Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Call to save military airfields from closure

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
welshandy

Call to save military airfields from closure

Post by welshandy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:24 am

andrewn

Re: Call to save military airfields from closure

Post by andrewn » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:05 pm

A valiant effort, and the best of luck to them!

paddyboy

Post by paddyboy » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:17 pm

Hmmmmm; I wonder if there could yet be a reprieve for Mildenhall :whistle:

I live in hope ;)
XH558, always the first lady in my life
Just remember, please don't tell the wife

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

baz1

Post by baz1 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:36 pm

paddyboy wrote:Hmmmmm; I wonder if there could yet be a reprieve for Mildenhall :whistle:

I live in hope ;)
I hope so for you guys down that neck of the woods :thumb:
Comfortably Numb

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Sat Apr 21, 2018 3:46 pm

paddyboy wrote:Hmmmmm; I wonder if there could yet be a reprieve for Mildenhall :whistle:
I think there's a chance while Trump is about - even if only a slim one.

Bobcode

Post by Bobcode » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:03 pm

The loss of Mildenhall would be a total disaster on many levels. Notwithstanding the blow to our hobby, the local economy rely heavily on the base, it would cause irrevicable harm. There has been much wittering on about building houses on the site, I just wonder how much thought has been given to infrastructure, homes are no good without jobs and employment for those people.......a dark day if it goes ahead.

jem60

Post by jem60 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 7:54 pm

BOBCODE. I agree with a lot of your comments. My view is that it WILL eventually go, but I have no idea with the world situation as to when that will be.. My 'vision' is that it may well end up as a massive Science park, with technology institutes etc. as an over spill from Cambridge. There is a massive future in science projects in this country, and some of the finest scientific brains in the world work in this part of the world. Houses would be required, many jobs would be created, it would already have it's own airfield, and decent roads etc., are not that far away. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future.

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:35 am

Was told a few years ago that Wittering was on a 99 years lease from the local estate and the lease the RAF pay a pity sum of a guinea a year (21 shillings) and if close have to revert to farm land and the remove of runways hardstands that's why there was a limit on nightflights how right I do not know

pg1610

Post by pg1610 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:17 am

Not sure what the fuss is here, apart from Mildenhall most have been closed for years

I know a few UAS Grobs operate but they dont need full size military airfields and as for the GA thing what a load of nonsesnse

1000s of jobs may be a low number 100 if that ,

how many RAF personnel are still based at Wethersfield or Woodbridge

plmc135

Post by plmc135 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:25 am

Well said and if the sale generates a bit more funding for our current armed forces then all the better.

Ghastly Whisper

Post by Ghastly Whisper » Sun Apr 22, 2018 9:42 am

britaylor wrote:Was told a few years ago that Wittering was on a 99 years lease from the local estate and the lease the RAF pay a pity sum of a guinea a year (21 shillings) and if close have to revert to farm land and the remove of runways hardstands that's why there was a limit on nightflights how right I do not know
Whispers are that theres other reasons for keeping Wittering, not good reasons either....
pg1610 wrote:Not sure what the fuss is here, apart from Mildenhall most have been closed for years
Agreed, no big loss
plmc135 wrote:Well said and if the sale generates a bit more funding for our current armed forces then all the better.
ha! more cuts coming soon, IIRC were due another one of those SDR? things soon?
Growing old disgracefully

F3

Need to halt the airbase sale recognised at last

Post by F3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:14 pm

Interesting article from yesterday's Times re - the need to retain some of the air bases that have been earmarked for sale by the MoD which has been recognised by an all party parliamentary group on general aviation. They have written to Gavin Williamson expressing 'deep and growing concern' over the proposed sale of the bases which include Halton, Mildenhall, N.Luffenham + Wyton and take the view that their retention is required as an insurance against any future threat in these uncertain times as 'airfields are national assets which are virtually impossible to replace'. Anyone else getting the distinct aroma of coffee?

plmc135

Re: Need to halt the airbase sale recognised at last

Post by plmc135 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 3:54 pm

viewtopic.php?f=287&t=161035

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:31 pm

Ghastly Whisper wrote:
britaylor wrote:Was told a few years ago that Wittering was on a 99 years lease from the local estate and the lease the RAF pay a pity sum of a guinea a year (21 shillings) and if close have to revert to farm land and the remove of runways hardstands that's why there was a limit on nightflights how right I do not know
Whispers are that theres other reasons for keeping Wittering, not good reasons either....
pg1610 wrote:Not sure what the fuss is here, apart from Mildenhall most have been closed for years
Agreed, no big loss
plmc135 wrote:Well said and if the sale generates a bit more funding for our current armed forces then all the better.
ha! more cuts coming soon, IIRC were due another one of those SDR? things soon?
Last edited by britaylor on Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

britaylor

Post by britaylor » Sun Apr 22, 2018 4:33 pm

I know about Wittering that's if it still happens ??

F3

Post by F3 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:35 pm

Interesting to hear about the lease clause @ Wittering. My relative was stationed @ Syerston back in the '90s which is largely derelict and that has survived for precisely the same reason i.e. would cost too much to restore the land to its original condition. On this basis I would expect it to be safe as the whole exercise is about making money, not spending more. Wittering situation maybe even more complicated due to fact that it was created from two separate airfields during the War which were allegedly joined together by acquiring the intervening land via 'unofficial channels'. At least according to the biography of the former CO who did the deal with the landowner!

Vulcanone

Post by Vulcanone » Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:50 pm

Wittering and Collyweston were certainly combined at some point. I think they may have even had something at Easton on the Hill as well. Although as I haven't lived near Witters since 2003 I can't remember now...

As for the last time North Luffenham last had anything on it?

However the BBC story regards the closed airfields which have already been announced (back in 2016 IIRC) I suspect others may follow.

ColintheCaterpillar

Post by ColintheCaterpillar » Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Vulcanone wrote:Wittering and Collyweston were certainly combined at some point.
1945 or 46 IIRC.

Interesting to see Molesworth on the list. Ok, it's got a big pan and some hangars, but lost its runways in the 50s or 60s!

C24

Post by C24 » Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:00 am

Wittering & Colleyweston were combined in 1941 to become a relief airfield for damaged bombers (mainly) returning from raids. It effectively became a very long runway of about 1 3/4mile of grass.
It was equipped with several sets of heavy machinery allowing removal of wrecks within a short time thus clearing the landing area for subsequent diversions from active airfields.
Currently being used due to the cost of returning the airfield to fields suitable for agriculture.
C24.
493d/48th - Grim Reapers Supporter.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/charlie-two-four/ FuzzyFastjetFotos, incorporating "HazyHelos"
There's no "go-round" in a glider.

Junkjet

Post by Junkjet » Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:18 am

It would be daft not to support the retention of airfields, as we know not what horrors the future could bring. We were caught short with ww2, we should NEVER forget.
At least some of the airfields could be kept for civilian use and supported, the world does not rotate around Heathrow.
We have thrown away brilliant British aircraft like the Harrier/Sea Harrier, what folly is next?
JJ

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”