Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Canon Powershot SX70

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
John W

Canon Powershot SX70

Post by John W » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:22 am

Hi Folks.

Would be interested to know if any of the experts in here have any thoughts on the Canon SX70
It's due for release sometime during November.

https://www.photographyblog.com/reviews ... view/news/

TIA.

Regards,

John

Evergreen 44

Re: Canon Powershot SX70

Post by Evergreen 44 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:32 am

Hello John,
I am certainly no expert but have had the earlier model SX60 for just over a year now and I find it great as a general purpose camera ideal for spotting trips as it is compact and the reach of the zoom lens is great for aircraft regs even with a distant dimly lit hangar.
The SX60 is not so good for panning as it struggles with tracking the subject but static and distance ideal. Perhaps the SX70 will address that issue.
Like others I have been waiting for the SX70 for ages wondering if it will ever be released. I was considering the Sony RX10 mk4 as the compromise bridge/DSLR just to reduce the weight of bodies and lenses as bridge cameras should avoid the dust spot issue with having a dedicated lens.
If you google differences between the Sony and SX60 there are some good performance differences to help you prioritise which features you need the most. Might help with your decision :

https://cameradecision.com/compare/Cano ... SC-RX10-IV

Best regards,
Paul

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:40 am

I basically echo what Paul said above, bridge/compact cameras are good for static and museum shots as well as general purpose photography. Generally speaking they don't pan well as they are too slow to adjust between settings . I have a dslr that I use for most things and a Bridge camera is good to carry at airshows for static shots. The greater the zoom range means the batteries will run out quicker.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

John W

Post by John W » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:59 pm

Thank you Paul and John for those inputs.
Very helpful and constructive.

Interest has been dulled a little, as release was supposed to be November, and with December just arriving, it indicates to me they may have some Probs with it.

Thanks Both.

Regards,
John

Evergreen 44

Post by Evergreen 44 » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:41 pm

Hello John,
The release date for this has been slow in coming and fully expect it to be further delayed beyond November.
The earlier thinking was that was for the final release they would add features not seen on the competition to make it lead choice.
Early rumours had it featuring x100 zoom but looks like not to be.
Either way we all find our point on the choice curve in terms of features we would like and price we are prepared to pay.
I would avoid the initial release phase anyway and leave it a good six months or so to see how it is received by early adopters and product reviewers to see if it lives up to the hype.
I was advised to evaluate what my existing camera no longer provides before shelling out on something new and allegedly better.
If nothing else if you save some cash in the six months before buying you will have a genuine (and affordable) choice to make between that and anything else which you consider suitable.
Best regards,
Paul

John W

Post by John W » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:40 pm

Thanks Paul.

Good advice.

Regards,

John

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”