Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Idle Curiosity Re Hornet Rudders

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
wolfie138

Idle Curiosity Re Hornet Rudders

Post by wolfie138 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:50 am

i'm modelling a plane and like the F18, she has non-vertical tailfins, and an idle thought struck me ~ how do the rudders on an F18 work? being angled, doesn't that cause the plane to twist rather than move horizontally?

Dazza37

Re: Idle Curiosity Re Hornet Rudders

Post by Dazza37 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:29 pm

wolfie138 wrote:...how do the rudders on an F18 work? being angled, doesn't that cause the plane to twist rather than move horizontally?
No, the rudders, as with all other control surfaces are controlled by the jet's FCS, if the pilot inputs a rudder demand, the FCS decides how much is appropriate and will also add aileron or maybe even opposite rudder deflection if needed to counter any (if there even is any?) 'twisting' action, hope that helps...

-Dazza
I rock, you don't...

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:54 am

thank you :-)
don't think i'll bother w/ that level of detail when i rig the rudders though, given the plane's a made-up concepty thing.

cheers

Seahornet1

Post by Seahornet1 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:33 am

wolfie138 wrote:thank you :-)
don't think i'll bother w/ that level of detail when i rig the rudders though, given the plane's a made-up concepty thing.

cheers
Almost all aircraft have a rudder(s) that is predominantly above the centre line, which means that a slight rolling force will be imposed in the opposite direction to that of the rudder deflection. However, this is more than counteracted by the (usually) much greater rolling force created by the aircraft yawing in the direction of the rudder. The angle of the Hornet's rudders will make no difference at all to these rolling forces. The only difference that the angle makes is that when both are equally deflected, one will tend to pitch the nose up, and the other will tend to pitch nose down; naturally, these forces will cancel each other out, so there's no net effect.

As for your model, you don't need to make any special arrangements for the angled rudders. Any slight differences in response (compared to the perpendicular variety) will be undetectable in comparison with the inevitable differences in control response from one aircraft to another. :)

wolfie138

Post by wolfie138 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:46 am

very informative! thanks :-)

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”