Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Windows 10 Update

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Knife 04

Re: Windows 10 Update

Post by Knife 04 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:48 pm

Cheers Chris - will read in a moment

OK - it did the update and rebooted. Received the message 'Personlised Settings not responding' = another issue. However this disappears after about 20 seconds

Apps slow to open initially but did open and guess what - all menus in elements back to normal! Scrolling through pictures happy as larry!

Decided to reboot as not overly keen on the personalised settings issue - no message this time but - yes you guessed back to square one with the elements menus not appearing

Now on another update - all I wanted to do was process a couple of pictures! :@ :@ :@

Will take a gander in a while Chris but not that confident in messing with the settings

All the best, thanks again and will keep you posted

Darren

Edit 18.29L - Elements appears to be working again now - I will reboot again just to see

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:18 am

Sorry I couldn't help more Darren :blush:

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

sneezy24

Post by sneezy24 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:20 am

The latest Win10 update killed my second monitor. I could set it to primary and it worked, and I could 'copy' desktop to both monitors, but couldn't 'extend' the desktop to both.

I was running a graphics card that was not supported under Win10 (or Win 8 for that matter). Put a new card in (Win10 supported) and all was good.

Upside is that Flight Sim works much better (and I thought I was CPU constrained!)
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 70-300 USM II
Canon 18-135 USM
Uniden 125XLT
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:55 am

Knife 04 wrote:
Edit 18.29L - Elements appears to be working again now - I will reboot again just to see
No joy I am afraid - did some more reading yesterday and replaced the fonts as this appears to be the issue - worked initially - rebooted and back to the same issue - blank menus

Out of ideas now - if anybody has the same issue and finds a solution then please let me know

Cheers and thanks to all who tried to help

Darren

hayzi

Post by hayzi » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:10 pm

Hi Darren
Just a thought . Check the compatibility of Elements 9 to run on Windows 10 . Right click Elements shortcut icon , select properties then compatibility tab . Try setting to a previous version of windows Elements was ok on e.g Windows 7 or try the troubleshooter .

Rich
Last edited by hayzi on Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Sun Oct 08, 2017 3:01 pm

Thanks Rich - will check this out a little later or tomorrow and let you know - neighbours coming round for supper and I am in the cooking seat!

Cheers Rich

Darren

awacsfan

Post by awacsfan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:59 am

Not sure if it may help but I also had issues with Elements (okay, it was Version 7 or 8).. however after the initial upgrade to Windows 10 everything worked fine till about 3 months or so ago after another of those Windows updates... couldn't get Elements to work at all... nothing helped... I deleted it, cleared the cache, deleted the cookies, rebooted, installed it again.. nothing worked nothing helped.
In a German forum I found a hint that with one of the recent updates of Windows 10 Microsoft changed some programme code which effectively killed older programms to run on Win 10. I installed a trial version of the most current Elements but couldn't tweak it the way I wanted, particular to scan images... finally Ideleted the trail version.
For scanning I now use the Miscrosoft supplied tool that comes with WIN 10 and then use FastStone Image viewer for some limited editing... works for me.

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:57 pm

I have an HP notebook and the latest Win10 update totally screwed it up, the Black screen of death is how to describe it. The problem is a conflict between Windows and the HP operating environment

It is away to get a clean install and hopefully remove all traces of HP and get back to a normal operating environment.
HP support was as good as a chocolate tea pot, never again.

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond on this one - sorry to say nothing worked. A lot of reading on the net showed that this was quite a common issue with some users experiencing 6 months ago with no permanent fix being available - everybody was waiting for the next big Windows Update on 17th October

Downloaded the update on Friday and touch wood all back and working even after several re-boots and turning the machine off overnight etc

Fingers crossed all fixed on a permanent basis - thanks again

Darren

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”