Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Mildenhall to close. Lakenheath to get F-35 by 2020

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
Snoop 95

Re: RAF Mildenhall to close. Lakenheath to get F-35 by 2020

Post by Snoop 95 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:31 pm

Thunder wrote:Mildenhall(which I remind you is USAF and not RAF)
Not so. All UK USAF bases remain the property of the Mod and each has an RAF Officer as its nominal head. So the title RAF is correct.

blackhandgang17

Post by blackhandgang17 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:03 pm

Also remember that it is doubtful that Marshalls or the RAF will move into Mildenhall as the Electrics will be 110v and would cost millions to change them to 220v as happened to upper heysord as when it closed rumours were that the Laarbruch tornados were going to move in until the estimates for the electrical system changes were made

C24

Post by C24 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:22 pm

tm74sqn wrote:Become a train spotter - whoops! I mean railway enthusiast. Just need to have the operation . . . .
TM74
Oops! If you are correct, I must take some of the blame as yesterday I uploaded to Flickr my only ever image of a steam railway engine. A4, 60009 Union of South Africa. Look what has happened during its 80 year life. Beeching, etc! ;)

World events change rapidly so expect more closures (& variations ) in them coming years. The F35s are not yet a done deal.

Tutors to RAF Wittering looks better now.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Jammo

Post by Jammo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:25 pm

Very sad news indeed, been a huge part of alot of peoples lives, won't seem right having no Mildenhall, hopefully the RC's will move to the Heath, i guess they don't need much infrastructure for what they do, quarters, office's and a set of hardstands, all of which is there already, there will be more USAF heavies there as well, which will make up a small part, plus movements weekends most probably.

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:33 pm

http://www.stripes.com/news/europe/raf- ... s-1.322825

In Germany, both Ramstein and Spangdahlem air bases will gain personnel and aircraft.

Ramstein, already host to one of the busiest airfields in the U.S. Air Force, will take on the air-to-air refueling mission, with plans to move 15 KC-135 Stratotankers and about 700 personnel from the 100th Air Refueling Wing at Mildenhall to the Kaiserslautern-area base, said Maj. Mike Andrews, a USAFE-AFAFRICA spokesman.

The special operations mission will go to Spangdahlem, where about 10 CV-22 Ospreys and 10 MC-130J aircraft and associated personnel from the 352nd Special Operations Group at Mildenhall will relocate, USAFE officials said.

“The EIC identified sufficient excess capacity at both Ramstein and Spangdahlem to absorb the missions currently at RAF Mildenhall,” Andrews said.

Relocating the 606th Air Control Squadron and about 300 personnel from Spangdahlem to Aviano Air Base in Italy will free up some space at Spangdahlem for the special operations move, saving the Air Force about $50 million in military construction funding, USAFE officials said. A similar air control squadron was inactivated at Aviano in 2013, creating space for the Spangdahlem unit.
SD2000N & D-777 | Ecoflex 10 | BPFs | Pre-amps | Airspy | SDR#

vinnyboy

Re: RAF Mildenhall to End Missions. Lakenheath to get F35 by

Post by vinnyboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:41 pm

Southwest wrote:
vinnyboy wrote: I cant believe this is happening and mildenhall would have been the best to keep open.
Obviously, you have great knowledge and wisdom to come out with this. Are you prepared to tell us why, in your opinion, Mildenhall is the best to be kept open? Or is it just because you've bought a scanner?
No its not because of a scanner i brought although it will be quiet when The Hall goes. The Hall is a bigger base it has a longer runway and can cater for all aircraft. LN is not a patch on the hall. The government are looking for more housing xo mildenhall is ideal for another housing estate. It would be a good airport but that wont happen. As for LN creating jobs where do they get that rubbish from. There will be less aircraft for a start so all lies. Very disappointing for all involved and the local area. Sad Times.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:48 pm

I just watched the news report on the BBC Look East news programme. The news reporter did state that the MOD have indicated, that they see no future defence use for Mildenhall.

I think the base would make a darn good motor racing circuit ;) .

I've just thought... What will become of the 56th RQS?

TankBuster
Last edited by TankBuster on Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And there's plenty more where that came from!

vinnyboy

Post by vinnyboy » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:52 pm

That would be good but wont happen. Its got housing written all over it with maybe a few shops and a industrial estate. So sad.

DaveChapman

Post by DaveChapman » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:55 pm

My thoughts:
Some extra personel needed for the new squadron ( resurrect 491st fighter bomber sqn) giving 4 squadrons
F-15C`s phased out from 2017, 493d become F35 in 2021
Extra personel for the Lockheed Martin hub that will be built at the heath to save sending all partner countries jets to the states when needing overhauls/upgrades
Way off the mark or somewhere near? I am nowhere near as knowledgable as most of you guys but would love to hear your thoughts
Cheers Dave

POL

Re: RAF Mildenhall to End Missions. Lakenheath to get F35 by

Post by POL » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:56 pm

vinnyboy wrote:
Southwest wrote:
vinnyboy wrote: I cant believe this is happening and mildenhall would have been the best to keep open.
Obviously, you have great knowledge and wisdom to come out with this. Are you prepared to tell us why, in your opinion, Mildenhall is the best to be kept open? Or is it just because you've bought a scanner?
No its not because of a scanner i brought although it will be quiet when The Hall goes. The Hall is a bigger base it has a longer runway and can cater for all aircraft. LN is not a patch on the hall. The government are looking for more housing xo mildenhall is ideal for another housing estate. It would be a good airport but that wont happen. As for LN creating jobs where do they get that rubbish from. There will be less aircraft for a start so all lies. Very disappointing for all involved and the local area. Sad Times.
Sir, you are talking nonsense.

Mildenhall was 9220ft before the latest extension, Lakenheath is 9000ft. However, Lakenheath has room for three or four transport aircraft and a multitude of fast jets of various sizes and can operate both aircraft without the need for derigging the cables, whereas Mildenhall cannot. Furthermore, Lakenheath has the largest military hospital in Europe and various other top-class facilities.

Jammo

Post by Jammo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 pm

Could become a Spaceport, the Govenment were looking for a site a while ago :P
Would be nice to see rocket launches down the road :clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumb:

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:59 pm

:grr: :grr: :grr: :grr: Just read the artical. Lakenheath is ok, but what about Mildenhall, as a Hub for aircraft rotation to Europe. Apart from Fairford and Lakenheath, what other operational bases do the USAFE have in the UK? :unsure:
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

airfixpilot
Location: Sth killingholme, Nth Lincolnshire. Home of the OIL Refinerys: LOL

Post by airfixpilot » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:01 pm

Jammo wrote:Could become a Spaceport, the Govenment were looking for a site a while ago :P
Would be nice to see rocket launches down the road :clap: :clap: :clap:
:thumb:

Yeah lets give it to Richard Branson as a space port, for the Virgin spacecraft :lol:
WATCHING & LISTENING IN LINCOLNSHIRE
Keep Calm & Carry On, Stay Positive & Chill.

Chill to Military Airband in the background with a coffee & Biscuits.
Listening into airband on the east coast of Lincolnshire.

David

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Snoop 95 wrote:No mention of Feltwell, Fairford or Menwith Hill so I guess they are all staying.
With hindsight I suppose the inactivation of 3rd Air Force at Mildenhall in the early noughties and subsequent reactivation at Ramstein was 'writing on the wall'.
Fairford is NATO funded as far as I am aware so wouldn't necessarily figure in the cuts.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Lossie

Post by Lossie » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:02 pm

Wouldn't hold out a great deal of hope of much weekend transient traffic at LN once Mildenhall closes. Unless it's directly related to an LN deployment or mission why open up a whole base when there is Ramstein, Spangdahlem, Brize, Prestwick and Shannon all open 24/7 (the US mil use the last two a lot at present as most people know).

peasus911

Post by peasus911 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:03 pm

Hi, Sorry if I'm going over old ground but the press statement says the following;

Mildenhall’s Boeing KC-135s and the 352nd Special Operations Group – including a fleet of Bell Boeing CV-22 Osprey tiltrotors – are expected to move to Germany, while its Boeing RC-135s will be relocated elsewhere in the UK. Italy is expected to house the 606th Air Control Squadron as it relocates from Spangdahlem, Germany, while the US presence at Lajes Field in Portugal will decline in size.

Would this poss be RAF Fairford for the RC-135's as its recently had new runway etc.
Sorry again if already covered.

TankBuster

Post by TankBuster » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:04 pm

DaveChapman wrote:My thoughts:
Some extra personel needed for the new squadron ( resurrect 491st fighter bomber sqn) giving 4 squadrons
F-15C`s phased out from 2017, 493d become F35 in 2021
Extra personel for the Lockheed Martin hub that will be built at the heath to save sending all partner countries jets to the states when needing overhauls/upgrades
Way off the mark or somewhere near? I am nowhere near as knowledgable as most of you guys but would love to hear your thoughts
Cheers Dave
With the F-35's at both LN and Marham, it would certainly make good sense to have a heavy maintenance hub at one of the bases.

TankBuster
And there's plenty more where that came from!

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:06 pm

Hi All

With all the "what ifs, maybes and speculation" on here, fact remians is it isn't a surprise this is going to happen, budgets are being cut all the time :(

A lot of enthusiasts, including myself, will really miss this place, have met some really nice people there over the years, but, the most important factor here is the effect on the local economy, (Mildenhall town in particular) and the job losses, house prices (as a lot will become vacant at once) and so on that goes with closure of a base like this!

We can speculate as much as we like as to what 'they should have done' and 'what is going where' etc, but it won't do any good, so lets enjoy it while we can and capture lots of images and movies.

Just to add one quote from 'Stars and Stripes' which refers to a question asked earlier in this thread, re F15 departure dates....
"As Lakenheath prepares to host F-35s beginning in 2020, the current plan is to keep the F-15s at the base through the summer of 2016, Andrews said. Plans for the interim are still being considered."
So does that leave LN without aircraft for 2 years? :O

Tankbuster, can see no mention of 56th RS so I assume they stay as they are....? And I thought Marham was to be F35 maintenance hub for Europe? (this is why marham got the F35 not Lossie, as it was to be near to LN that was to be future F35 equipped?)

A very sad news day :'(

Trev

Jammo

Post by Jammo » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:09 pm

TeeJay wrote: So does that leave LN without aircraft for 2 years? :O
Trev

Raptors ??? :whistle:
:clap: :clap: :clap:

TeeJay

Post by TeeJay » Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:10 pm