Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aldergrove to lose Islanders and Defenders

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Army Air 847

Aldergrove to lose Islanders and Defenders

Post by Army Air 847 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 3:11 am

On my travels around the interweb I found this artical, I have to say NI seems to be losing all it's aircraft especially when the last of the Gazelles go :'(

[A further reorganisation of UKSF aviation comes in the form of the move of the AAC's fixed wing surveillance aircraft to the RAF. 651 Squadron AAC currently operates a fleet of Islander and Defender surveillance aircraft. Under plans to transfer the governance of the "Fixed Wing Manned Aerial Surveillance Capability" from the Army to the RAF, the aircraft will move to new base and be manned by RAF crews.]

Full link to article: http://www.eliteukforces.info/uk-milita ... s-uksf.php

PR9

Re: Aldergrove to lose Islanders and Defenders

Post by PR9 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Waddo? :ninja:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Precinct7

Post by Precinct7 » Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:44 pm

That report is dated October 17,
was there not talk at the time that the RAF are not interested in receiving Islander & Defenders ??

Supra

Post by Supra » Fri Mar 16, 2018 2:16 pm

Not sure what role the Islanders in the RAF would have? The days of having a 'Station-Hack' are long gone! Maybe they could be interim 'Coastwatch' Islander ASW1 until the much vaunted P8 is integrated :whistle:
If the RAF take-on the Defenders won't that dilute (to a degree?)the case for retaining the Sentinels? :unsure:

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:04 pm

Not really given the differences between whatever kit a Sentinel has in it. The clue being you don't see many Defenders with large under fuselage fairings or any on top of the fuselage either.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:18 pm

From what I understand, the transfer was mostly administrative; the Islanders were withdrawn from use (both AAC and RAF) and the Defenders are still flown by Army Air Corps crews.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”