Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
The Phantom

Re: Syrian/Iraq air war and conflict

Post by The Phantom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:15 pm

Vulcanone wrote: When will some people grasp they absolutely do not care for anyone but themselves and the ideals they try and impose on everyone else. And for the idiot in Labour whom let Gerry Adams into parliament shortly after the Brighton bombing to sit up and say oh this is not right - Hmm :ninja:
Just been looking at that online - unbelievable. What is it about the far left that they always have to support foreign terror groups?!
I saw on the BBC before about how Corbyn used to send letters of support to convicted IRA terrorists in the 1970s. I suppose nowadays he sends letters of support to convicted Islamic terrorists! :roll:

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:33 pm

Well said, The Phantom ;)

Corbyn is a far left wing dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them: it will happen to him sooner than he thinks :lol:
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:44 pm

I get really cross with some people I know, they're getting all happy clappy saying that we shouldn't bomb Syria because we'll kill many innocent people and that ISIS will launch terror attacks on the UK.

I seem to pop a few veins and send smoke out of my ears when I hear that nonsense :grr: . Firstly I point out that our aircraft have been flying into Iraq to hit ISIS targets, and at the same time point out that the complainers never batted an eyelid to that going on did they! Also, its a fact that our forces have been engaged in various conflicts around the globe for years, so going into Syrian airspace is just another day in the office for our aircrews.

Also, all this talk of us killing innocent civilians is complete garbage, ISIS are doing that anyway, so what do the happy clappies expect us to do? Let ISIS get on with it, or do we get in there and sort them out... what is it to be???

And, I take great pleasure in informing the complainers that the RAF are using high precision weapons, which are so accurate that the risk to civilian casualties is extremely low indeed. Not to mention that the RAF are not taking this on alone, as we are part of a bigger force involving some 18 countries (my last count).

I wish these happy clappy tree hugging loonies would really see the bigger picture, and understand that to do nothing isn't really an option!!!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Blackcat1

Post by Blackcat1 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:09 pm

Well said!!!!!
Gareth

6 Sqdn Canopeners
Oculi exercitus
Blackcats remembered
Jaguar Force Excellance! 2nd July 07.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:31 pm

TankBuster wrote:I get really cross with some people I know, they're getting all happy clappy saying that we shouldn't bomb Syria because we'll kill many innocent people and that ISIS will launch terror attacks on the UK.

I seem to pop a few veins and send smoke out of my ears when I hear that nonsense :grr: . Firstly I point out that our aircraft have been flying into Iraq to hit ISIS targets, and at the same time point out that the complainers never batted an eyelid to that going on did they! Also, its a fact that our forces have been engaged in various conflicts around the globe for years, so going into Syrian airspace is just another day in the office for our aircrews.

Also, all this talk of us killing innocent civilians is complete garbage, ISIS are doing that anyway, so what do the happy clappies expect us to do? Let ISIS get on with it, or do we get in there and sort them out... what is it to be???

And, I take great pleasure in informing the complainers that the RAF are using high precision weapons, which are so accurate that the risk to civilian casualties is extremely low indeed. Not to mention that the RAF are not taking this on alone, as we are part of a bigger force involving some 18 countries (my last count).

I wish these happy clappy tree hugging loonies would really see the bigger picture, and understand that to do nothing isn't really an option!!!

TankBuster
I get your point and can understand your logic till you get to the last line -

Please do not call "tree hugging" people - loonies Thank You :@

C.
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Thu Dec 03, 2015 5:54 pm

Corbyn is a far left wing dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them: it will happen to him sooner than he thinks
Well said Paddy,

Benn came out as a statesman....next leader ?
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:06 pm

paddyboy wrote:Corbyn is a far left wing dinosaur, and we all know what happened to them: it will happen to him sooner than he thinks :lol:
What makes me laugh is the fact he wants to negotiate with them. When someone's position is that you join their religion or you die there isn't much middle ground to agree on.

Perhaps Mr Corbyn would like to visit Syria and negotiate with them in person on behalf of the people of the UK? I think the only question would be which form of execution they would choose to use....

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Dec 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Cornish-guy wrote:
TankBuster wrote:I get really cross with some people I know, they're getting all happy clappy saying that we shouldn't bomb Syria because we'll kill many innocent people and that ISIS will launch terror attacks on the UK.

TankBuster

C.
Apologies for any offence caused, as none was intended. Its just my way of talking, its not very PC I know, but that's how I am!

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:12 pm

TankBuster wrote:
Cornish-guy wrote:

TankBuster

C.
Apologies for any offence caused, as none was intended. Its just my way of talking, its not very PC I know, but that's how I am!

TankBuster
Apology accepted and thank you,

I just get really really annoyed when I hear that mentioned as a slagging off term used of people who just want peace, some people think time and effort should be invested in sorting out this country, and not meddling in other countries affairs.
The so called improvements and intervention by the western world in the middle east - Iraq/Libya have not improved things much, I haven't seen these countries stabilize and improve much, back in the early 80s you could take a good holiday in Libya - you cant now same with Iraq, and if you could there isn't much left to visit.

C.

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:33 pm

I heard a report that" ...with Britain's increased assets, they will be contributing less than 8% of the total from 45 countries actually operating in the arena".

The news coverage is almost total, they, the media, do not yet publish the routes and targets of our people in real time.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:44 pm

Cornish-guy wrote: I just get really really annoyed when I hear that mentioned as a slagging off term used of people who just want peace
These lefties who just want peace and blame the UK for everything, why don't they go out to Syria and sit and chat with ISIS and ask them for peace - as they're the ones causing the trouble. Ask them to stop killing the people of Syria (who have had to flee their country in terror), and to stop carrying out barbaric acts of terrorism in Europe.
And then if they organise this peace with ISIS great: the RAF can come back home, and all the other air forces can go back to their respective countries.

Though of course it could be that within 5 minutes of sitting down with ISIS they just get their throats cut!

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:54 pm

Some interesting writing being posted on the net relating to the Turkey/Russian downed aircraft incident, instead of a gentle slap on the wrist of Turkey for being so gun-ho, NATO have decided to bolster defences along the Turkey/Syrian border and increase Turkeys air involvement and missile systems.

Tell ya folks the situation between Russia and Turkey(NATO) Is looking Serious...... :( :( :(

And I dare say Britain isn't going over there to act as a referee :'(

C.

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 8:35 am

[quote="Benn came out as a statesman....next leader ?[/quote]

I agree too great speech.

Thought of putting this on our local facebook page http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-34973203 (what is a Brimstone Missile) ;)

Couple of points of interest though.
1st Currently, the countries carrying out strikes on Syria don't have the capability of launching missiles from fast jets. Maverick??

2nd The RAF is planning to convert Typhoon F2 jets to be able to carry Brimstones, with the Tornado fleet due to be retired in 2019.

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 9:50 am

welshandy wrote: 1st Currently, the countries carrying out strikes on Syria don't have the capability of launching missiles from fast jets. Maverick??

2nd The RAF is planning to convert Typhoon F2 jets to be able to carry Brimstones, with the Tornado fleet due to be retired in 2019.
Are you asking a question above or quoting from somewhere?

The USAF, Moroccan, Bahraini, Canadian, Turkey, UAE, Australian and Jordanian all have the capability to use AGM-65, whether or not they are I don't know .

welshandy

Post by welshandy » Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:06 am

Thunder wrote:
welshandy wrote: 1st Currently, the countries carrying out strikes on Syria don't have the capability of launching missiles from fast jets. Maverick??

Are you asking a question above or quoting from somewhere?

The USAF, Moroccan, Bahraini, Canadian, Turkey, UAE, Australian and Jordanian all have the capability to use AGM-65, whether or not they are I don't know .
They are in the article from the BBC. I was pointing out that the BBC had, I thought had got it's facts wrong with regards to the capability of the jets out there(ie 48th FW F15E's Maverick capable). I also thought all RAF Typhoons(single seat) were now FGR4's or have I got that wrong?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 12:08 pm

I've never seen a F-15E carrying a AGM-65 although I dare say it could deploy it. On the Typhoon front you are quite correct in that all F2/T1 are now upgraded to FGR4/T3 status.

jingernut

Post by jingernut » Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:56 pm

Not kept up with a lot of the Syria news myself but I read that there have been over 3,000 air strikes since September 2014 in the area.

Yet with all of those bombs falling they still managed to plan and execute the Paris attacks. Do people really think if we just keep dropping bombs on them it's going to stop them?

And how are weapons like Brimstone going to help matters when as far as I have read, ISIL are embedded in the communities in tunnels?

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Dec 04, 2015 2:29 pm

The Paris terrorist cell was already embedded in Belgium/France as are a lot more cells across Europe. These guys were in Syria probably over a year ago, one did seemingly pass through Greece in the summer according to a passport that was found, but that has never been confirmed. If we hit IS in their heartlands it should hopefully stop anymore cells heading there for training and then heading back to Europe to create more atrocities. The only way you'll kill a beast for sure is to take it's head off and Syria is where the heads are at.

Intel speaks for itself in this case, the powers that be can track targets basically 24hrs a day and then call in airstrikes when the opportunity arises(most high profile targets not just in Syria are taken out while on the move, this way you can confirm more easily and less likelihood of innocent civilians getting hit) sometimes this can take months after first contact as you want that target to open as many doors and leads as possible(let him/her take you to other targets). For sure this isn't going to come to a conclusion within the next year or two.

22A

Post by 22A » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:09 pm

22A wrote:Surprise! Israel's joined in.
https://uk.news.yaho...-055810992.html
At the same time, Israel has been practicing against the S-300.
https://uk.news.yahoo.com/israel-traine ... ml#2A4Akp3

JERUSALEM/ATHENS (Reuters) - Israel has quietly tested ways of defeating an advanced air-defence system that Russia has deployed in the Middle East and that could limit Tel Aviv's ability to strike in Syria or Iran, military and diplomatic sources said. The sources said a Russian S-300 anti-aircraft system, sold to Cyprus 18 years ago but now located on the Greek island of Crete, had been activated during joint drills between the Greek and Israeli air forces in April-May this year.
The activation allowed Israel's warplanes to test how the S-300's lock-on system works, gathering data on its powerful tracking radar and how it might be blinded or bluffed. One defence source in the region said Greece had done so at the request of the United States, Israel’s chief ally, on at least one occasion in the past year. It was unclear whether Israel had shared its findings with its allies.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:15 pm

If it was deployed 18 years ago will it have the capability of the current system ? I expect Israel did learn something from the exercise though, and I'd be very surprised if the US don't have that knowledge by now as well.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”