Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Same Old Same Old.

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
gamecock

Re: Same Old Same Old.

Post by gamecock » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:24 pm

Why not let members post the 'vanilla' shots (for want of a better word) in the relevant airfield section, as a kind of photo log?
I'd also like to see smaller, more selective posts in Modern Military, and I wish people would be a bit more descriptive in their thread titles!

I don't see any whinging on here, just one of the most relevant and interesting discussions I've seen in ages.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 10:13 pm

Look at StuartNorris's shots on his non Airshow photos in todays post will show some imaginative shots from Mildenhall and Lakenheath. That's the way to do it!. :)

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:28 am

I personally prefer the standard side on image.

Speaking personally I like to see the identity of the jet - that's the whole point of the hobby to me. Just posting a pic of a nose is pointless (pardon the pun).

I think we are wearing rose tinted glasses when we recall the good old days. I don't recall people queuing up to watch TTTE tornadoes or Harriers - often there would be literally no one around on an average day at wittering or Cottesmore. Your camera could only take 36 images that cost an arm and a leg to process and in my case the photos were usually carp!

The increase in the numbers of photographers is due of course to digital which make the hobby easier and more fun. It's great to see so many younger spotters and photographers out there.

So keep posting and don't be put off by the dinosaurs!

C24

Post by C24 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:54 am

Aha, yes!

Standing at the threshold of 22 at near midnight on a December night. Two huge flames, the roar and the warm blast with the smell of burnt jet fuel followed by an hour or so (if clear) of star gazing and the returning jets.

Then came the Harriers

Yep, we were fortunate in many ways. In the early days, the sky was full of aircraft generally on our side. :roll:

Keep on posting, there is no such thing as a boring shot, just that some are different from others.

Nice thread with well considered opinions. FC at its best. Happy new year to all :)
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

DanBeeden

Post by DanBeeden » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:18 am

Lots of well balanced and positive responses on here which is great to see.

I agree with much of what has been posted already and would add that from my perspective I'd much rather see people continuing to post even if they feel the subjects and shots were relatively run of the mill. It's a double edged sword as some people may feel that things are getting repetitive, but if people are discouraged from posting then the forum could one day end up being a sterile place where only magazine-quality images of exotic subjects are posted.

As has already been said we are limited in terms of where we can go and what we can shoot nowadays. Certainly I only tend to venture out to LN and Mildenhall as you are usually guaranteed a half decent day and you never know what might turn up.

Even if a day consists of, lets say, just Eagle movements, I continue to be impressed by the creativity of forum members in the selection of angles, perspectives, times of day, editing techniques etc. to create some truly memorable imagery. And what some people consider creative or unusual may be of no interest to others. So hopefully everyone will continue to feel that their contributions and images are welcomed and appreciated on the forum. Some positive feedback and hints and tips on where people can improve their images should also be encouraged so we can all continue to improve.

Sometimes, even if a day consists of just tankers and hercs, I like to just see a record of what someone has seen. Maybe nothing out of the ordinary, but it's always good to see what is going on, just to know that stuff is going on, and someone is out there enjoying it, while I'm stuck in the office, if that makes sense.

Happy New Year to everyone.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:20 am

That's what I like about FC, good honest opinions, a willingness to listen and share.

My opinion is that for something that is old hat to someone will be new and exciting to someone else.

How often have you been at the fence and an aircraft comes in and thought oh it's just a so and so, yet there is a young lad wide eyed and getting his first whiff of aviation fuel, we've all been there.

Perhaps though this post will make some think about getting that different angle, lighting etc

Anyway that's me for this year, Happy New Year to you all, see you at the fence

Dave
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:43 pm

Hi Peeps :P

A happy and healthy new year to all :)

I always try my best to reply to as many posts as possible, 'cos if someone has taken the time and trouble to put some shots up (I know how long that little caper can take) I feel it is only right to peek and reply ;)

My personal opinion of the quality of the shot is irrelevant: take a look at how poor some of my old rescued stuff is :whistle:

Please, please keep posting, as I suspect the number of bases/types/'frames is only going to go one way, and it ain't up :(

Best regards as always :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Dan D'Air

Post by Dan D'Air » Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:11 pm

A Happy New Year to all on FC.
Fighter Control has been an invaluable tool for aviation hobbyists for a long time now. We have young people, many from the Air Cadets who are keen to learn as much as possible about current military aviation right up to test pilots who occasionally add to a discussion.
Photography is also a great hobby and to have a platform like FC to share their "catch" with like-minded folk is wonderful.
I only wish that I was like Paddyboy, who comments positively on pretty much every post. Well done mate.
So, from me, keep posting your images. Individuals can then decide if they look at all of the pics.
Dan
"Shakin the tree boss, shakin the tree"

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:02 pm

Following on from Dan D'Air's point, if we’re to help the next generation of aviators, such as Air Cadets, then my only suggestion would be that the site needs to ask critical questions about what it reports. It’s great that it shows or reports that Quid32 left Mildenhall but it might want to encourage conversation about why it did. When I think back to my RAF OASC interview, every defence related topic quickly turned into a conversation about “why did they do that then?”, “how did that help NATO’s objectives?”, “is that something the RAF does routinely?”, who do you think requested the RAF did that?” etc. etc. And of course, the officers asking me questions about my conversation knew the exact answers, “you’re right although the actual reason our Merlin helicopters were in…..”

Bushpilot

Post by Bushpilot » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:09 pm

I agree with the argument that some posts are a bit repetitive, but, usually they're far superior to my efforts. Let's not forget that the East Anglian spotters photograph aircraft that us Scottish spotters don't get to see very often and vice versa. I remember as a boy of 9 getting fed up with yet another Trident at Heathrow so as far I'm concerned carry on but try some creative editing if you've only had F-15's or Typhoons all day.

:D
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

ArabJazzie

Post by ArabJazzie » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:46 am

Dare i say that part of the issue is 2 similar sites that provide similar services and focused on the same area! There are probably plenty more as well!

However, that does not mean to detract from the images that i do see on these sites. And seen as i dont have a local anymore, i look to photos from elsewhere for my military aviation fix. Certainly makes up for having to watch F-15s from 30,000ft+ away! Thats if the weathers good enough to allow that!

And as many have mentioned above, the likelyhood is that you will lose plenty before the new ONE comes around! For example the Tucano!

warferry

Post by warferry » Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:24 am

May I add my take on the topic which seems to be mainly focused on East Anglia thus far.
My pals and I find we can have a quick scan to ascertain if the posts are of "regulars" or not.
This takes very little time so no issue and one can move on.

Looking at the viewing /topics listed I note that Current military far exceeds any other topic /posts.
For example 3 times the Warbirds, Replica, Nostalgic (my favorite) so Modern Mil doing something right for most members.

As for not many other locations well it depends on how far one can travel on ones budget.
Myself living in Ireland have longer trips than most but find by being selective and doing your homework pays off.
Above all enjoy the hobby and Happy New Year to all .

KINROTATE

Post by KINROTATE » Sun Jan 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Shoot the big bases to death - fine. However I think posting two identical shots (literally one after the other), differentiated by a serial number is pushing 'Vanilla' into the post IMHO. This type of site needs new blood to keep banging on the door, not knocking that at all. Just be critical, be selective and build on these two blocks.
Aviation, breath it in your lungs will stain.

toom317

Post by toom317 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:55 pm

KINROTATE wrote:Shoot the big bases to death - fine. However I think posting two identical shots (literally one after the other), differentiated by a serial number is pushing 'Vanilla' into the post IMHO.
Spot on. :thumbs:
No one gets out of life alive.

Equipment: Camera, Lens, Goretex Y fronts

DJ17

Post by DJ17 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:01 am

KINROTATE wrote:Shoot the big bases to death - fine. However I think posting two identical shots (literally one after the other), differentiated by a serial number is pushing 'Vanilla' into the post IMHO. This type of site needs new blood to keep banging on the door, not knocking that at all. Just be critical, be selective and build on these two blocks.
And 3 almost Identical posts within 24 hours, looks like quantity's won the day.

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:18 am

What's wrong with that ? Not much would get posted otherwise.

Next you will be suggesting "please can we have less repetitive logs of the same old aircraft".

I really don't see the problem - it's an enthusiasts site, people enjoy seeing their pics.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 9:29 am

As the first poster to respond to this thread, I re-iterate my reply. Shoot what you like. If I like it, I will look further, or simply skip through it. I do agree with Paddy's, and others points about new enthusiasts, and how important it is to encourage others. I leave it to you to post replies, my wife always seems to give me other things to do!!!!. A good New Year to all, and roll on March 15th. [Dubai Cruise to kick winter into touch. Someone has to do it!!] :clap:

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:43 am

You poor b......r having to go on a cruise, all that sun, wine ,, food, you have my sympathy

:whistle:

Anyway when your holiday is over I'll be getting ready for mine so there :P

Have a good one
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

jem60

Post by jem60 » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Cheers DH but I will have another one lined up by then. :D I consider it a a job creation scheme to keep foreign workers employed on these ships.NZ for you, I believe???? :thumbs:

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Mon Jan 02, 2017 12:34 pm

John and Dave :O

My heart bleeds for your miserable existences, having to survive a week or two between constant luxury holidays :lol:

All the flak I have got at work, and being labelled a 'furnace dodger' into the bargain, just 'cos I got me bus pass and use it (occasionally) :whistle:

Happy (and healthy) new year you couple of old reprobates :thumbs:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”