Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

RAF Typhoon fleet.

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.

Re: RAF Typhoon fleet.

Postby 3051Howe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:34 pm

So,

I'm going to be that guy and ask the stupid questions that people very much will know the answer to on here.

I've read wiki in relation to what the different Tranches mean and the blocks for each tranche. Can someone tell me where we're at in the sense of, are all new deliveries now Tranche 3A? Of the pre-existing jets have they all been upgraded to Tranche 3 standard or are they storing older Tranche 1/2 jets and delivering new ones instead.

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now and I'm trying to get back in and understand where they Typhoon is at

Sorry if it's already been explained on here, I just didn't have the time to trawl through every page. If it has been explained can someone quote it for me, or if not bring me up to speed please!
3051Howe

Postby tm74sqn » Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:35 pm

I'm not an expert on this, but just in case there are no other answers -
Some trance 1 aircraft, T.3s so far, are being scrapped / spares recovered; FGR.4s to be retained for the two new squadrons and some already in store at Shawbury.
Tranche 2 aircraft to remain in service. Have been / can be modified to a standard near, but not completely to, that of tranche 3 a/c.
Tranche 3 a/c are the current deliveries.
HTH, TM74
tm74sqn

Postby 3051Howe » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:07 pm

Thanks tm74sqn!

I thought that might the case. Was at Coningsby yesterday and saw two go out to go into storage at Shawbury.

From what I've been told the T3s are going as they're going to the same training style as F-35 where it's all sim based and first flight will be in an FGR4?

What are the two new squadrons that are coming?
3051Howe

Postby kstater94 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:13 pm

To add to the discussion, yes, current deliveries are Tranche 3, Block 25.

The first of the two squadrons identified is 12 squadron. They will be based at Coningsby and their initial responsibility will be to train the Qataris.

Cheers!
John
kstater94

Postby TARGET » Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:38 am

Think Tranche 2 aircraft can be/are upgraded for swing role capability but unlike Tranche 3 aircraft are unable to be retro fitted with Escan radar and are not Conformal Tank compatable.Not sure about any other differences.
TARGET

Postby 3051Howe » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Cheers for the info guys!!
3051Howe

Postby Agent K » Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:47 pm

kstater94 wrote:To add to the discussion, yes, current deliveries are Tranche 3, Block 25.

The first of the two squadrons identified is 12 squadron. They will be based at Coningsby and their initial responsibility will be to train the Qataris.

Cheers!
John

Are there not 3 new squadrons being formed now? I believe the recent statement identified 12 as an addition to the two previously announced but as of yet numbers unknown squadrons.
Agent K

Previous

Return to The Fighter Control Mess