Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

12 Squadron to reform on Typhoon

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
slogen51

Re: 12 Squadron to reform on Typhoon

Post by slogen51 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:22 pm

Nighthawke wrote:Probably because it isn't in their remit to satisfy the needs of spotters and photographers. Their task is a far more important one.

Other airforces carry squadron markings as did the RAF in days gone by - they had important tasks as well

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:04 pm

The Phantom wrote:Exactly. They did it for ever with jet squadrons, and it's only recently that it's changed during the time of the Typhoon.
I think the practice of removing Sqn insignia on FJ's started with the Tornado in the early to mid 2000's , then Harrier and now Typhoon.

tonkatom

Post by tonkatom » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:14 pm

Usual problems,two fewer FJs to perform to much of a workload! If they all look and are capable of doing the job required then it's simple for the crew/squadrons.
May the skies be clear and blue and the wind fair with a guiding star to steer by.

Motley

Post by Motley » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:58 pm

toom317 wrote:
Nighthawke wrote:Probably because it isn't in their remit to satisfy the needs of spotters and photographers.
No, but it is good for morale, when your working with "your own" airframes.
The thing with this is that the attitude of most engineers in the RAF is not that, most engineers i have met while working on Sqn dont care about the sqns traditions and identidy, they just want to turn up do the work and get paid, thats the way it is now, so markings or not wouldnt have much of an effect on morale i feel

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”