Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Aircraft Night Shoot Advice

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
tornado17

Aircraft Night Shoot Advice

Post by tornado17 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:16 pm

I'm attending 2 night shoots for the first time and would like advice on camera settings, what ISO settings are best, is bulb mode any good etc etc. I have a Canon 80D with a 18-135 mm lens. Any assistance is very much appreciated.

POL

Re: Aircraft Night Shoot Advice

Post by POL » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:26 pm

Any of ours? If so, grab one of us a yellow and blue high vis and we'll see you right :thumb:

Off the top of my head though, this is what I do (well, did before I started running them!)...
  • Bring a high vis jacket/coat/something!
  • Bring a tripod
  • Bring a remote shutter release, or know how to put your camera in self timer mode
  • Turn IS on your lens off
  • Set your ISO as low as possible
  • Set your camera to aperture priority and f/8
  • Take photos!

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:50 pm

Both of yours! Thanks for the advice and I'll be in contact on the night for any other assistance I may need.

Scudpilot

Post by Scudpilot » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:45 pm

I'm also popping my nightshoot cherry next week :)
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:05 pm

Hi there,

I went to my first nightshoot last year at Marham, and will be going to Northolt nightshoot. (Tripod essential)

I also have the 80D and used the exact same lens as you will be using (never used 'Bulb mode' before).

Because of its WiFi capabilities, I used the Canon App for iPhone to connect to the camera and controlled the camera from there (you can change the settings, control the shutter etc).

I believe that I shot in Manual mode and chose what settings I had. (F/9.0 aperture, 100 ISO, 10" shutter speed - which is 10 seconds) and for more of a starburst effect with the lights, I went for a bigger aperture (F/14.0, 4" shutter and ISO 640).

I want to try and get less starbursts this time so will be trying different settings (i.e. aperture priority - like EGVP says) but, with Manual, you have control over ALL settings.

I'm not trying to brag, or anything, but check my Flickr album from the Marham Enthusiast's event. It shows all my shots from lighter skies to the dark skies. It also details the settings I shot in.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@ ... 4287816005

Take a look over and let me know what you think. I hope this helps you nonetheless :) - always good to get many different views as it helps us progress :thumb:

Cheers,

James
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:33 pm

First of all do not wait to be told what to do, just get out in the dark and photograph anything, experiment and learn from your mistakes.

The best bit of advice that I can give is learn the exposure triangle and you have to be able to make exposure changes on the fly, remembering that as one setting doubles the other halves and that shutter speed, aperture and ISO can all be changed to maximum effect.

Buy the best tripod that you can afford. You really do get what you pay for and buying cheep is not a good idea.
A cable release is a good idea as is a humble lump of Blu-Tak to play over the eye piece of your camera does not have an internal shutter (Mirrorless cameras excepted.) Stops light getting in through the back of your camera when the mirror is locked up on a long exposure.
Oh and check that vibration/stabilisation is OFF on your lens and remember to switch it back on at the end of the shoot! Been there and ruined a good number of pictures that way.

A torch is good but being able to operate your camera by feel alone will pay dividends. Head torches are a good idea but they destroy your night vision. I heavily shield my torch with my fingers when checking the settings on the back of the camera (there's an exposure time readout on the top of my camera.)

Depending on what you photograph, then depth of field isn't so important in the dark, you can get away with shooting wider, with a reduction in shutter speed but it depends on what you want to do.

Practice, practice, practice

I shot these last night, the EXIF info is available on Flickr if you are interested
ImageCessna 152 light trail, Scone by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
ImageG-BHAI Cessna 152, Scone by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
ImageG-PDGI Squirrel, Scone by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr
ImageClimb out, Scone by Wallace Shackleton, on Flickr

Sorry they are not military aircraft, I'd love to do that sort of thing with military aircraft but it's not an option where I live.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Thu Mar 08, 2018 2:03 pm

Tornado17, this is the tripod I picked up last year, at this same deal price. Great tripod to start off with, and it was what I could afford at that time.

Been great for me, nice and sturdy and easily adjustable.

https://www.jessops.com/p/manfrotto/com ... lack-93359
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:03 pm

Thanks for the advice gents, it was very much appreciated. I had a good night tonight and like what I see on my camera. Once downloaded, I'm hopeful of some decent shots. Lessons learnt will be used at next Thursday's shoot! Once again, many thanks.

Thanks to the organisers for such a good event, well worth every penny, looking forward to next weeks and more in the future!

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Mar 09, 2018 8:57 am

tornado17 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents, it was very much appreciated. I had a good night tonight and like what I see on my camera. Once downloaded, I'm hopeful of some decent shots. Lessons learnt will be used at next Thursday's shoot! Once again, many thanks.

Thanks to the organisers for such a good event, well worth every penny, looking forward to next weeks and more in the future!
That's the main thing mate - that you enjoy yourself, and YOU like what you shot :) May I ask, what shoot did you do last night and next Thursday? :D
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

POL

Post by POL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:44 am

Cosford last night, Yeovilton next Thursday.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:35 pm

Quick question, why turn IS off?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

POL

Post by POL » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:41 pm

Photos go blurry with it on, IS 'fights' the fact you're on a tripod and goes funny - probably has a technical term!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:44 pm

Apparently some later Canon lenses did had Tripod Detection which meant you (supposedly) could leave IS turned on. However looking at a couple of web discussions it wasn't to be trusted. Seems the best thing is to follow the above advice - hand-held IS on, tripod IS off.

Like your praseology Chris :lol: Yes basically if the lens cannot detect movement it will try to induce some into the image.

Never had this issue with my old Praktica MTL3 and third-party lenses :lol:

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Fri Mar 09, 2018 3:37 pm

I’ve got a series one Canon 24-105 and left IS on when I went into the hangar at Cosford last night, had to reshoot the first two shots...... it’s an easy mistake to make and not always obvious on the camera screen. Another thing to remember on these afternoon into evening events. You quite often want to use IS in late afternoon light on a relatively slow speed.
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

Scudpilot

Post by Scudpilot » Fri Mar 09, 2018 4:43 pm

xkekeith wrote:I’ve got a series one Canon 24-105 and left IS on when I went into the hangar at Cosford last night, had to reshoot the first two shots...... it’s an easy mistake to make and not always obvious on the camera screen. Another thing to remember on these afternoon into evening events. You quite often want to use IS in late afternoon light on a relatively slow speed.
So what is the effect of leaving it on? The opposite of the desired effect presumably?
I only ask as I am doing my first shoot next week and want to hoover up any advice I can!
Nikon D7000, Nikon 200-500
http://www.flickr.com/jimpritchard67

xkekeith

Post by xkekeith » Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:11 pm

On some Canon lenses the IS can cause movement on a long exposure, in theory it should know it’s on a tripod and not activate but mine and others experience is that this does not always operate as designed. Photos effected will show a small amount of ‘shake’ on the image. Golden rule always check your images whilst you got the opportunity to take another one...
Canon EOS RP & 7D II

tornado17

Post by tornado17 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:17 pm

James Cutting wrote:
tornado17 wrote:Thanks for the advice gents, it was very much appreciated. I had a good night tonight and like what I see on my camera. Once downloaded, I'm hopeful of some decent shots. Lessons learnt will be used at next Thursday's shoot! Once again, many thanks.

That's the main thing mate - that you enjoy yourself, and YOU like what you shot :) May I ask, what shoot did you do last night and next Thursday? :D
As EGVP said, Cosford and Yeovilton. Hoping for a Sea Harrier to be outside in the lights next week!!
xkekeith wrote:Golden rule always check your images whilst you got the opportunity to take another one...
That is good advice, I did have a couple of blurries but retook the shot. The wonders of digital and not having the disappointment of getting blurred photos back!!

Nighthawke

Post by Nighthawke » Fri Mar 09, 2018 11:14 pm

Scudpilot wrote:So what is the effect of leaving it on?
As explained in my post above!

johnblackman

Post by johnblackman » Wed May 23, 2018 7:13 am

I came to this topic a little late. It surprised me that no one suggested that the questioner might try shooting in RAW (alongside JPEG if so desired). If ever you needed the extra control over highlights and shadows that RAW offers it is shooting a night. In my opinion at least; I gather from a thread elsewhere that RAW isn't for everyone.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”