Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Davis Monthan Coach Tour - Is It Worth It?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Northolt Nobbler

Davis Monthan Coach Tour - Is It Worth It?

Post by Northolt Nobbler » Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:15 pm

Just a quick question - has anybody done the DM coach tour from Pima recently?

Have got the overflight already sorted but is the tour worth it?

I understand the bus stops at three or four points and you're not allowed to de-bus?

Vulcanone

Re: Davis Monthan Coach Tour - Is It Worth It?

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:42 pm

If you scroll down to the bottom of the page Eagle Driver posted some news about changes at AMARG

Tim S

aenstrop

Post by aenstrop » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:43 pm

I did a tour in 2005 while on deployment. Even as military we weren't allowed out the bus. It was certainly worth doing to see some types I'd never seen. No doubt a lot of those will have been turned into beer cans, but will have been replaced by a lot more and equally interesting types.

roadstar1845

Post by roadstar1845 » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm

Did the tour about five years ago from Nottingham, staying in an airport hotel at Tucson
my suggestion is do Pima first in the am then book the pm tour. I bought the DM guide book in the air museum shop to discover when I got home that the authors were from Gatwick!
They were not overly happy that I had my camera rucsac with me, but I politely suggested that i hadn't come umpteen thousand miles not to get a snappy or two hundred
Got on the bus with said contraband then had a lovely trip darting one side of the bus to the other snapping away to my hearts content.Yes, it didn't stop, but somewhere upstairs i have a picture of the YC15 at Farnborough back in the day late 60'early 70's and one in its final resting place at DM.
In my mind worth every penny, as reworked Toombs and Warthogs were doing circuits overhead whilst I waited for the departure from Pima AM the sad part seeing the demise of the Starlifters in their final resting place.
I don't know what your itinerary is but about three years ago i came across Hill afb museum outside Salt lake City also very much worth a visit if only for the resident raptors et al.
whatever your plans do it and enjoy i did.

Amp

Post by Amp » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:34 pm

Yes it is certainly worth doing, (unless you do not like planes or going on buses).
Is the question serious!?
Did it a couple of years ago for second time. Surely it is a bucket list for anyone on this forum!
Note the new prior booking arrangements though.

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:41 am

Best to book (at least) two tours - left hand side for one, right hand side for the other - saves lots of darting and missing things. I tried to work out what was best side in the morning and what was best side in the afternoon for sun position - but gave up as bus tour has too many changes of direction!
HTH, TM74

Northolt Nobbler

Post by Northolt Nobbler » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:07 pm

Is the question serious!?
Why shouldn't it be?

Did AMARC (as it was then) in 2000 and was lucky enough to have pretty-much a free-reign on where we stopped for photos. Maybe that experience has clouded my judgement?

Or I might just be getting fussy in my old age...

Amp

Post by Amp » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:32 pm

The cost of the bus tour was less than USD10 a couple of years ago. You are correct that you do not disembark during the tour, however my tour was almost two hours, driving slowly up and down rows of aircraft, the driver asked if anything specific was required or if folks wanted to do another row etc. Bus tour is more up close and personal than the overflight.
Enjoy it, whatever you decide. I want to go again soon!

godsell1

Post by godsell1 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 6:47 pm

Did the bus tour in 2014, stopping frequently while the guide gave info on various aircraft ,we even had the base commander come onboard to give an overview on the bases activities. Trip lasted approx two hours and I took 350 photos. Flew over the base in the afternoon, another 400 shots. One of those special days in your life and so worth it.

richpittman

Post by richpittman » Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:54 pm

Third person this Week to enquire after the Western USA.
My thread on ukar from back in 2015 helps a bit!

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic. ... d+fry+them

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”