Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

New lease of life for Tristars in private air refueling

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Ghost from above

New lease of life for Tristars in private air refueling

Post by Ghost from above » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:02 am

Interesting article.looks like another company like Omega entering the private air refueling market.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/13 ... -refuelers
Mac

Puff the Magic Dragon the original suppressor

Supra

Re: New lease of life for Tristars in private air refueling

Post by Supra » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:40 am

It would be good if a UK private Company could buy-up some cheap old AAR Boom-equipped US Tankers to refuel the UK's RC 135's, forthcoming P8 Poseidons & the inevitable F.35 variants. :whistle:
Oh!...slight problem. Airtanker's contract for sole UK. AAR capacity is more water-tight than a duck's ass! ;)
Could've worked??

Ravendriver2008

Post by Ravendriver2008 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 2:59 pm

Ghost from above wrote:Interesting article.looks like another company like Omega entering the private air refueling market.
http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/13 ... -refuelers

I thought AGD Systems in Florida bought these back in 2015

http://nebula.wsimg.com/7a474ad5aaabd01 ... oworigin=1

Lest they've sold them in leased them to Tempus

And all six are on the FAA Reg

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry ... 0&PageNo=1

Cheers

Bluetail

Post by Bluetail » Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:07 pm

The tricky bit for returning the Tri-Stars to flight will be trying to find qualified aircrew to fly them.
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Gorski84

Post by Gorski84 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:05 pm

:'(
Bluetail wrote:The tricky bit for returning the Tri-Stars to flight will be trying to find qualified aircrew to fly them.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:59 pm

not a rhetorical or sarcastic statement, but why did we get rid of them if they still have significant life and uses?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:09 pm

Sparts99 wrote:not a rhetorical or sarcastic statement, but why did we get rid of them if they still have significant life and uses?
Because we upgraded to something better, more capable and less second hand.

Dazza37

Post by Dazza37 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 am

ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Sparts99 wrote:not a rhetorical or sarcastic statement, but why did we get rid of them if they still have significant life and uses?
Not to mention monumentally, eye-wateringly expensive with no wiggle room for upgrade or configuration change without more monumentally, eye-wateringly massive cost! Anyone who thinks the A330 PFI contract for the RAF is good value, or even a vaguely good idea is an absolute lunatic, or works for the Dick Turpin's running the contract! Much like the C-17 balls up, the A330's should've been bought outright from the start...

-Dazza
I rock, you don't...

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:20 am

Were we privy to the costs of keeping the Tristars, versus A.330's.? There has to be some logic to it.. Or maybe I'm a lunatic like the politicians ?. I know that we know much better than politicians as to how to run an Air Force, but there had to be some sense in the decision.

PeteHemsley

Post by PeteHemsley » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:13 am

What do you do when your car gets old and costs too much to maintain? You upgrade or look for something more reliable. There's no difference with aircraft. The Tristan's are old and were costing a fortune. The air tanker maintencanxe programme is shared between civil and military hands thanks to the multi role tasking and lease of contracts to the likes of Thomas cook. It was not a stupid decision by a ridiculous government, it had to happen.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:50 pm

Dazza37 wrote:
ColintheCaterpillar wrote:
Not to mention monumentally, eye-wateringly expensive with no wiggle room for upgrade or configuration change without more monumentally, eye-wateringly massive cost! Anyone who thinks the A330 PFI contract for the RAF is good value, or even a vaguely good idea is an absolute lunatic, or works for the Dick Turpin's running the contract! Much like the C-17 balls up, the A330's should've been bought outright from the start...

-Dazza
It's what we've got though, and it's very good for what it's needed for. I'd rather have good kit on a rubbish 1990s written PFI than knackered secondhand airliners mixed with an aging fleet of 1960s multi-role cargo/pax aircraft which take a week to find a spare "on the cheap" (or slightly less expensive) .

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:52 pm

(And as I've probably said before, if we'd bought the A330s outright do you really think there was a hope in hell that the MoD would have been able to build the infrastructure at Brize to support it? Not a chance)

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 pm

I like how the USA, seem to get years more use out of its aircraft then we seem to do.
Look how old some of the types they still fly are.
Can you really say then that the Tristars are to old and knackered.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:13 pm

Out of all the l.1011 Tristars built, only one is still flying. Old, Knackered, desperately fuel inefficient, and very expensive to run. If they weren't, people would still be flying them. Actually, I think there is one that has been restored to flying with a view to doing pleasure flights. It recently flew in the States.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:25 pm

jem60 wrote:Out of all the l.1011 Tristars built, only one is still flying. Old, Knackered, desperately fuel inefficient, and very expensive to run. If they weren't, people would still be flying them. Actually, I think there is one that has been restored to flying with a view to doing pleasure flights. It recently flew in the States.
Flew last month to Kansas City Airport - KMCI

http://www.airlinereporter.com/2017/07/ ... rns-skies/

http://www.tristarexperience.org/home/
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Richard E

Post by Richard E » Sat Aug 19, 2017 11:49 pm

jem60 wrote:Out of all the l.1011 Tristars built, only one is still flying. Old, Knackered, desperately fuel inefficient, and very expensive to run. If they weren't, people would still be flying them. Actually, I think there is one that has been restored to flying with a view to doing pleasure flights. It recently flew in the States.
Isn't one also used by Orbital Sciences Corporation as a carrier for its Pegasus XL Satellite Launch Vehicle?

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 am

Yes, that is the one I referred to when I said there was only one flying. Then I realised the Tristar Experience example had recently flown. 2 airworthy Tri-stars then. :) Thankyou Stevie Jaws. Regards, John.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:29 am

Richard B wrote:I like how the USA, seem to get years more use out of its aircraft then we seem to do.
Look how old some of the types they still fly are.
They have that place called AMARC that produces lots of spares from retired airframes, what do we have? RTP!!
Growing old disgracefully

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 7:59 am

We cannot store large amounts of airframes in this country. There isn't the need, and the climate most certainly doesn't allow it, unlike AMARC where there is very little corrosion!.

Philwinward

Post by Philwinward » Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I think you will find we put more hours on our airframes relatively quickly compared with the US.

Phil

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”