Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Possible new Chinook order for RAF

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
eagle driver

Possible new Chinook order for RAF

Post by eagle driver » Tue Sep 12, 2017 3:43 pm

U.K. plots fresh Chinook helicopter acquisition

11 September 2017

BY: Dominic Perry
FlightGlobal

London — The U.K. is considering a fresh acquisition of Boeing CH-47 Chinook heavy-lift helicopters to replace the oldest examples in its current inventory.

Rear Adm Jon Pentreath, chief of Joint Helicopter Command, speaking at the Future of Military Rotorcraft conference in London on 11 September, said further “modernisation of the Chinook fleet” is being contemplated.

This, he says, would “converge the requirements with the U.S. Army specification” and address potential obsolescence issues.

Boeing produces both the baseline F-model Chinook, as well as the MH-47G special forces variant, which features a number of upgrades, including inflight refuelling capability.

The Royal Air Force’s oldest Chinooks have been in service since 1980 and have been progressively upgraded from their original HC1 specification to the latest HC4 and HC6A standards.

However, despite the ongoing modernisation, including the recent addition of Thales cockpits, common to the rest of the RAF's CH-47 fleet, and a digital automatic flight control system, the airframes are approaching the end of their lives.

With the USA signalling that F-model Chinooks will continue operating until 2050 or later, combined with the start of work on the so-called Block II performance upgrade package, London sees an opportunity to further invest in its inventory.

Any U.K. acquisition would focus on Block II aircraft, which are due to begin delivering to the U.S. Army from 2023, with systems transferred across from the current fleet.

No decision has been taken on whether to retain the present Thales cockpits or move to the U.S. Army-standard flightdeck, with the latter approach potentially offering a cost saving through commonality.

U.S. Block II upgrades encompass both the standard F-model Chinook and the MH-47G. Although Washington has approved multiple overseas sales of the CH-47F, it has yet to conclude an export deal for the G-variant.

FlightGlobal understands that U.K. personnel have already visited the USA to evaluate the aircraft ahead of any potential acquisition.

Boeing in 2015 delivered the final aircraft to the RAF from a £1 billion ($1.31 billion) order for 14 new-build HC6 Chinooks.

Mark

Re: Possible new Chinook order for RAF

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:29 pm

Woohoo!! Seeing as they always get shipped over via Liverpool with the shipping company I work and photograph for (ACL), I'm absolutely delighted with that news!!

Although I'm pretty sure it was 8 aircraft with the last being ZK563.
Cameraless

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 12, 2017 5:37 pm

Cameraless

toom317

Post by toom317 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Enjoyed your pics from the docks Mark. Better get your spot staked out and reserved for these coming. :D
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

Davef68

Post by Davef68 » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:21 pm

Mark wrote:Woohoo!! Seeing as they always get shipped over via Liverpool with the shipping company I work and photograph for (ACL), I'm absolutely delighted with that news!!

14 - ZK550 to ZK563

Freeman Lowell

Post by Freeman Lowell » Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:25 pm

I guess you must have been on A/L for some of those deliveries Mark ;), but in all seriousness don't you hope to be retired by the time these arrive in 10 years :unsure: time?
Freeman
It’s not what you look at that matters. It’s what you see.

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:24 am

Davef68 wrote:
Mark wrote:Woohoo!! Seeing as they always get shipped over via Liverpool with the shipping company I work and photograph for (ACL), I'm absolutely delighted with that news!!

14 - ZK550 to ZK563
550-555 we're the year before the batch that came through Seaforth docks though..
Cameraless

Mark

Post by Mark » Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:25 am

Freeman Lowell wrote:I guess you must have been on A/L for some of those deliveries Mark ;), but in all seriousness don't you hope to be retired by the time these arrive in 10 years :unsure: time?
Freeman
I'll only be 57, if it actually takes that long to get them...
Cameraless

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”