Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

CAA lifts restrictions on some jet aerobatics.

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
jem60

CAA lifts restrictions on some jet aerobatics.

Post by jem60 » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:43 pm

Straight-winged jets are now permitted to do aerobatics at Airshows, but restrictions still remain for swept wing aircraft, except perhaps over the sea subject to some conditions. There was a comment that the F.104 Starfighter is straight winged, but dream on.....it also has an afterburner. :@ :@

Funtera

Re: CAA lifts restrictions on some jet aerobatics.

Post by Funtera » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:46 pm

It's a start in the right direction but I fear that our Airshow Displays will never be as good as they were again
Fox2 Refugee & HATO
EOS50D + 70-300mm IS USM .. +Luck = My Pics

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:41 pm

jem60 wrote:Straight-winged jets are now permitted to do aerobatics at Airshows, but restrictions still remain for swept wing aircraft, except perhaps over the sea subject to some conditions. There was a comment that the F.104 Starfighter is straight winged, but dream on.....it also has an afterburner. :@ :@
'Straight wing' and 'swept wing' are generic terms for the two categories of single-engined jets - the actual definition is 'by type'. This means that each type is judged on its handling characteristics, regardless of actual wing shape, and categorised accordingly. :)

PR9

Post by PR9 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:35 am

Some good news for the airshow scene. :thumb:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:15 pm

Surely the CAA have made it quite clear that swept wing jets will NOT be permitted aerobatic.s Straight wing jets are limited by the fact that there are not many types still around in this country that would cause the CAA to restrict them, or am I missing something here?? Vampire, Jet Provost and it's brethren, Meteor, and I guess that's about it?

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Tue Mar 27, 2018 4:49 pm

Well the Meteor is/will be out of the picture shortly.

The T.7 has gone to Liverpool for shipment to a new owner in the USA and the NF.11 is, I believe following it soon. Although to be fair Mike Collett at Coventry had all but lost interest in displaying the fleet prior to Shoreham. And as there were no UK buyers....

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Mar 27, 2018 7:20 pm

Perhaps Martin Baker could be persuaded to display one of their Meteor T7 1/2's possibly??? so not totally out of the picture yet. Don't hold your breath about it tho'. :(

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:47 am

jem60 wrote:Surely the CAA have made it quite clear that swept wing jets will NOT be permitted aerobatic.s Straight wing jets are limited by the fact that there are not many types still around in this country that would cause the CAA to restrict them, or am I missing something here?? Vampire, Jet Provost and it's brethren, Meteor, and I guess that's about it?
The Meteor isn't single engine though, so the relaxation doesn't apply.

So, just JP/Strikemaster, and Vampires then...? :unsure:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”