Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Middle East Spotting [Oman]

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
jem60

Middle East Spotting [Oman]

Post by jem60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:14 am

Whilst on my cruise, our transfer coach took us past Fujairah airport in Oman. On one side of the airfield were something in the order of 30 parked aircraft, many with U.N in large letters. They included at least two 747s, half a dozen IL76, some TU154s, a couple of An12s, some An124s. They seem to be disused, but in good condition i.e. not derelict from what I could see. Anyone know anything about them??.

bizfreeq

Re: Middle East Spotting [Oman]

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:52 am

Not sure about the aircraft but Fujairah is in the U.A.E not Oman.
If it is Fujairah in UAE that you mean, then it has always been a bit of a storage airport for old Russian types that have, in some cases, come to the end of their usefulness shall we say once contracts have dried up/been reallocated etc.
Hope that helps
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:02 am

Cheers for that, Bizfreez. It was a few miles south of Khor Fakkan. It was Oman the next day. Saw a Marine Carrier whilst at sea. Av8s on the stern, a Greyhound at the front, several aircraft with folded wings with with their backs to me, A sea Stallion on the stern also, and a Seahawk took off and had a look at us. Ship had a large white No. 5 on it's deck island., otherwise only military I saw was an Orion, and an RAF Voyager took off from Aqaba airport whilst we were awaiting our flight home. As mentioned earlier, was lucky enough to see the Jordanian Hunter T7 in the air. Regards, John [Whose sun tan is now peeling!!!.]

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:51 am

I went to Fujairah back in 2009 i think whilst in Dubai - a local ex pat took me there - think he wanted safety in numbers!

They are really quite anti-spotter. A coach is probably ideal for seeing over the wall there.

Stroudy

Post by Stroudy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:40 am

Try this: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Fuj ... d56.330556

Stuff as described all over the place!

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Mar 31, 2017 11:55 am

jem60 wrote:Cheers for that, Bizfreez. It was a few miles south of Khor Fakkan. It was Oman the next day. Saw a Marine Carrier whilst at sea. Av8s on the stern, a Greyhound at the front, several aircraft with folded wings with with their backs to me, A sea Stallion on the stern also, and a Seahawk took off and had a look at us. Ship had a large white No. 5 on it's deck island., otherwise only military I saw was an Orion, and an RAF Voyager took off from Aqaba airport whilst we were awaiting our flight home. As mentioned earlier, was lucky enough to see the Jordanian Hunter T7 in the air. Regards, John [Whose sun tan is now peeling!!!.]
Not too sure what you saw as your "carrier", as the AV-8 operate from the LHD's (Amphibious Assault ship), however they cannot operate the C-2 Greyhound or any other fixed wing a/c at the moment(F-35B isn't cleared for ops yet) as they aren't equipped with 'cat and trap'. I would hazard a guess it was MV-22's that you saw with their wings folded

The large 5 indicates it was the USS Bataan, which left port on the 01/03/17 for the Middle East.

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:18 pm

USS Bataan (LHD-5) transited through the Suez Canal on 24 March.

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:58 pm

You don't 'alf get about, John :O

Bet T is giving you some well-deserved GBH of the ear'ole over that peeling tan :lol:

Best regards :thumbs:

P and A :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:30 pm

Cheers, Thunder etc., Not knowing my U.S. ships very well, I can see how it was certainly an LHD rather than a 'proper ' carrier. Certainly AV8s, but the strange thing is that it wasn't very far away, with a full side-on view, and I do know a Greyhound when I see one. Only about a mile away, and I have Canon stabilised binos' so the mystery deepens. Deep fuselage, definately a good enough view to see that it was a twin, with the right tailplane. I appreciate that it can't operate from it, but it was definately there!. Perhaps being loaded onto deck from shore to be taken for repair????. :S :S
Yes Patrick she is!! [no change there then!] Regards.

JAWS

Post by JAWS » Sat Apr 01, 2017 1:43 am

John , could you have possibly seen a CV/MV-22 with rotors folded ?

https://www.google.com/search?q=MV-22+W ... 99&bih=812
Regards Steve............

"If the Military had to make money, they'd be doomed !!"
Chuck Adams, Buffalo Airlines.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:31 am

Hi, Stevie and all. Yes , I think that must have been the case. Guess alcohol and heat are not conducive to accuracy when identifying aircraft.!!!!!!!!. Many thanks to all. Lovely trip tho' :clap:

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”