Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

A forum for discussing all things related to MILITARY AVIATION including Military Aviation news. No off-topic discussions here please.
MR TERRY GREEN

Re: British Phantom Aviation Group (Official Topic)

Post by MR TERRY GREEN » Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am

Great work by everybody concerned.Wonderful to see this great aircraft in fine form.Brings back memories of Mildenhall Air-Fete taking to many pictures of this colour scheme on a sunny day.Never to many f-4 pictures though.

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:36 pm

One final shot from Cosford, and its a beauty. Thanks to Damien Burke for sharing it with us.

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

Lovely
Could I suggest the M on the starbord intake guard is changed to a B?

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:08 pm

MR TERRY GREEN wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:42 am
Great work by everybody concerned.Wonderful to see this great aircraft in fine form.Brings back memories of Mildenhall Air-Fete taking to many pictures of this colour scheme on a sunny day.Never to many f-4 pictures though.
Hi Terry. Thank you for your kind words, it is much appreciated.

If you do have any pictures of UK Phantoms from back in the day, we would love to see them.

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:12 pm

Stroudy wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:21 am
I'd just like to say thanks to the volunteers at BPAG for their time at Cosford. One person, an ex-nav, took the time to thoroughly show my 6 year old son and I around the back seat of XV490.. and was patient enough to answer all of his 1001 questions! I learned a huge amount in 20 mins and it was very interesting to hear about the ex-nav's many Soviet intercepts around the world in the cold war, low flying sub hunting Bear-F's trying to squash them into the north sea if they got too close underneath trying to photograph their detection equipment being particularly fascinating!

All the best for the future, Marcus.
Hello Marcus,

Thanks for the post. Both of our members (Dave Gledhill and Caroline Paige) who were conducting the cockpit tours last Sunday have written books about their time in service, which contain more details about their experiences in the back seat of the Phantom. If you found the conversations fascinating, we are sure that you will enjoy reading about them too.

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:14 pm

iainpeden wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm
Lovely
And arouse the wrath of the symmetry police? Our lives wouldn't be worth living...

Hendon Chipmunk

Post by Hendon Chipmunk » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:05 pm

BPAG wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:14 pm
iainpeden wrote:
Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm
Lovely
And arouse the wrath of the symmetry police? Our lives wouldn't be worth living...
Also, no, the aircraft is not 'Bravo Mike', (s)he's 'Mike' who happens to be painted a beautiful black colour!

BPAG

Post by BPAG » Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:51 am

Its a busy week for XV490. Tomorrow and Wednesday, it will be on display at the Lincolnshire Show at the Lincolnshire Showgrounds. Then, this weekend sees the annual Cockpit Fest at Newark Air Museum. Cockpit visits will be available at both events and BPAG team members will be on hand to chat and answer your questions. Hope to see you there!

Return to “The Fighter Control Mess”