Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Camera recommendations

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Yunglee

Re: Camera recommendations

Post by Yunglee » Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:15 pm

Without hesitation I would go for the Nikon 55-300mm VR for the following reasons:

It's sharp and importantly sharp at 300mm. It's not like a prime lens, but it's much sharper then the 70-300mm VR (the one you linked to which is the one that is a few years old). I've had two 70-300mm's and both were sold due to softness at 300mm. The 55-300mm is still with me (actually my son) but I won't sell it.

It's cheap and very light weight

The 55mm at the wide angle make it more useful than the 70-300mm

We'll read lots of comments about how slow the 55-300mm autofocus is. All I can say is in the real world it's actual good and I haven't missed a shot due to autofocus problems.

If you search my Flickr page (www.flickr.com/photos/leeadc) for Nikon 55-300 you'll find some examples of aviation shots with the lens and I'd go with real world examples

For what it's worth you can probably tell I'm a fan of this lens. I think it's massively underrated, it has it's weaknesses but they are manageable, for example it has a plastic lens mount well all that really means is don't use your camera for a hammer holding the lens! It's not weather sealed, so don't try and shoot in the middle of a rain storm but in any case your D3400 isn't weather sealed either.

Hope that helps, Lee.

Edit: Here's my Flickr photos with the Nikon 55-300mm

https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort=dat ... view_all=1

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”