Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Little help please

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Bnnunn1

Little help please

Post by Bnnunn1 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:27 am

As title suggest. Could anyone help me? I am going to fairford next week but am unsure of what settings to use on my camera. Would like to get inflight pictures.I have a nikon d5300 and sigma 70-300 lens. Any help greatly appreciated.

Thank you
Ben

TREBAX_RAVEN

Re: Little help please

Post by TREBAX_RAVEN » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:39 am

Hi ben, here are the settings i usually use for doing most airshow stuff.
for fast jets and stuff;

shutter speed; 1/1000
aperture; f5.6-f8
ISO; i generally leave it in auto.
auto focus; AFC (auto focus continues)

for propeller driven aircraft;

shutter speed; 1/250
aperture; f5.6-f8
ISO; again leave it in auto
Auto focus; same again.

these settings should get you some nice sharp images of the fast jets and get you some nice prop blur on propeller driven stuff.
Tribute to 47 squadron

herc15

Post by herc15 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:50 am

hey thats the same set up i used to have.
be careful with leaving your ISO on auto as it tends to pump it it mega high wreaking your images.i suggest anything from ISO 100-400 but it just depends on the conditions. have a play with the settings i would and be aware that 1/250 without being able to pan can lead to loads of blurry photos.

Green133

Post by Green133 » Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:58 am

Agree with Herc15.Put a limit on the auto iso. I learned the hard way once at RIAT when just starting out. If you get chance get some practise in with flying birds before you go next week.

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:57 am

There's nothing like leaving things to the last minute.

Short of advising you to get out and practice on anything that moves then learn from your mistakes, I would suggest setting the camera on Auto or P modes and hoping for the best and do not be too disappointed by the lack of results.

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Sun Jul 08, 2018 9:57 am

Afraid I'm with Wallace on this one - you have left it a bit late. Panning is a skill that takes time to develop - if ever for some. However not wishing to dampen your spirits too much, use whatever time you have to get out and photograph anything that moves if you still want in-flight shots. As already inferred, expect little and anything else is a bonus. At least with digital you can shoot, shoot, shoot with no cost except time afterwards.

Hope you have a great Fairford and hopefully get some good shots.

pawlee1

Post by pawlee1 » Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:55 pm

If it all goes T*ts up Ben , PHOTOSHOP or similar software is available. :thumb:
pawlee

Supra

Post by Supra » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:11 am

Valid advice from pawlee1, but remember that "you can't polish a turd". There must be the semblance of a decent sharp image to start the process!
Comments on other advice so far-
a] Don't ever use P (programme) or A (auto) on flying subjects. You have no time to review the results & the opportunity to get 'that' shot again!
b]AV Aperture priority. For Jets & fast-movers, even parachutists, set the aperture to 'sweet spot' of lens (sharpest according to testers comments), which is usually f8 +/- & take the highest shutter-speed it gives you. Be looking for minimum 1/1000. I personally would manually raise the ISO to achieve that, rather than use a non-professional lens at maximum aperture (f4?)
c]TV Shutter Priority. Set shutter speed; 1/250 for slow prop/rotor aircraft. Set 1/400 for high-speed props. Manually set 125 ISO for fine sunny weather. Up to 400 ISO if overcast. DON'T use auto ISO. Allow ISO & desired shutter-speed dictate the aperture, Could be up to f18 (great!). Monitor aperture to have minimum f5.6-f8. Light or dark images can be post-processed to adjust brightness, PP. doesn't make a blurry shot sharp!
d] I'm not familiar with your set-up, but your equipment should yield acceptable results with ease. You will be short of reach on fast jets once airborne, but a 'sharp' image can be cropped-in!
e} DON'T forget to swop between AV & TV mode for the next item! We all do sometimes & it's Bl**dy annoying. :grr:
Hope that helps. Stand well back from a road (50+ metres?) with fast-moving traffic to replicate air-show speed/distance, preferably with the sun on the side you see & use the above info' to hone your experience & panning skills. Shoot until your sick, that'll help you at this late stage. Good Luck :thumb:

Bnnunn1

Post by Bnnunn1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 pm

Thank you so much 633 Squadron and Herc15 for your help much appreciated. this was my first chance to practice on aircraft. here's a few of my results

ImageDSC_0285 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0176 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0119 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0042 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0114 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

Any comments welcome
:thumbs:

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:37 pm

Great start...love the Typhoon & Atlantic, Keep going!
Could try a slower shutter speed for the props to give a bit more blurr...
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

Bnnunn1

Post by Bnnunn1 » Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:07 pm

Ok thank you very much. Will try that sunday when im back at RIAT.👍

Supra

Post by Supra » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:17 pm

Okay! Your fast-movers are fine. Please re-read my paragraph (c) above to master 'Props & Rotors' which are 60% of your posted shots. Good Luck. Brilliant start!

herc15

Post by herc15 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Bnnunn1 wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:01 pm
Thank you so much 633 Squadron and Herc15 for your help much appreciated. this was my first chance to practice on aircraft. here's a few of my results

ImageDSC_0285 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0176 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0119 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0042 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

ImageDSC_0114 by Ben Nunn, on Flickr

Any comments welcome
:thumbs:

No worries mate, any time, good to be able to help someone out. looks like you have some real crackers there, well done!

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”