Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Windows 10 Update

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Knife 04

Windows 10 Update

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Evening chaps

Wondered if anybody had any help following the extremely helpful Window 10 update have some issues which are bugging the hell out of me

The scroll buttons on photo viewer do not work for some folders - initially they did not work for any but now work in some folders only

Loaded up Elements 9 this evening (works for me) and there were no options in the menus - completely blank. Went on line and found a fix by setting the display settings down to 100% and rebooting. Reset seetings to 150% so I can see them on my screen and although the menus / text in elements now appear they are massively oversized and little room for photo (whereas the rest of the settings in Windows are back to normal on this size screen)

Anybody else experience the same?

Thanks

Darren

Cornish-guy

Re: Windows 10 Update

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:21 pm

That plus other reasons is why I wont update to Win 10, im quite happy with win 7 pro and auto updates turned off, dont need microsoft bugs in my sytstem.

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

BMrider

Post by BMrider » Fri Oct 06, 2017 5:02 am

Me too, Tried Windows 10, but so many issues created with older software that returned to windows 7 pro
http://www.flickr.com/photos/65081372@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:00 am

Hello mate,

Typically, the above 2 comments are of the least help possible...I thought you asked for help not opinions :pop: :pop:

You may need to do another check for Windows updates to see if there are any more, if not, you can usually uninstall updates: Windows Updates (in settings) > Update History (under check for updates) > Uninstall Updates. Within here, you can uninstall any updates that might cause issues. Anything else give me a shout.
Cornish-guy wrote:That plus other reasons is why I wont update to Win 10, im quite happy with win 7 pro and auto updates turned off, dont need microsoft bugs in my sytstem.

That's quite ironic really Cornish, because not running updates is probably the worst thing to do...it opens up your machine to more bugs, security problems, and virus. And you're more likely to get bugs this way. But don't say I told you so :whistle: :whistle:
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/99536938@N06/

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:07 am

No help to the OP but I've still not had a problem running Windows 10 both on my Hewlett Packard PC and Dell lap top. One thing I did check first was that the hardware, processor/RAM etc, was capable of handling the software which it was.

Brian

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:20 am

Cheers James - will give it a go later when I finish work and let you know

The same Brian - no real issues with Windows 10 before and once I got used to it it did not bother me

Always the same though - something goes wrong and then it is the worst thing in the world

Cheers

Darren

Thunder

Post by Thunder » Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:23 am

Windows10 did an auto update on my laptop last weekend and totally screwed up all my picture files. All picture files on the HDD were deleted, not into the recycle bin but gone all together, leaving only the files uploaded to OneDrive, however OD de-edited them all(how is that possible????) and sorted them into different folders, it was a total mess. Thankfully since it's a new laptop there isn't much on it and I think all picture files were saved after many hours of shifting files around. OneDrive is now disabled and I'll be buying a SSD in the next couple of weeks to start backing up photos.

Just checked Windows Photo viewer and it's working fine.

I hate Windows10, it wants to run your life, give me back XP anyday :@

PR9

Post by PR9 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:09 am

With regards 10, I have a bizarre issue where if I select Windows - Shut down, the PC will restart.

It sometimes does this twice then shuts down on the 3rd attempt! Anyone else have this? Have disabled all the quick boot etc in power options but no luck. :grr:
MISSING - x1 Air Force.
If found please return to the UK.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:39 am

It appears I have opened a can of worms here. Reading some info I found by googling the issues I have it appears this could happen with any update - not just the most recent one!
Thunder wrote:Windows10 did an auto update on my laptop last weekend and totally screwed up all my picture files. All picture files on the HDD were deleted, not into the recycle bin but gone all together, leaving only the files uploaded to OneDrive, however OD de-edited them all(how is that possible????) and sorted them into different folders, it was a total mess. Thankfully since it's a new laptop there isn't much on it and I think all picture files were saved after many hours of shifting files around. OneDrive is now disabled and I'll be buying a SSD in the next couple of weeks to start backing up photos.

Just checked Windows Photo viewer and it's working fine.

I hate Windows10, it wants to run your life, give me back XP anyday :@
Thunder - have a search on Google as there maybe a solution to your issue. I have just had a quick surf and it suggests there are hidden files which may have the photos in them. Wont post a link as there are several out there and dont want to point you to a wrong one

Darren

Malcolm

Post by Malcolm » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:03 pm

PR9 wrote:With regards 10, I have a bizarre issue where if I select Windows - Shut down, the PC will restart.

It sometimes does this twice then shuts down on the 3rd attempt! Anyone else have this? Have disabled all the quick boot etc in power options but no luck. :grr:
It's probably because some of the auto-updates require a re-boot. It doesn't force you to do a re-boot whilst you're using the computer, and defers it till you shutdown. So when you try to shutdown it shuts down, re-boots, finishes the update install and then shuts down again. Not seen one do it twice but it could be that one of the updates requires a reboot itself.

If you only connect to the interweb via WiFi you can usually stop automatic updates on Win10 by declaring your WiFi as a metered service - at least in Win10 Pro. Wheter you think disabling updates is a good idea or not is your decision.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:36 pm

Knife 04 wrote:Evening chaps

Wondered if anybody had any help following the extremely helpful Window 10 update have some issues which are bugging the hell out of me

The scroll buttons on photo viewer do not work for some folders - initially they did not work for any but now work in some folders only

Loaded up Elements 9 this evening (works for me) and there were no options in the menus - completely blank. Went on line and found a fix by setting the display settings down to 100% and rebooting. Reset seetings to 150% so I can see them on my screen and although the menus / text in elements now appear they are massively oversized and little room for photo (whereas the rest of the settings in Windows are back to normal on this size screen)

Thanks

Darren
Hiya mate,

Sorry for my reply I have never used windows 10 so I cant be of much help, it does seem a real hassle for you having to do all that, wonder how Lightroom functions through it.
Wonce again sorry for my remark about windows 10 vs 7.

kind regards

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:52 pm

[quote="James Cutting"]

James I have a clean system and have three forms of bug protection A fire wall (set quite high), anti malware, and a good cleaner, I do not allow tracking cookies and do not open files I do not know.

I used to have my system set up to auto updates, but I was forever getting problems even some similar photo viewer problems, one occasion I was unable to find my windows picture viewer files, it wasn't till I had deleted a certain amount of windows updates, and set them to update - never, only then did my system return to normal.

I just think sometimes the updates can upset your os system.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:20 pm

Cornish-guy wrote:
James Cutting wrote:

James I have a clean system and have three forms of bug protection A fire wall (set quite high), anti malware, and a good cleaner, I do not allow tracking cookies and do not open files I do not know.

I used to have my system set up to auto updates, but I was forever getting problems even some similar photo viewer problems, one occasion I was unable to find my windows picture viewer files, it wasn't till I had deleted a certain amount of windows updates, and set them to update - never, only then did my system return to normal.

I just think sometimes the updates can upset your os system.

Even with the highest possible settings, things can still happen - working in the IT Industry, trust me, I've seen enough trojans and viruses wanting BitCoin payments! But, for a standard home user, not the worst setup.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:22 pm

Knife 04 wrote:Evening chaps

Thanks

Darren
Found this on the net - https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2303426

Not sure if it helps.

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:44 pm

Frankly the use of any Windows based PC connected to the internet where Windows isn't patched up to date is idiocy.

Remember the problems the NHS had with ransomware a few weeks ago?

What staggers me even more is that people use Windows PCs that aren't patched up to do online banking etc., then wonder why they get ripped off!

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:45 pm

Knife_04 - When you talk about Windows update, are you just talking Windows update or are you also signed upto the "Insider" beta program?

Recent windows updates have been trying to make Windows 10 work better with 4k screens etc, which is why some options relating to screen scaling have become messed up.

October 17th sees the start of rolling out the next major Windows 10 update - the Fall Creators Update.

This changes quite a few things and especially tried to help users of hi-resolution screens.

I know that updates can bring issues - the best plan is not to do an update until it has been out for a day or so to ensure that it doesn't cause any serious issues. They test the updates as much as they can but the infinite number of PC configurations out there means there might be some kind of issue - but they do try to avoid it.

Either way though - not updating really isn't a good idea.
Last edited by ChrisCwmbran on Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

James Cutting

Post by James Cutting » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:49 pm

ChrisCwmbran wrote:Frankly the use of any Windows based PC connected to the internet where Windows isn't patched up to date is idiocy.

Remember the problems the NHS had with ransomware a few weeks ago?

What staggers me even more is that people use Windows PCs that aren't patched up to do online banking etc., then wonder why they get ripped off!
Exactly my point!!!

You can have a fantastic firewall and antivirus but that means sh*t when you haven't got updates run to protect your security.
"Grim Reapers Supporter"

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:52 pm

And yes some older software can be a problem - if necessary though if you really want to run them under Windows 7 I'd suggest installing Windows 10, and running Windows 7 in a virtual machine.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Yes - Chris - this is the standard Windows update - coincidently it is doing another right now as we speak (have 2 machines running - luckily this one runs on XP still so no issues - well I hope not) - this may fix issues well here is praying.

Sorry Chris - I have no idea on the 'insider' beta program?

In my initial post I thought I had the menus for photoshop back - turned on again about 1/2 hour ago and gone again!

Will let you know how this update fairs in a while - if you see a PC going into orbit later then you know not well!

Cheers for the recommendations / help chaps

Darren

ChrisCwmbran

Post by ChrisCwmbran » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:21 pm

Darren -

https://forums.adobe.com/thread/2345394

Have a read through that thread. The problem with Elements is common and following research it seems people have found it is to do with a short cut being used to register fonts.

There is a work round for it in thread. Depending on how technical and confident you feel will determine if you feel like trying it.

It seems where the short cut was used to install the fonts the same issue will recur after each update until a permanent fix is found.

Hope this helps!

Chris.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”