Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Landing on Highways

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ghost from above

Re: Landing on Highways

Post by Ghost from above » Wed Jan 17, 2018 6:51 pm

found this one on you tube all about the Gripen turn around at a dispersed road runway.

https://youtu.be/49L9BlYQSjw
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

sschofield

Post by sschofield » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:12 pm

http://www.forgottenairfields.com/eston ... -s269.html

Interesting that this link refers to the USAF pranging one of their A-10'a in Estonia, wasn't aware of that?

Ghost from above

Post by Ghost from above » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:51 am

jem60 wrote:Out of interest, and slightly off-thread, at least two Vulcans, possibly three, and two Comets were landed on the grass at R.A.F. Halton for a permanent stay.
Pictures are in the 'Bucks Herald' archive. about 1960 ish.
And to add to this, I know that discussions were had about retiring a Vulcan to Sywell Aerodrome for static display. If it had happened, then the landing would have been on grass as there was no concrete runway then. I seem to remember that landing length was the main problem.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

herc15

Post by herc15 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:35 pm

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:56 pm

DanD'Air. Had trouble stopping a Cessna 182 there on wet grass many years ago. Poor flying from me tho'. Vulcan? Not surprised it didn't happen!!. :)

NAM Updater

Post by NAM Updater » Sun Jan 21, 2018 9:48 pm

On 14 September 1964 Vulcan B1 XA905 landed on the grass runway at RAF Newton, Notts - first Vulcan aircraft I ever went in the cockpit of!

Sort of back on topic, back in the early 1990s I sought approval to land the RDAF Draken on the recently competed A17 bypass close to the museum; request declined plus we also had to have a secure location so that it could be fully deactivated - it ended up at RAF Scampton!
Howard Heeley - Newark Air Museum Trustee
Every museum visit counts!
http://newarkairmuseum.org

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:27 pm

As well as the Vulcan, late 60's a Shackleton landed at Newton one Sunday afternoon, coming to rest just before the farm house which is still there. they ignited a couple of flares on the threshold on Shelford Road to indicate the airfield boundary.
The RSAF in Sweden in 71 had slipper tanks and dispersals along a number of roads. they were definitely launch capable.
Back in the 80's i was at the departure day at Greenham when quite a stack was building to get airborne, caused by permission clearance further down the line across europe.
At this point, think it was a home based Jag that cut the red tape, slipped across a small area of grass and roared away back to base.

hernaman86

Post by hernaman86 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:02 pm

So does anyone know, is this even in the list of RAF options, do we have any roads which are designated as runways should they need to be used? surely they have some, it just makes sense doesn't it, modern jets need much less equipment now as well to be supported so they only need a place to re-arm and re-fuel?

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 1:37 pm

Personally, I doubt it. To put it quite simply, there are many civilian airports, R.A.F stations, etc.within a minute or two of FJ aircraft. Why would one consider the logistical nightmare of closing a motorway at very short notice when more than adequate runways exist all over the shop at very quick notice.? I have no doubt that there are lengths of motorway that COULD be used, but, in my opinion, why would that ever be the case.?. Certainly, for countries that don't have abundant airfields, then it probably becomes a sensible option to research the possibility of off airfield operations, but certainly not in this country.
I can't think of a scenario when one could, for example, use the M.4, when there is Fairford, Brize, Kemble, Bristol etc all within a pilot's throttle sneeze in a fast jet. So, in the U.K. I shouldn't think it has been contemplated., but I may be wrong.

Pete_uk

Post by Pete_uk » Tue Jan 23, 2018 3:49 pm

Didn't a Jaguar land and take off from a bit of unfinished motorway at some point?

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jan 23, 2018 4:16 pm

Yes apparently on the M55 in 1975. At work so no time for detail but just Google Jaguar jet motorway and several links appear

jem60

Post by jem60 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:56 pm

Several posts about the Jaguar on page 1 of this thread. The possibility of motorway runways was obviously looked at in those days, but not pursued

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:58 pm

:Oops: that will teach me to read a thread before posting!

eagle driver

Post by eagle driver » Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:11 pm

Viewers of Ch 48 will know of the Flight bites which are often broadcast during commercial breaks, one of these is about the Jaguar in service and includes footage of a jaguar taking of from a grass strip,along with more conventional take off s and landings.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”