Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Museum to create a "WOW" factor!

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
GOOSE

Re: RAF Museum to create a "WOW" factor!

Post by GOOSE » Sat May 15, 2010 7:53 pm

Chris H, thanks for your upbeat post and for providing a differing aspect to existing posts.

Please respect other member's opinions though.

We are interested in healthy, informed debate, not name calling.

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Sat May 15, 2010 9:50 pm

I think perhaps Chris is rather missing the point. It's not about the merits of architecture, it's about the very principle of how money is spent. The most glittering example of architectural brilliance wouldn't add to the RAF Museum's sum of knowledge, nor would it provide the visitor with so much as one more rivet to examine. It would be another typical triumph of presentation over content.
...oops, nothing to promote... is that wrong?

Quixoticish

Post by Quixoticish » Sun May 16, 2010 10:27 am

Sheff wrote:I think perhaps Chris is rather missing the point. It's not about the merits of architecture, it's about the very principle of how money is spent. The most glittering example of architectural brilliance wouldn't add to the RAF Museum's sum of knowledge, nor would it provide the visitor with so much as one more rivet to examine. It would be another typical triumph of presentation over content.
I'm not going to enter this debate, to do so would be to discuss the purpose of art and it's place in society, and as I'm sure you're aware that's a completely pointless discussion that leads to nowhere rapidly. Because there is no real right or wrong answer. It's the start of a very slippery slope!

Incidentally I apologise for the miserable and uncouth parts. But philistines? I'm afraid that's nothing but truth! ;)

viper3111

Post by viper3111 » Sun May 16, 2010 10:51 am

I can live with the philistine bit, it was the miserable that got me :lol:

hertsman

Post by hertsman » Sun May 16, 2010 1:04 pm

Wow! indeed. A discussion of art and architecture on FC? Who'd have thought it?

Of course this is very subjective, and you can't ignore the economics either, but if everything were designed for functionality alone, what a boring world it would be.

As to 'modern' art or architecture, well a lot of old stuff we may now admire was modern once, and was not necessarily applauded at the time it was created or built. Some of what we either abhor or admire now will suffer reversals of public taste in their lifetime. That's life and human nature. The proposed beacon at Hendon looks very eye-catching to me, and if it draws people in, including the kids, then it will do its bit for preserving the memory of the people, and machines, that made it possible.

hertsman
If in doubt, do the right thing

Sheff

Post by Sheff » Sun May 16, 2010 1:57 pm

I suppose it begs the question as to what you want to "draw the kids in" for? Amusement? If so, then what is the purpose of the museum? They claimed that they couldn't afford to repair and preserve a Beverley, so they scrapped it and bought a couple of plastic fighters. That really does sum-up their attitude. It's quite comical. I think the problem is that today's new breed of museum management is terrified of being perceived as being "old fashioned" as if it's almost a popularity contest to see which museum drags-in the most people. The way I see it is quite simple; If any visitor is somehow turned-off by the prospect of simply looking at aeroplanes, then they ought to be going somewhere else to amuse themselves, simple as that. There should never be any obligation to make a museum "popular" - that is completely at odds with the function of a museum. It is supposed to be a repository of historical artefacts and information, nothing more. But, tragically, that simple fact seems to have been overlooked these days. A beacon for heaven's sake... that money could be spent on getting some more aircraft into Hendon, but then I suppose the management wouldn't earn themselves any kudos if they didn't keep-up with their contemporaries elsewhere.
...oops, nothing to promote... is that wrong?

Figure8

Post by Figure8 » Sun May 16, 2010 2:38 pm

I have to agree with Sheff on this. It seems that the number crunchers want to get in on everything and anything, all supposedly to increase efficiency but in fact achieving the exact opposite. The numbers game is fought out in virtually every aspect of society to no real benefit.

I want museums to be there to inform and preserve for future generations, not to be somewhere to escape from the rain for an hour or two. I can remember as a kid visiting our local museum which had a fantastic collection of Egyptian mummies and other artifacts and being enthralled at dusty cabinets containing glass and wood drawers displaying butterflies and moths and glass cabinets with all sorts of examples pertaining to the local history.

None of this was combined with anything remotely interactive nor was it housed in a most architecturally outstanding building in modern terms. It did what it said on the tin and it was enough of an attraction for me to go there on my own as a child without having to be dragged there by parents or teachers.

I'm afraid that the presentation lark has been taken way too far in many facets of society. e.g. I used to read a black and white newspaper and gleaned all that I needed to without it being transformed into a multi coloured swapshop of dross. If it ain't broke why fix it.

Rant mode off.

Art
Regards

Art (The Lie in King)

hertsman

Post by hertsman » Sun May 16, 2010 2:41 pm

Well I guess the difficulty for any museum's management is that have to both preserve and protect for academic and cultural reasons, but they inhabit and operate in a financial world. That means trying to bridge the gap between historians, academics and enthusiasts, yet attracting people in sufficient numbers to pay for it. Which means you will get people from all walks of life and with varying degrees of real empathy, sometimes even antipathy, for the subject matter. Some will be encouraged and inspired and others not - that's their choice.

And of course I would like to see enough money to both house museums in inspirational buildings and fill them with genuine artefacts, but that's a hard balance to strike and get right all the time. On the whole I believe places such as Hendon and Duxford do a good job. I took my kids to both when they were younger, and both have retained a healthy respect for both history, aviation and their heritage now they are adults. At the time we had to amuse them as well, so we visited the playground so they could let off some steam where they didn't interfere with other peoples enjoyment. I have also attended lectures in Hendon's theatre where I have heard first-hand accounts from some very brave airmen, which would not have been the place for kids - but we have both been catered for, so I don't see why serious interest and a degree of amusement have to be mutually exclusive.

hertsman
If in doubt, do the right thing

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”