Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Crews out on thier Jollies

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Cornish-guy

Crews out on thier Jollies

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:05 am

Folks with the Fairford exercise possobly coming to an end, it got me thinking - I wonder if the flight crews might go out for thier last English pint or three, and when they return to the base and get ready to dapart in the morning, would the pilot and co-pilot get checked over to see if they are sobber enough to fly, and not over the limit while in control of a slightly leathfull Weapon :P

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

Drinkmat

Re: Crews out on thier Jollies

Post by Drinkmat » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:46 am

I don't know what might happen these days but I hope behaviour and attitudes have moved on a little from the early 80's. At TTTE, RAF Cottesmore, if a crew were a little worse for wear they would "walk" ten minutes earlier to the aircraft than they had to, having popped Brufen tablets. Once in the jet, a few minutes on 100% oxygen and they were feeling much better. Not an everyday occurrence, but not rare either on B Squadron.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:18 am

Not just the aircrew.
Life in RAFG was brilliant for the beer.
I did numerous ground rus on the Tornado, using the oxygen system to freshen me up.
Multiple EGRs sometimes needed a Lox Pot change at the end.
:thumb:
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:55 am

It's normally 12 hours bottle to throttle ;-)
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:42 am

You'd probably be surprised at how little Americans drink in general, never mind visiting USAF flight crews, compared to us Brits. It wouldn't surprise me if any of the visiting flight crews don't drink any alcohol until they know their flying for the trip is over. Beer in the UK is twice as strong and twice the price of what most Americans are used to drinking so a trip to a British pub can be quite an eye opener for someone who's not been here before. For similar fear of getting caught reasons, they've often tended to stay clear of British chemists too!

gyvespa

Post by gyvespa » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:49 am

I was in a Pub in Great Yarmouth in the early 90's.
One that had Lady Dancers, if you're local you'll know which one.

There was a group from the 501 Tactical Squadron (at least I think its what it said on their shirts).
Good God they were drunk.
Well behaved but thoroughly w*nkered !
I'd have hated to be them the next day.

I'd like to think they weren't doing anything too important for a while.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:35 am

I was cautious to make sure I referred to flight crews rather than all USAF personnel ;) I've sat in TDY briefings where some local pubs were made out of bounds to visitors because it'd taken the permanently based Americans some time to become trusted again in some local boozers, ooops!

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:21 am

page_verify wrote:You'd probably be surprised at how little Americans drink in general, never mind visiting USAF flight crews, compared to us Brits. It wouldn't surprise me if any of the visiting flight crews don't drink any alcohol until they know their flying for the trip is over. Beer in the UK is twice as strong and twice the price of what most Americans are used to drinking so a trip to a British pub can be quite an eye opener for someone who's not been here before. For similar fear of getting caught reasons, they've often tended to stay clear of British chemists too!
I have had many a session in a certain Mildenhall hostelry with U.S. servicemen and women (visitors and based) and believe me they can hold their own! Many of them drink spirits rather then beer but one that we were drinking with recently could really knock 'em back and I am ashamed to say that we had to admit defeat in the packing it in stakes!
I hasten to add that none were on duty the following day and certainly not flying!
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:21 am

Its funny but when i go into the local pubs around Lakenheath they all think i am from the base. I not sure how the locals mistake my thick Gloucestershire accent for a US one? Maybe i look like one i dont know. lol

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:06 pm

Especially someone from Stroud, sir ;)

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:10 pm

Long long ago we had an ATC camp at West Raynham, 85 & 100 Sqn Canberras, B2, T4 and T17, target facilities. I managed to get on the flight line for the week helping re-fuel, polish canopies, replace starter cartridges etc. One pilot turned up in a really bad way, his Nav helped him in the door, we helped him strapped in. After probably 7 or 8 minutes on pure oxygen he was a different man and raring to go, incredible to see.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Jun 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Ye Gods :O

I thought they were all professionals :lol:

You should see the state of some of the younger Posties at 0630 :whistle:

No 2 pupils the same size, so we oldies ALL know what they have been on, dude ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

filmman

Post by filmman » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:34 pm

I am astounded. I must have led a sheltered life when I flew. We had easy access to alcohol on the field but no one drank until after flying and one did not fly under the influence. It was not professional. As they say there are no old, bold pilots. The Grim Reaper is only too willing to add to his clientele. I find it hard to believe that USAF pilots are not consummate professionals.
Filmman

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:22 am

In either 'Lightning Boys' or Lightning Boys2' I can't remember which, there's a chapter about an overseas deployment stuck in Turkey and a late night out.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

effects

Post by effects » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:24 am

filmman wrote:I am astounded. I must have led a sheltered life when I flew. We had easy access to alcohol on the field but no one drank until after flying and one did not fly under the influence. It was not professional. As they say there are no old, bold pilots. The Grim Reaper is only too willing to add to his clientele. I find it hard to believe that USAF pilots are not consummate professionals.
Filmman
Presumably a civvy?

martmpf

Post by martmpf » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:26 am

Spent many a late night into early morning at the Blacksmiths Arms, Rothwell, Lincolnshire with Lightning pilots from Binbrook. That's where I was told about the pure oxygen trick. Apparently quite unpleasant at first, as you "burn" the alcohol out your system. Some leaving about 2am, flying at 6am, too far gone to be driving. But as the local police officer (in uniform) was also with us, that was OK.

nescafe37

Post by nescafe37 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:18 pm

page_verify wrote:Especially someone from Stroud, sir ;)
haha you must be local too then lol

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:59 am

Sadly for those who served in yesteryear, the modern day brings different challenges. The likelihood of air and ground crews being asked for a complete set of bodily fluids after an incident has never been higher, especially as the seriousness of what used to be trivial has never been higher. If you thought the RAF Police using radar to catch its own pilots flying too low was bad, then some of today's world - especially on ops - would surprise you

Ewart

Post by Ewart » Sun Jun 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Having just done a course where I need to know this. Legal limit for flying is in the case of breath, 9 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. Where as driving is 35 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:26 pm

page_verify wrote:The likelihood of air and ground crews being asked for a complete set of bodily fluids after an incident has never been higher, especially as the seriousness of what used to be trivial has never been higher.
Likelihood? Nope, certainty.

Attitudes have almost invariably changed. Fingers crossed for the military folk that the only ones who get themselves into the press in hot water are the occasional civilian crew members who are rightly "shopped" by their crew mates and cause no other inconvenience than a delay and financial penalty to their employer airline.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”