Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Which lens?

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
profile_m

Which lens?

Post by profile_m » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:59 pm

Hi All

I currently have a Nikon D500 and am looking for a lens to upgrade from my recently sold 200-500.

I’m looking around the £2000 mark and for that I’m thinking either a second hand 200-400 f4 VR1 or a 300 f2.8 VR1 and maybe a tc to go with it for the extra reach. What are peoples thoughts and experience of these lenses?

I’m swaying towards the zoom for the flexibility but still undecided. Any help and advice greatfully recieved.

Cheers

Martyn
Its time to kick the tyres and light the fires!

Member of the Cotswold Airshow Events Team

jaydean

Re: Which lens?

Post by jaydean » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:47 pm

I'm probably not going to say anything you don't know here. I don't own the lenses you mention, but I have a Nikon 500mm f4 (VRI) and for a while also had a Sigma 150-600mm Sport. There's not a massive difference between the Nikon 200-500 and Siggy 150-600 performance-wise, so i'll give my very quick take on the comparison of what i had.
I got the Siggy as i did bemoan the fact i lose a lot of shots through not having the flexibility of a zoom. Whilst the IQ on the Siggy was very good compared to the Nikon, and much easier to hand-hold, its the AF that's the noticeable difference. It locks almost instantaneously whilst i found the Siggy to be a bit asthmatic compared. I did sell it in the end, mainly as i needed some quick cash and one lens had to go.
Tbh, this new(ish) breed of long zoom lenses from Sigma and Nikon are good lenses and great value for money compared to the exotic Nikons. Its just a case of is it worth a few thousand ££'s more for faster AF, slightly better IQ and a stop or two of light, but a loss of shots when the a/c gets close? There's always a trade off in the camera world and to each to his own.

profile_m

Re: Which lens?

Post by profile_m » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:10 pm

Indeed. I have taken the plunge with a 200-400 f4 VR1 and so far I'm happy with it. It's a beast to swing around but nothing too bad. I'm yet to shoot any aviation with it so time will tell if it's been worth the outlay
Its time to kick the tyres and light the fires!

Member of the Cotswold Airshow Events Team

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”