Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

More than nine P-8s planned for RAF?

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.

More than nine P-8s planned for RAF?

Postby Davef68 » Wed May 17, 2017 2:50 pm

UK serials are reporting that up to 15 serials have been allocated for the RAF's new P-8 Poseidon fleet - the announced 9 aircraft buy, and another 6 serials noted as 'allocated'.

http://www.ukserials.com/results.php?serial=ZP

Of course, this doesn't mean we will see 15 aircraft, but it does perhaps signal a long term intent. In comparison, C17s serial slots were allocated several years before the additional 4 aircraft trickle orders were placed (and two were never taken up).

UK Serials do have very good sources!
Davef68

Re: More than nine P-8s planned for RAF?

Postby Supra » Wed May 17, 2017 5:08 pm

I'll be amazed & delighted to see the first one landing in full RAF markings (or SNP as appropriate ;)) as hopefully it will be a clear sign we can expect at least 2 more?
Don't know much about Serials, but there must've been a big gap of Nimrod MR4A not taken-up :whistle: It aint done 'til it's done!
Supra

Postby the concerned » Wed May 17, 2017 6:20 pm

Maybe they are thinking of a top up buy to replace the sentinels
the concerned

Postby Stroudy » Thu May 18, 2017 10:59 am

Hope it comes in MR4A darker grey, the universal bleached grey they flog them off to everyone else in isn't exactly exciting. It would be positive to have a bit of UK identity to them, as opposed to the 'double take' you have to do to distinguish between our RC-135's and 'theirs'.
Stroudy

Postby Bluetail » Fri May 19, 2017 3:23 pm

You are a CAD T-J :ninja:
I do what the voices in my head tell me to do!!!!
WEBSITE... http://3adpictures.wordpress.com/
Bluetail

Postby tommc » Fri May 19, 2017 4:50 pm

Davef68 wrote:UK serials are reporting that up to 15 serials have been allocated for the RAF's new P-8 Poseidon fleet - the announced 9 aircraft buy, and another 6 serials noted as 'allocated'.

http://www.ukserials.com/results.php?serial=ZP

Of course, this doesn't mean we will see 15 aircraft, but it does perhaps signal a long term intent. In comparison, C17s serial slots were allocated several years before the additional 4 aircraft trickle orders were placed (and two were never taken up).

UK Serials do have very good sources!

The extra serials are just put aside for potential attrition replacements. Remember, this fleet will probably be in service for a fair few decades.
tommc

Postby filmman » Fri May 19, 2017 10:16 pm

Don't get too excited. With pensioner's cuts - triple lock, means tested heating allowance and the dementia tax - and the NEW MOD Black Hole I would expect cuts to stay within the 2%, not increasing procurement.
Sorry.
Filmman
filmman

Return to The Fighter Control Mess