Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

North Korea considers strike on Guam

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
TankBuster

Re: North Korea considers strike on Guam

Post by TankBuster » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:34 pm

I hope that the Chinese try and reel him in one way or another, I should think they're now getting quite fed up with Kim Jong causing unrest in the region, the one thing we don't need is Trump deciding to take matters into his own hands by ordering strikes on North Korean assets. If that happened then I think Kim Jong would order retaliatory strikes in all directions. It looks very much like like Kim Jong wants to go to war and he's just waiting for an excuse to pull the trigger!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sun Sep 03, 2017 8:20 pm

lynx77 wrote:War is imminent
Do you have a link to something suggesting that? I've not yet seen any mention of offensive action.

filmman

Post by filmman » Sun Sep 03, 2017 10:03 pm

Unintended consequences. China got the bomb, so India needed one, then Pakistan. Japan could launch a crash secret nuclear bomb program. And then there is South Korea, they might want the Bomb. China thoughtfully looks on, a H-Bomb might be a step to far - N Korea is no longer a "client" state but a potential threat in all sorts of way. China might now feel unsafe in imposing trade sanctions -they won't like that loss of face. Local stability was predictably guaranteed by the USA; but now even Taiwan coulddevelop the Bomb - that's unacceptable - it's a Chinese Provence. And then if the USA is forced to retaliate they lose N Korea, all because of Kim, so what should they do. Behind the facade Beijing might be having nightmares.
Filmman

Doughnut

Post by Doughnut » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:13 am

I question for those more knowledgeable than myself.
The US has often promoted the 'missile shield' systems such as Patriot, which I believe Israel has successfully used to down incoming missiles.
Could these systems not be used to intercept North Korean missiles in the take-off phase ?

markranger

Post by markranger » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:51 am

page_verify wrote:
lynx77 wrote:War is imminent
Do you have a link to something suggesting that? I've not yet seen any mention of offensive action.
I have to admit it is looking more and more likely,
China need to step in big time,They hold the Key to this IMO.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Lowfly11

Post by Lowfly11 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:21 am

Breaking news on Sky...China saying Donald Trump's sanctions are unfair and unacceptable on North Korea

Tally-ho

Post by Tally-ho » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:38 am

markranger wrote:I have to admit it is looking more and more likely,
China need to step in big time,They hold the Key to this IMO.
Correct. Twirling thumbs is not an option.

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Mon Sep 04, 2017 12:14 pm

Lowfly11 wrote:Breaking news on Sky...China saying Donald Trump's sanctions are unfair and unacceptable on North Korea
That's not what they said at all, the news item reads:
China has said Donald Trump's threat to cut off trade with countries that deal with North Korea is unacceptable.
That's a huge difference!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

filmman

Post by filmman » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:19 pm

As the BBC reported, the only way to demonstrate that you can launch an ICBM with a viable H bomb warhead is to actually do it. Favourite destination is the Pacific's large, remote and empty spaces. However, the Atlantic off the east coast of the USA would be a spectacular message. They would have to post a sort of NOTAM, to avoid destroying planes or ships. A fishing boat was contaminated in a USA test; there are now lots of cruise ships. Would the USA try to shoot it down? As the bomb tunnel apparently collapsed, atmospheric samples might reveal its composition/design. Microscopic balls of metal (fallout) can float in the atmosphere around the world. Testing went underground because political leaders breath it in like everyone else, true democracy.
Filmman

scottoz8

Post by scottoz8 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:07 am

why don't the Chinese just put a bullet in the guys head ??

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:07 am

Probably because if you look back in history to the Korean War, both China and Russia fought with the North Koreans and I suspect if push came to shove they would do the same now.

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:43 am

I doubt either Russia or China would fight with NK now. The world's a different place, and while both remain left of centre, they are much more reliant on Western goods now. War would remove that, and their systems would survive, it
wouldn't be comfortable.

Nor will the Chinese put a bullet in his head, the evil you know springs to mind! Which does beg the question, is Short Fat Wun the last of the line? If so, what's the succession plan? Is there one? or does he intend to go out in a blaze of glory?

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:48 am

Bernie wrote: Which does beg the question, is Short Fat Wun the last of the line? If so, what's the succession plan? Is there one? or does he intend to go out in a blaze of glory?
Allegedly he has a wife who disappears for extended periods, but has been seen on 'special occasions' such as missile launches......" Hey Babe. you just gotta see this one!" type of day-out?
It's possible that during these times out of sight she could've had a baby dictator, but there's been no confirmation!
Personally I think Dim John one is uptight due to his shrinking suit & only fires missiles because he's 'shooting blanks'!
Now where did I put my Diplomatic Envoy Certificate? :whistle:

Undertaker

Post by Undertaker » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:50 am

His daughter Kim Ju-ae was born in 2012

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 12:02 pm

If he was assassinated there could be an unstable power vacuum as seen in other parts of the world in recent years which doesn't bear thinking about in a nuclear capable state. Or a loyal (brainwashed?) individual or group fire a missile in revenge at whoever they feel is responsible. China won't want a US friendly state right on their border either, it's in their interest to keep him or a similar regime in place. Putin has chimed in now condeming the latest test, I suspect he doesn't want nuclear proliferation as with every country that becomes capable his position on the world stage diminishes. BBC News last night made the very valid point about Dim John's (I really like that) motivation, this is all about him staying in power, not spreading doctrine or NK influence.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

pecrow

Post by pecrow » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:46 pm

scottoz8 wrote:why don't the Chinese just put a bullet in the guys head ??
wouldnt be suprised to see a regime change :whistle:

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:43 pm

China will do it all it can to stop the NK regime imploding - including probably threatening US forces if they try to do anything. The last thing they want is a reunification of the Korean peninsula on American's terms.

filmman

Post by filmman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:54 pm

Ah, reunification. Is that Kim's ultimate goal! Peaceful surrender to him or what?
Filmman

Bernie

Post by Bernie » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:26 am

So Russia wants appeasement, China wants...Actually I am not sure what they want, apart from some rather naive thinking that if the Septics and the ROK stop having exercises then NK will somehow decide to stop and play nicely with the other children. Yes, OK....Lets leave that daft idea aside!

Personally, I don't think the UN voting on sanctions or the Yanks stopping war games will make any difference to Short Fat Wun. He's started so he will have to finish, to not do so would be to put himself at risk of someone noticing he was a knob for starting in the first place, which in Dictator terms means increased chances of someone stopping him being a knob. Not in a nice way either.

So this will continue going downhill, until him with the haircut in NK does something causing him with the haircut in good old USA has had enough over and bites. I doubt Trump will go nuclear at first, more likely massive conventional strike. having had counter battery co ordinates dialled into US & ROK artillery south of the 38th.

If short fatty survives the first few minutes, gets an order to fire up the instant sunshine, or someone with large nuts does the same after his unfortunate demise, then yes, I can see the septics dumping a few small taster nucs on NK. But at the moment I doubt NK has any usable Nucs.

What is certain though appeasement and letting him get on with it will cause bigger issues down the line, so it really isn't an option.

PR9

Post by PR9 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:20 am

Can all these world leaders just have a lock in at a pub somewhere?

They'll either kill each other or all be best mates and singing rude songs. :D
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”