Pete Da Bear

Post by Pete Da Bear » Tue Jun 19, 2018 11:14 pm

rh226 wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 10:20 pm
Pete Da Bear wrote:
Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:50 pm
Maybe it's time to call a halt to this fly past in its present form. Trooping the colour is an army tradition after all. That's what the crowd is really interested in along with seeing the royals. BBMF and Red Arrows would be more than enough as a finale to the event.
I think you have missed the point, Pete. Both of these are part of the celebrations for the monarch's official birthday.

The Trooping of the Colour comes first and is an ages old tradition that has now been formalised to occur on this particular day. The RAF flypast, which is timed to happen once the monarch has returned to Buckingham Palace and appeared on the balcony, is merely a birthday salute to the monarch and has nothing to do with the Trooping of the Colour.
My point was that the crowds are not that interested in the fly past, also the TV coverage is beyond awful, so the BBMF and Reds as a finale are adequate. If there is to be a fly past then I think it could / should be beefed up and not the present under whelming token gesture it is at present. :(

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:11 am

So if you think that the BBMF and Red Arrows is adequate, then how can anything extra be underwhelming? Make your mind up!

In addition, the budget only stretches so far and in this anniversary year there are more demands on the RAF. It is a shrinking force so can only do so much.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”