Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Camera Strap...Recommendations?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
James Cutting

Camera Strap...Recommendations?

Post by James Cutting » Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:44 pm

Afternoon all,

Been doing some window shopping for a camera strap for my 80D and 100-400mm, what with the airshow season kicking off soon I don't want to have any accidents!! :Oops: (luckily not yet)

I know a lot of my mates have a Black Rapid brand strap, but just wanted some more opinions. This is the one I have seen and has got very good reviews: https://www.wexphotovideo.com/black-rap ... e-1607252/

Thanks in advance :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Nighthawke

Re: Camera Strap...Recommendations?

Post by Nighthawke » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:01 pm

James - if you put "Black Rapid" in the search box of the index page there are a couple of pages of posts where these have been discussed. May help you while you wait for replies to your post. Have often considered one but never got round to fully reviewing the options.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:09 pm

Nighthawke wrote:James - if you put "Black Rapid" in the search box of the index page there are a couple of pages of posts where these have been discussed. May help you while you wait for replies to your post. Have often considered one but never got round to fully reviewing the options.
Thank you Nighthawke, I will take a browse :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

slogen51

Post by slogen51 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:10 pm

I use the orange black rapid shot breathe - it was a present

It's really handy as I connect it to the heavy lens tripod mount so the camera lens mount doesn't have unnecessary stress and the camera rests by my hip when not in use

The only slight drawback is that the strap is necessarily quite long.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Apr 12, 2018 2:16 pm

slogen51 wrote:I use the orange black rapid shot breathe - it was a present

It's really handy as I connect it to the heavy lens tripod mount so the camera lens mount doesn't have unnecessary stress and the camera rests by my hip when not in use

The only slight drawback is that the strap is necessarily quite long.
Thanks for the recommendation mate, appreciate it. Does look good, actually - bright colour! :Wow:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:11 pm

You could get one of those special ones mate that Nick has :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: - you know the ones which allow your camera to make a loud bang noise when it hits the concrete (sorry Nick I could not resist!)

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:07 pm

Knife 04 wrote:You could get one of those special ones mate that Nick has :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: - you know the ones which allow your camera to make a loud bang noise when it hits the concrete (sorry Nick I could not resist!)
Hahaha, I'd rather mine made a quiet noise :whistle:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:45 pm

I have a black rapid one for my 120-400 Sigma; I hang it off the lens (tripod collar) rather than the camera.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 13, 2018 7:18 am

iainpeden wrote:I have a black rapid one for my 120-400 Sigma; I hang it off the lens (tripod collar) rather than the camera.
Thanks, and what do you think of the strap itself?
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

iainpeden

Post by iainpeden » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:07 am

Well made with secure fittings and adustable if a little expensive. Once you have bought it you wont need another.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:27 am

iainpeden wrote:Well made with secure fittings and adustable if a little expensive. Once you have bought it you wont need another.
Thank you mate! :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

jaydean

Post by jaydean » Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:46 pm

I'm a Black Rapid user, but i know people who like others like Peak Design which is quite popular, also Joby

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:57 am

Knife 04 wrote:You could get one of those special ones mate that Nick has :whistle: :whistle: :whistle: - you know the ones which allow your camera to make a loud bang noise when it hits the concrete (sorry Nick I could not resist!)

:whistle: It bounced Daz and it’s a testament to Canon that there was no damage to the camera.

Looking at one of the GR’s Black Rapid slings last week it has the same potential as mine to fail. The clip which attaches via the screw thread to the camera has a mushroom head that passes through slot in the metal slide on the web material sling. After many uses the mushroom head wears and that falls through. I checked my other slings and at least one had the same wear. It’s possible to tighten the slot in a vice but that might fatigue the material.

My experience is that it is likely after a long period of use that any of these style of couplings hab]ve the potential to fail.

I am trying out the Imorden Falcon F2 now.

My experience tells me now to check the strap regularly for wear.

James, Rich’s strap looked good?
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

XWP29

Post by XWP29 » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:01 am

XWP29 wrote:

:whistle: It bounced Daz and it’s a testament to Canon that there was no damage to the camera.

Looking at one of the GR’s Black Rapid slings last week it has the same potential as mine to fail. The clip which attaches via the screw thread to the camera has a mushroom head that passes through the slot in the metal slide on the web material sling. After many uses the mushroom head wears and that falls through. I checked my other slings and at least one had the same wear. It’s possible to tighten the slot in a vice but that might fatigue the material.

My experience is that it is likely after a (long)period of use that any of these style of couplings have the potential to fail.

I am trying out the Imorden Falcon F2 now.

My experience :'( tells me to check the strap regularly for wear.

James, Rich’s strap looked good?
GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:15 am

Been using a Peak Design strap for the last 9 months, expensive but I would not go back to anything else now....
Like the adjustable length, so you can have the camera at chest level or on your hip when using a long lens plus the ability to quickly remove the strap when using a tripod.
The Anchor Link quick-connectors are colour coded, they turn yellow then red when frayed to avoid 'incidents'.......
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:19 am

I use an neoprene strap made by Optech USA. Helps to ease the load of the 1DX and 100=400mm lens.
Strap can be detached when tripod mounting to save wind vibration.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:05 pm

xkekeith wrote:Been using a Peak Design strap for the last 9 months, expensive but I would not go back to anything else now....
Like the adjustable length, so you can have the camera at chest level or on your hip when using a long lens plus the ability to quickly remove the strap when using a tripod.
The Anchor Link quick-connectors are colour coded, they turn yellow then red when frayed to avoid 'incidents'.......
That sounds good! Do you have a link for me please? :thumb:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:06 pm

Wallace wrote:I use an neoprene strap made by Optech USA. Helps to ease the load of the 1DX and 100=400mm lens.
Strap can be detached when tripod mounting to save wind vibration.
Thanks I will take a look
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:56 pm

Canon EOS RP & 7D II

pb643

Post by pb643 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:35 am

xkekeith wrote:Been using a Peak Design strap for the last 9 months, expensive but I would not go back to anything else now....
I also use a Peak design. There are a lot of things I like about it, such as the connectors, adjustable length, build quality and security. However I am not convinced that I am as comfortable with it, as other people appear to be with other types of shoulder slings. I feel it should have a shoulder pad of some sort, rather than just strap. I probably don't help this by almost always using it with a rucksack on. I do spend my whole time walking around checking the tripod mount attaching the strap to the lens mount.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”