Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Red Arrows Incident Updated 21.3.18

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
venom

Re: Red Arrows Incident Update

Post by venom » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:54 am

rip my thoughts with the
family
colin

jem60

Post by jem60 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:36 am

Just because many of us don't post R.I.P.etc., doesn't mean we don't care. I never post that, because we are all thinking the same thoughts. Just saying....

Morseman

Post by Morseman » Wed Mar 21, 2018 8:55 am

With you jem60.
Mick

cj9ru

Post by cj9ru » Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:02 pm

A very sad day for all concerned. Thoughts with the family of the engineer and also with the pilot who survived.

Chris

Tiger 1

Post by Tiger 1 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 5:31 pm

An extremely sad day for all concerned... my thoughts go out to the engineers family and friends... to the pilot at this difficult time, a fast recovery and to the Reds and Blues of this fantastic Display Team.

T1

reaper493

Post by reaper493 » Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:10 pm

lambo1784

Re: Red Arrows Incident Updated 21.3.18

Post by lambo1784 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:14 am

Photo in the Daily Mail showing jet in flames.In very poor taste,no thought for the relatives of the engineer.

John in Seaford

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:03 am

Wonder which a**ehole supplied them with the pictures, absolutely no scruples what so ever. Hope they aren't forum members..
Cameraless

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:06 am

Wherever there is a disaster where people have lost their lives, there will always be pictures. Airliner crashes, car accidents etc. Just normal news reporting. People want to know details. The press does, however, draw the line at showing pictures of victims. That would be poor taste. There are guidelines in place. Surely, if there was an unfortunate disaster at, say, Heathrow, you can't realistically expect the press not to show pictures???. Not ar.....s, just reporters etc. doing their job. It's slightly odd that nobody complained on this site about the immediate pictures of the Shoreham accident, where 11 people lost their lives, with pretty graphic images, cars on fire, probably victims still in them. Not much thought for relatives??????, but no complaints here, not one. Lets keep a balance on this.

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:28 am

jem60 wrote:Wherever there is a disaster where people have lost their lives, there will always be pictures. Airliner crashes, car accidents etc. Just normal news reporting. People want to know details.
Absolutely correct. News both written and pictorial are in the public interest, we have a right to know.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:03 am

As a codicil to my previous post, I am probably one of few on this site who has had the misfortune to video a fatal Air Show crash at close quarters. [Mustang collision, Oshkosh 2007?] My film showed the lead up, the collision and the aftermath. I was offered money by a local TV. company, and a newspaper reporter. My reply was that I was not interested in making money over someone who just died over there. The people around me applauded me, and my tape was given over to the NTSB [National Transportation Safety Board, who never returned it.] I mention this just in case people think I am an uncaring B..tard. I'm not. Merely a realist!. My friend next to me took very graphic pics as the accident happened, and he didn't give them to the press either.

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:21 am

Tally-ho wrote:
jem60 wrote:Wherever there is a disaster where people have lost their lives, there will always be pictures. Airliner crashes, car accidents etc. Just normal news reporting. People want to know details.
Absolutely correct. News both written and pictorial are in the public interest, we have a right to know.
It's rubber necking.. I'm fairly sure the RAF requested any pictures or video be sent directly to them to assist in any investigation. Sending images to the Daily Fail for a cash payment is abhorrent. Imagine how Corporal Bayliss' family are feeling right now.... and then they see that article

The FB backlash to the article is being torn to shreds by everyone with most demanded it be taken down.

If the feeling of this forum is that it should be publicly displayed on the internet, then my faith in the aviation community has taken a substantial dent and I am left questioning why I am a member of a forum who's members condone such merciless, gratuitous insensitive reporting..
Cameraless

jem60

Post by jem60 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:31 am

Mark. I respect your view entirely. We are a very small community of Aircraft Enthusiasts, not the general public, who may simply read the article and simply move on. What happened at Valley means much more to us than it does to them, but we have absolutely no clout when it comes to what papers print, so we can wring our hands as much as we like, but nothing is going to change because of us in respect of this sort of happening. I don't condone it, but that's the way it is. Please stay on the Forum!!!.Regards, John.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am

Having worked in the Aviation side of publishing I can say its a two way split really.

Aerospace Publishing used to do the partwork Take Off in the late 80s and early 90s before I started there. And a re-launched version of it post Desert Storm after I started working for them. Take Off covered numerous worldwide civilian/military accidents from a scientific/AAIB point of view. Rather like the Discovery Channel Air Crash Investigation.

Aside from that I had the task of doing picture research for World Air Power Journal and the various books Aerospace did. Like the Gulf Air War Debrief, (remember the highway of death? Also issue 37 for the Mil Mi-24 article sticks out here, and images of its various combat ops. For every one image of the -24 in action in Chechnya there were 100s of photos of sniper/landmine/bomb victims. (not the prettiest things to look at, rest assured)

While working at Key Publishing I never had to actually find many pictures for any of the magazines. Flypast had a no actual crash photo policy for warbird accidents. However AFM (still) does the monthly round up of Military Accidents.

Other magazines I know of did publishing actual accident photos (mostly by Press agency photographers) and another magazine that no longer exists did a review of accidents that had happened at UK shows from the 50s till the mid 90s.

My point is this. Maybe some did get tempted by money for one photo of a burning Hawk. Sad maybe, But you haven't seen the worst of what I have. Rail/Road and other accidents are no different which ever way you look at it.

Terry Tibbs

Post by Terry Tibbs » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:32 pm

Last edited by Terry Tibbs on Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 2:55 pm

Mark wrote:Wonder which a**ehole supplied them with the pictures, absolutely no scruples what so ever. Hope they aren't forum members..
Have a look over on UKAR, you can then hunt him down on faceache, and vent your spleen.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 3:30 pm

I will point out that despite having (and thankfully while not taking photos of them) seen the P-38, RN Firefly and Ryan NYP fatal Accidents

I was not be tempted to sell them to the media nor would I do that even if I saw something similar .

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:05 pm

Wearing a Hard-hat, Stab-vest & a Condom, hopefully I'm sufficiently protected for the comment I need to add!
From personal experience of such matters regarding loss of friends & relatives in traumatic circumstances, I'm aware that 'knowing' what happened is often better than the endless 'how & why?' process that grief brings.
Its just my view of things. Please always remember that Dying doesn't hurt...but Living does!

toom317

Post by toom317 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:36 pm

Vulcanone wrote:I will point out that despite having (and thankfully while not taking photos of them) seen the P-38, RN Firefly and Ryan NYP fatal Accidents

I was not be tempted to sell them to the media nor would I do that even if I saw something similar .
Well if you didn't take any photos of those incidents, you wouldn't have been in a position to sell photos, would you!
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Thu Mar 22, 2018 4:42 pm

Ooops misworded that...

I meant.....wouldn't be tempted to sell anything :ninja: :whistle:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”