Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

News: F-16 Crashes on take off, 21-06-17

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Agent K

Re: News: F-16 Crashes on take off, 21-06-17

Post by Agent K » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:47 am

Nothing wrong with informed discussion and questions really here, I know if I was incorrect in a statement I'd made, I'd happily expect to be put right by somebody who has more expertise than me.

Personally I wouldn't, however, make a bold statement if it wasn't based on knowledge, and was just speculation and this stands throughout all walks of life. It can make one look rather silly if made in front of knowledgeable people in that field.

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:56 am

As one Harry Enfield character says....

Aye aye.....Calm down Calm down...Eh

Lets not get worked up over it. Its Friday, and the pilot got out (hopefully without being injured) the jet may get repaired

Just a thought :roll:

Tim

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:09 am

Well that wiki link about compressor stalls explained something I've never really understood so it's been a good thread for me from that point of view.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:09 pm

Was on a Boeing 720 [that dates me!] as a passenger over the Alps, when two very audible bangs and sheets of flame off the port outer caught my attention!!. Surge or compressor stall. Nobody came up with the real cause of this F.16 incident. Just possibilities, as none of us are experts, and some know more than others. Steep learning curves are good.
For us oldies it's always Friday..........I think :S :S :)

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:14 pm

martmpf wrote:
gamecock wrote:
afterburner stall
What's that? And why would it result in a runway departure?
It's quite probable the departure from the runway occurred after the pilot had ejected. The F-16 therefore had no "driver".
It is also reasonable to assume that any pilot would not eject at zero altitude without good reason.
Further guessing on any forum is just that.

Actually if you bothered reading it also says in at least one article " Afterburner Stall " , some people refer to it as Afterburner Stall , some people say Compressor Stall .
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:35 pm

Because it says it in an article doesn't make it true! Calling a fish a banana doesn't make it a banana.

I'm also happy to rely on my Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, majoring in propulsion systems coupled with 32 years in aviation to inform me.....

From an pure aerodynamics and engineering perspective the afterburner doesn't stall (there is nothing to stall!!!!) it's the compressor that stalls because the airflow separates from the compressor blades.....

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:55 pm

Agent K wrote:Because it says it in an article doesn't make it true! Calling a fish a banana doesn't make it a banana.

I'm also happy to rely on my Degree in Aeronautical Engineering, majoring in propulsion systems coupled with 32 years in aviation to inform me.....

From an pure aerodynamics and engineering perspective the afterburner doesn't stall (there is nothing to stall!!!!) it's the compressor that stalls because the airflow separates from the compressor blades.....
I was merely pointing out that some people call it that , I didn't say it was that and didn't get into the technical side of it .

YCSAFOOMA - see if your degree can figure that out .
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

mustang5861

Post by mustang5861 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:56 pm

Agent K wrote:YCSAFOOMA - see if your degree can figure that out .
I can (figure it out, that is) :lol: :lol: :lol:
DIRTY BOY!

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:48 pm

Don't take it personally STEVIEJAWS I was merely pointing out the error in the articles, not having a go at you. Calm down. I'd like to think we can still call things wrong if they are wrong on this forum without some fear of offending.

Ranger

Post by Ranger » Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:09 pm

Agent K wrote:Because it says it in an article doesn't make it true! Calling a fish a banana doesn't make it a banana.

I must admit I had better chosen the word failure instead of stall. Just my habit using that frase as I know it from the books, sorry. No hard feelings what so ever.
Let's hope the true cause will be determined quick.

Cheers,
Ranger

Lightningboy2000

Post by Lightningboy2000 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:09 pm

Agent K wrote:I've been to Ellington field many times over the years so feel well qualified to state it was a grasshopper caused compressor stall. There's loads there in the trees.
Is it possible that the moderators on Fighter Control, try and get "like" buttons installed on these forums? For all of the frivolities going on in these threads of conjecture, I keep getting an urge to click on "like" but its not there!

:ninja:

reaperops

Post by reaperops » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:15 pm

Lightningboy2000 wrote:
Agent K wrote:I've been to Ellington field many times over the years so feel well qualified to state it was a grasshopper caused compressor stall. There's loads there in the trees.
Is it possible that the moderators on Fighter Control, try and get "like" buttons installed on these forums? For all of the frivolities going on in these threads of conjecture, I keep getting an urge to click on "like" but its not there!

:ninja:

LIKE!
Here we go........ The Devils Knockin' at my door!

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:10 am

Dear Mods, FCers & Lightningboy2000

Can we retain the requirement that posts made to the Forum are only text, in English, hopefully with few acronyms? Buttons, baa!

Dank U wel!
Charlie, expert in many things, none of which are useful to mankind.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

gamecock

Post by gamecock » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:26 am

Didn't mean to create such a fuzz here. I can rely on 15 years of F16 operations. Draw my remark on the available info sofar.
Not at all Ranger, it makes for an interesting thread. I just hadn't heard the phrase before. :thumb:
Amazing footage - and amazing how fast the pilot reacts to it and shuts down the other engine.
The engine control system will have cancelled reheat and adjusted the nozzle position before he even realised what was happening. The engines are still running but in the dry range only. Reheat can 'blowout' once lit if there's a control system failure.
By discussing things like this we can all improve the knowledge that our hobby entails. It does no harm whatsoever.
Absolutely!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”