Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Alfie

Re: Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

Post by Alfie » Fri Dec 04, 2015 5:28 pm

paddyboy wrote:"Corbyn is a far left wing dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them: it will happen to him sooner than he thinks."
Obviously the people of Oldham thought differently, it has not be widely reported (I wonder why) since Jeremy Corbyn has been elected as leader the support for the Labour party in the opinion polls has been growing. But if you read the UK press you would think the complete opposite.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:10 pm

Alfie wrote:paddyboy wrote:"Corbyn is a far left wing dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them: it will happen to him sooner than he thinks."
Obviously the people of Oldham thought differently, it has not be widely reported (I wonder why) since Jeremy Corbyn has been elected as leader the support for the Labour party in the opinion polls has been growing. But if you read the UK press you would think the complete opposite.
But the area is a Labour stronghold; they'll vote for Labour whoever is in charge - whether it's man-of-the-people Blair, hapless Brown, or IRA supporting Corbyn.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Fri Dec 04, 2015 6:41 pm

But the area is a Labour stronghold; they'll vote for Labour whoever is in charge - whether it's man-of-the-people Blair, hapless Brown, or IRA supporting Corbyn.
By elections never show the true feeling of a country. If there was an election tomorrow I dont think Corbyn would have a chance, there are still a lot around who remember the last lot of left wingers, and when this country was ruled by the unions.

I`ll bet he`s not the leader by the time of the next election.

Still the next few years will be interesting
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 7:58 pm

The Phantom and Deerhunter have said it all :lol:

Bye, bye, dinosaur, you have dug your own grave, thank goodness :lol:

Paddyboy :clap:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

mark.alan.barnes

Post by mark.alan.barnes » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:46 pm

I am a full on left winger but, like most things in life, you have to pick your fights.

Hilary Benn's excellent speech said that Daesh are not interested in our government, our way of life, our sense of decency and 'fair play.' There is no other option but to eradicate everything they are and everything they stand for.

Pussy footing about will do nothing. Negotiating will do nothing. Bombing may kill innocent people but sitting back will do that just as surely.

If you were a prisoner of Daesh, would you prefer to die in a strike that killed your tormentors or star in the next sickening propaganda video?

How many innocent people died during the Second World War? Should everyone have stood by then too?

Daesh are every bit as much a threat to you, me, our friends and families as the Nazi's ever were but due to our willingness to 'help', to 'welcome', to 'embrace' other cultures and ways of life while citing human rights we have brought this threat into our country.

We should re-institute severe punishments for treason or sedition. We are dealing with a group that has a medieval mind set. They do not operate with our reasonableness or compassion.

There is a time for peace. There is a time for diplomacy. There is a time for humanity too but time is the one thing we are running out of.

For what it is worth, my view goes far beyond a limited bombing campaign. We, The World, need to go wherever this excuse for humanity show their vile face, with our united forces and wipe them out.

I am also willing to completely disregard my own civil liberties and rights for privacy if it will make a better World for my children. I think that everyone in Great Britain should be processed, phone logs examined and internet browsing histories scrolled through. Yes is is an extreme measure but the threat to our very existence is equally extreme.

We should re arm our forces. We should invest in our industry. We should nationalise our water, our power, our banks and our health service as if we do not, the one per cent who sit at the top of the tree will get richer and more removed from all this chaos that is enveloping all our lives.

markranger

Post by markranger » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:47 pm

Can we keep this on the track of Syria and Iraq please,Pretty Sure Oldham is not in either. :thumbs:
Mark.
Nikon D850
Nikon D600
Nikon D500
Nikon 300 F2.8 VR1

Bushpilot

Post by Bushpilot » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:35 pm

Ok, back to planes, what sort of dent is this campaign going to make into the operational life of the Tornado fleet and are there spares in storage?
I want 2% of GDP and I want it NOW!

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:07 pm

Bushpilot wrote:Ok, back to planes, what sort of dent is this campaign going to make into the operational life of the Tornado fleet and are there spares in storage?

I would imagine that depends on their workload and amount of flying hours they tot up, have the last versions of GR.4 s got quite a good amount of flying hours left in them? also I would imagine that with them not being based in dusty environments like they were for Kuwait/Iraq etc, wouldn't that help things a bit?

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

22A

Post by 22A » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:35 am

Announced on the 11.30 news; the RAF has bombed oil fields again.

Meanwhile the Russians have stepped up their actions;
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/russia-bombs- ... ml#W8fRIUU
Russian airforce has struck nearly 1,500 targets all over Syria over the past nine days, the military said, its bombers now flying under cover of strategic fighter jets following the downing of a plane by Turkey last week.
Defence ministry spokesman Igor Konashenkov said in a briefing that the Russian air contingent carried out 431 sorties and bombed 1458 targets in several regions of Syria, without mentioning whether any of them were affiliated with the Islamic State jihadist group.

T_J

Post by T_J » Sat Dec 05, 2015 11:47 am

Israel has opened up their airspace for RAF flights. The transponders are switched off before they fly into the likes of Iraqi or Syrian airspace.

22A

Post by 22A » Sat Dec 05, 2015 3:01 pm

22A wrote:Announced on the 11.30 news; the RAF has bombed oil fields again.
2.00pm we were informed two Tornados were joined by a pair of Typhoons.
The reporter at Akrotiri announced the ground crew are working 12 hour shifts with four days off a month.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Dec 05, 2015 7:02 pm

Interesting posting on the news tonight that came from Cyprus with fallon being there briefing the aircrew of the Typhoons, the female reporter summed up by saying - if the vote came in favour of bombing in Syria, then these jets(Typhoons) could be used, I thought the typhoons had not been posted to Cyprus till after the commons had voted on attacks in Syria?

C.

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:22 am

Will the German Tornados be based in Cyprus too?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Trenchard

Post by Trenchard » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:17 am

C24 wrote:Will the German Tornados be based in Cyprus too?
Purely a guess but Turkey seems likely. The Germans have had good political and trade relations with the country for years
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

"Flexibility is the key to air power"

C24

Post by C24 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 12:56 pm

Aah!
Silly me! I have just finished two books about the Gallipoli campaign. Considering the German involvement at that time, I should have worked that one out.
Thanks Trenchard.
Bye the bye, you should be aware that the real Trenchard was given/allocated the RAF number of "1". Very fitting don't you think?
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

GaryS

Post by GaryS » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:32 pm

C24 wrote:Will the German Tornados be based in Cyprus too?
There were a couple of german airforce A340's around the Amman area earlier(on ppm) so maybe operafting from Jordan?

PONSH

Post by PONSH » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:37 pm

With everybody sending more aircraft to region, the possibility of the Turks restricting AirOps against ISIS & the emphasis of action moving westwards, there is a plethora of 'unsinkable aircraft carriers' in the Central-Eastern Med' in the shape of the Greek Island airfields, most of which are quasi-military.

Comet102

Post by Comet102 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:48 pm

Could be Al Azraq, the Belgians left in July 2015, but the Dutch and Bahraini's are still there.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:08 am

What is going on with Turkey being kicked out of Iraq today/yesterday from what was reported Turkey tried to move more assets in Iraq but Iraq have ordered them out lock stock and barrel.
Then there was the case of the 4 Russian cargo ships being impounded by the Turks due to Russia's actions in Syria.
And the setting up of more Turkish/Nato aircraft and missile batteries near the Syrian border.

Whats going on folks - It doesn't look healthy.

C.

POL

Post by POL » Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:37 pm

It's an armed conflict, generally they're not healthy.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”