Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Scanned Image Repair Tips please?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Knife 04

Scanned Image Repair Tips please?

Post by Knife 04 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 4:56 pm

Hi chaps

Come across these couple in the archive - the right hand side of the scanned neg has faded compared to the left. Wonder if anybody had a work flow to repair this type of image? (have a couple more as well). Cannot find anything (sensible) on line. The 2 below have only been re-sized to allow posting

Any advice / tips / ideas gratefully received

Many thanks

Darren

ImageAny advice / work flow to repair this one please? by Darren Currie, on Flickr

ImageAny advice / work flow to repair this one please? by Darren Currie, on Flickr

ChrisCwmbran

Re: Scanned Image Repair Tips please?

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm

I'm no expert of this Darren but I think you might do it using something called "frequency separation".

If you Google it, you might find it of use.

I hope so anyway mate. They are well worth fixing!

tm74sqn

Post by tm74sqn » Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:05 pm

I have several sets of slides, and B&W film, that have similar problems. I have always believed that it was a defect in the original wet film processing. For example, the fixer chemical in processing tank not adequately mixed or stirred, or temperature variation from top to bottom of the fixer. Subsequent exposure to even very low levels of light over many years could then degrade the not-adequately fixed part of the images. My theory could be a load of rubbish but, in any event, I haven't ever found an answer. Hopefully someone on this forum will have a better explanation!

dollar99

Post by dollar99 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm

Darren

Missed this one, sorry.

I'd go with tm74sqn's analysis of the issue. I have some slides that have had the edges in too much light and they get a similar, but not as pronounced effect.

Can you email me a copy and I'll see if the Facebook group has come across similar issues and if so have they managed a fix.

Ian

PS check your PMs :P
Eagles soar, but Weasels don't get sucked in to jet engines.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/139706453@N02/albums

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 8:20 am

Morning Ian
Thanks a lot for this - no PM in inbox here :O
Will send picture over via e mail a little later
Appreciate any help on this
Darren

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:28 pm

dollar99 wrote:
Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:30 pm
PS check your PMs :P
Heads up - incoming! :whistle:

dollar99

Post by dollar99 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:40 pm

Replied :halo:

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:40 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:23 pm
I'm no expert of this Darren but I think you might do it using something called "frequency separation".

If you Google it, you might find it of use.

I hope so anyway mate. They are well worth fixing!
tm74sqn wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:05 pm
I have several sets of slides, and B&W film, that have similar problems. I have always believed that it was a defect in the original wet film processing. For example, the fixer chemical in processing tank not adequately mixed or stirred, or temperature variation from top to bottom of the fixer. Subsequent exposure to even very low levels of light over many years could then degrade the not-adequately fixed part of the images. My theory could be a load of rubbish but, in any event, I haven't ever found an answer. Hopefully someone on this forum will have a better explanation!
Thank you very much both of you - much appreciated and apologies for missing your responses - have several like this Chris and hope I find an 'easy ish' fix for them - passed over to Ian to have a look at as a top man in the field and has come up with some good fixes in the past :Wow:

Many thanks again and all the best

Darren

dollar99

Post by dollar99 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm

Oh dear, I believe top man bigs me up a tad too far :O

This does raise a serious question though as to how much time and effort to put in to image rescue. If time is really no issue then some of the repairs i have seen make it worth it, but the complexity to get a good image can be mind boggling. I run a FaceBook group where some of the folks are truly expert at PhotoShop and the tools that can be used. I can usually get a half decent image from my scans but will admit if they start to take too much effort I will compromise and settle for anything that is better than the original.

If anyone on here uses FB then the group is https://www.facebook.com/groups/1102434186467646/ . You are welcome to join, it is very quiet, only springing in to life when we get Darren's cast offs :P

Ian

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:17 pm

dollar99 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm
Oh dear, I believe top man bigs me up a tad too far :O
I think not!
dollar99 wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:17 pm
only springing in to life when we get Darren's cast offs :P Ian
Yeah, yeah - loads of those 'cast offs' to come mate :lol: ! Appreciate all the help from you and the group

Darren

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”