Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

MOD Sell Off

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Alfie

MOD Sell Off

Post by Alfie » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:50 pm

I see the government is going to sell 13 MOD bases, which are as follows:-◾RAF Henlow, Bedfordshire
◾Middlewick Ranges, Essex
◾Amport House, Andover, Hampshire, the British Armed Forces chaplaincy centre
◾Land at Harley Hill, Catterick, North Yorkshire
◾Chalgrove Airfield, Oxfordshire, a former World War Two airfield
◾Colerne Airfield, Chippenham, Wiltshire, a former World War Two airfield
◾Azimghur Barracks, Chippenham, Wiltshire
◾Prince William of Gloucester Barracks, Grantham, Lincolnshire
◾Old Dalby, Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
◾Venning Barracks, Telford
◾Parsons Barracks, Donnington
◾Southwick Park, Fareham, Hampshire
◾Royal Marines Stonehouse, Plymouth

rh226

Re: MOD Sell Off

Post by rh226 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:53 pm

Azimghur Barracks is also Colerne.
Cheers, Bob

MRTT

Post by MRTT » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Great shame to see Colerne going. :(

Precinct7

Post by Precinct7 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:27 pm

Southwick Park was were lot of the D Day planning was undertaken was also HQ SHAEF
believe there is already a museum on site

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:46 am

Living next to RAF Henlow I'm gutted to see this historic and also one of the RAF's (RFC's) oldest bases go.

reheat module

Post by reheat module » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:58 am

Sad to see the loss of Amport. Although it is indeed the RAF Chaplaincy Centre, they offered a huge range of fantastic courses there, all in quiet landscaped gardens.
Venning in Telford too, not too far to get a taxi back to Cosford, after 'interesting' nights hosted by the boys in Green...
UK ONS CPI Rate checker for Sept every year... :whistle:

XPLUMBER

Post by XPLUMBER » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:31 am

All of you bemoaning the selling off of these parcels of land will probably be purplexed by the MoD's expenditure!

Our Armed Forces have shrunk dramatically, the MoD do not need this land.

Let the MoD recoup some money.
CANONs carried by an ARMOURER!

hangars are for shirts!

wokka

Post by wokka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:26 am

Interesting to see Chalgrove go. I assume Martin Baker lease it from the MoD. Not sure how that will effect them from now on.
Intolerant, cynical, sarcastic, old b******

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varcs/

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:40 am

There was a seperate thread about Chalgrove a few weeks ago. Benson is just down the road, could MB could move their flight operations to there?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

wokka

Post by wokka » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:21 am

I would say Boscombe would probably be a better place?
Intolerant, cynical, sarcastic, old b******

https://www.flickr.com/photos/varcs/

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:03 pm

I'd suggest in the medium term that Benson is also at risk, but that's another story.

Gingercake

Post by Gingercake » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:10 pm

Agent K wrote:Living next to RAF Henlow I'm gutted to see this historic and also one of the RAF's (RFC's) oldest bases go.
If you read the article on the BBC News website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37287613 - I think its just the Golf course that they are selling (and the one at Southwick Park).

Agent K

Post by Agent K » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:19 pm

It's a little confusing as later it states RAF Henlow to be sold off?! I can't imagine selling the golf course would achieve anything as it's between the Hangars/accommodation and the airfield. Local news and rumour indicated a potential 750 houses to be built on the site, so who knows!

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:00 pm

Middlewick ranges is quite local to me and the Army dont use it anywhere near as much as they used to. Several years ago the constant rattling of machine guns was a daily occurrence, not anymore! The area is now more frequently used by dog walkers, so I'm not surprised is being sold off.

The Army also have the Fingringhoe ranges nearby which see more frequent use. Its on an estuary which has challenging terrain such as marshes, mudflats & saltings. There are various tidal creeks which allow access for small landing craft too. On the odd occasions I've seen Apaches & Chinooks low flying over there, so given the choice between Middlewick or Fingringhoe I think the MOD have made the right decision here.

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

andrewn

Post by andrewn » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:41 pm

XPLUMBER wrote:All of you bemoaning the selling off of these parcels of land will probably be purplexed by the MoD's expenditure!

Our Armed Forces have shrunk dramatically, the MoD do not need this land.

Let the MoD recoup some money.
I'm not sure the need or financial impact was really considered. The fact is the MoD have been instructed to release a set amount of land for housing.

Unless there is a sharp policy u turn there'll be many more sites to follow.

The problem with selling off the family silver is that once it's gone its gone.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:03 pm

Gingercake wrote:
Agent K wrote:Living next to RAF Henlow I'm gutted to see this historic and also one of the RAF's (RFC's) oldest bases go.
If you read the article on the BBC News website http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-37287613 - I think its just the Golf course that they are selling (and the one at Southwick Park).
I'm not so sure it's as rosy as that. It says it includes two golf courses, but doesn't say anything about it being just the golf courses. Henlow's course sits between the hangars and airfield which would be a bit of an odd piece of land to develop!

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:05 pm

Agent K wrote:It's a little confusing as later it states RAF Henlow to be sold off?! I can't imagine selling the golf course would achieve anything as it's between the Hangars/accommodation and the airfield. Local news and rumour indicated a potential 750 houses to be built on the site, so who knows!
It's the whole site that's going, the golf course just happens to be part of the airfield. Knock down the blocks and rebuild.

Staff on Henlow were told gone by 2020.

Firefighter

Post by Firefighter » Wed Sep 07, 2016 6:51 pm

From what I have heard is that the Colerne/Azingmur Barracks sell off had come as a complete surprise to those there as they learnt their fate from the BBC, they had not even been told that they on the list. I was at Benson when it was slated to go in the 70's, but it got a last minute reprieve.

romeo bravo

Post by romeo bravo » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:17 pm

Firefighter wrote:From what I have heard is that the Colerne/Azingmur Barracks sell off had come as a complete surprise to those there as they learnt their fate from the BBC
Doubt that as there would have been a three-line wipe mandatory meeting for all. If there wasn't then the Stn Cdr/Stn Comdt has a few questions to answer.

Henlow had the meeting and I know we did when they told us Harrier was going.

vulcanxl425

Post by vulcanxl425 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 9:00 pm

Sorry to see all these closures ,will miss Henlow and Colerne where I was in 68 with the then new Hercs.

Al

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”