Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

XR713

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
hernaman86

XR713

Post by hernaman86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:28 pm

does anybody know if the LPG plan to get her running again, just when i went this year, i noticed they had a couple of engines in the corner covered up, i also understand the air frame was uncut and has been dismantled and put back together correctly so is structurally good, i'm sure its not a case of just dropping in the engines and away you go, but is it at least possible with the air frame and the engines (if they are any good)

XR221

Re: XR713

Post by XR221 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:05 pm

In answer to your question, the following is quoted from page 15 of The Lightning Preservation Group publication 'Lightning Legend'. It is part of an article about the LPG called 'Lightnings live on!' which gives coverage to 'Project Silver Bird - XR713' and the dismantling, transportation and re assembly of XR713 by the LPG -
"As work progressed exposed electrical looms were cut and marked so that eventually they could be reconnected to return electrical power to the cockpit. While XR713 will never be a 'runner' we wanted to get as much functioning as possible."
Despite that, I would imagine it would be more accurate to say that the LPG appear to have no plans at this time for XR713 to be a 'runner'?

hernaman86

Re: XR713

Post by hernaman86 » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:27 pm

Oh right interesting, shame too, I need to try and find that publication and read it, thanks for the information.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”