Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

12 Squadron to reform on Typhoon

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Flightline UK

12 Squadron to reform on Typhoon

Post by Flightline UK » Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:28 pm

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/defe ... atar-event
Defence Secretary Gavin Williamson was in Doha last weekend, where he agreed a package of training and co-operation between the British and Qatari Air Forces which will see them working together more regularly as part of the multi-billion pound deal to supply the country with 24 Typhoon aircraft.

Defence Minister Harriett Baldwin expanded on that agreement at a State of Qatar National Day reception in London today. She revealed that a new UK-based Typhoon joint squadron will be called No. 12 squadron, and that it will temporarily integrate Qatari personnel, including pilots and ground-crew based at RAF Coningsby, Lincolnshire.

Defence Minister Harriett Baldwin said:

“Qatar proudly becomes the ninth nation to buy the world’s leading multi-role combat aircraft.

“The formation of a joint squadron means our RAF will take the lead in providing training and support to the Qatari Emiri Air Force as it brings the Typhoon into service.”

The Qataris will not be a permanent part of the squadron, but will be integrated ahead of the delivery of the Typhoon aircraft. The move will provide the country with valuable joint frontline experience on an RAF Typhoon Squadron and speed up their preparation for when their own jets are delivered.

The UK and Qatar already share a close defence relationship, with a joint-exercise between the Royal Air Force and Qatar Air force just last week seeing Typhoon aircraft fly over the Arabian Peninsula. Defence Minister Harriett Baldwin visited the country at the end of last month, where she met the pilots taking part in the exercise.

The two countries share mutual interests in countering violent extremism, and ensuring stability in the region, and this formation will further reinforce those ties by helping to prevent terrorism from spreading and protecting the prosperity and security of the UK at home. The new 12 squadron is currently operating Tornados, and will transition to the future Typhoon force.

The biggest export deal for the Typhoon project in a decade, valued at around £6 billion and sustaining thousands of UK jobs, Qatar is the ninth country to purchase the Typhoon. This year also saw the first delivered to Oman, whilst the MOD is leading the offer to replace Belgium’s F-16s with the jets and continues to discuss the prospect of a second batch of sales to Saudi Arabia, as it continues to bang the drum for Britain’s world-leading aerospace industry around the world.

Gary
Administrator

Re: 12 Squadron to reform on Typhoon

Post by Gary » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:16 pm

So effectively a second OCU until the Qatari are ready :S then what? Turn into one of the mythical air defence squadron? Very odd
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Phoon

Post by Phoon » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:29 pm

Gary wrote:So effectively a second OCU until the Qatari are ready :S then what? Turn into one of the mythical air defence squadron? Very odd
Pretty much. 29 sdn will be busy training pilots for our own additional squadrons announced in the 2015 SDR. 12 will gradually work upto to an operational role in the process.

Fighterfoto

Post by Fighterfoto » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:44 pm

12 will form in the usual way as one of the two new Typhoon squadrons. For an undisclosed period it will have Qatari personnel integrated into it but it certainly will become a new frontline Typhoon squadron. Let's hope we see at least one in full markings, should look very smart.
Never trust a grown man with a nickname

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:58 pm

Fighterfoto wrote: Let's hope we see at least one in full markings, should look very smart.
I wouldnt get excited about that, tiny miniscule badge on the tail, if, megga big if, they bother at all
Growing old disgracefully

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:52 pm

.....then VFR would be the order of the day........Variable Fox Recognition. :lol:
Cheers, Bob

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:23 pm

Do Typhoons fly VFR!!!!??? Thought they just fart about at 40k!? Hahaha.
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:33 pm

Fighterfoto wrote:Let's hope we see at least one in full markings, should look very smart.
I think we'll probably just get the joyless pool of jets now that the RAF pretty much runs a 'car share' programme for it's aeroplanes... :@

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:25 pm

Probably because it isn't in their remit to satisfy the needs of spotters and photographers. Their task is a far more important one.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I think that any Squadron reforming should be met with applause regardless if they appear in full markings or not. Wonder what the other Squadron will be then?

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:31 pm

Not picked up on in some of the media was the statement that there will be 8 (eight) RAF Typhoon Squadrons, up from the previously stated 7.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 5:11 pm

Nighthawke wrote:Probably because it isn't in their remit to satisfy the needs of spotters and photographers.
No, but it is good for morale, when your working with "your own" airframes.
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

kstater94

Post by kstater94 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 7:20 pm

Agent K wrote:Not picked up on in some of the media was the statement that there will be 8 (eight) RAF Typhoon Squadrons, up from the previously stated 7.
I read this today as well

So, dismissing 1435 Flt (obviously not a squadron) and 29, and 41 (not considered "frontline") we have the following squadrons (or soon to be formed):

Lossie
1 Squadron
2 Squadron
6 Squadron

Coningsby
3 Squadron
11 Squadron
12 Squadron

The article I read stated that the (now added 8th squadron) will be created by pulling airframes from the other 7 squadrons (each will have 12 aircraft "assigned").

If I remember right, the article stated that remaining squadron would be formed between 2018 - 2023

Cheers

John

Reach1985

Post by Reach1985 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:52 pm

toom317 wrote:
Nighthawke wrote:Probably because it isn't in their remit to satisfy the needs of spotters and photographers.
Absolutely! A bit of heraldry and war paint works a treat I'm sure. Plus it rather devalues the tradition of a squadron if it doesn't have any 'hard' assets that are clearly marked as theirs which they can be proud of.

Unknown74

Post by Unknown74 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:00 pm

I was under the impression that there were 2 new Typhoon Squadrons to be formed one at Lossiemouth and one at Coningsby so I take it 12 Sqdn is the one to be based at Coningsby with the other still to be named at Lossie. Unless this has been shelved due to Fallon having departed and "Spider Boy" coming in.

TARGET

Post by TARGET » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:46 pm

Unless I have missed it there appears no information as to when 12Sqdn. is due to Stand Up. The Qatari Typhoons are due to commence delivery in 2022 so could be some years yet before we actually see anything.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sat Dec 16, 2017 9:01 pm

Unknown74 wrote:I was under the impression that there were 2 new Typhoon Squadrons to be formed one at Lossiemouth and one at Coningsby so I take it 12 Sqdn is the one to be based at Coningsby with the other still to be named at Lossie. Unless this has been shelved due to Fallon having departed and "Spider Boy" coming in.
As has been said above, yes there were 2 additional squadrons planned but with this weeks statement that will now be 3 giving 8 squadrons.

Gary
Administrator

Post by Gary » Mon Feb 12, 2018 4:18 pm

Bit form info about the UK / Qatari squadron, going to play a role in the 2022 Qatar World Cup. Unconfirmed reports say it's the only way the Scottish will be involved in the World Cup :whistle: ;) :lol:
A joint Qatar-UK operational squadron will play a vital role in securing the skies during the FIFA 2022 Qatar World Cup, HE the Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Defence Affairs Dr Khalid bin Mohamed al-Attiyah has said. The establishment of the joint operational squadron was agreed between the two countries in December last year.

Delivering a speech at the Royal United Services Institute (RUSI), he said the squadron will ensure "mutual combat readiness, further our joint actions in combating terrorism and advance our strategic efforts towards the stability of our region and beyond". The minister said: "This squadron will also play a vital role in securing our skies during the 2022 World Cup, which despite people's fruitless efforts, will be hosted by Qatar".

He said his current visit to London was aimed at further advancing and solidifying Qatar-UK strategic military-to-military relationship. "We have recently signed a landmark defense cooperation agreement with the UK concerning the purchase of (24) Eurofighter Typhoon aircraft. This agreement builds on the historic friendship that joins both nations and further advances the strategic defence partnership that aims to serve our common security objectives."

He said RUSI has been a trusted partner in providing training courses to Qatari diplomats since 2014, and fondly recalled his days in the UK as a trainee fighter pilot. "It was here in the skies above RAF valley in Wales that I flew as a young fighter pilot in training.".......
http://www.gulf-times.com/story/578550/ ... during-202
Posh BSM Trophy winners 2024

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:58 pm

I’m currently in Qatar, I’ll see if I can find out anything.... :D

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:40 pm

toom317 wrote:
Exactly. They did it for ever with jet squadrons, and it's only recently that it's changed during the time of the Typhoon.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”