Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Like Button.

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Cornish-guy

Like Button.

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:00 pm

They should create a "Like Button" for those on here who can not be bothered, to take a few moments to comment on peoples hard work with their photographic posts.

It would make it easier to quickly show a small amount of appreciation. :thumbs:

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

garyscott
Location: DONT trust Atoms . . . . they make up everything . .

Re: Like Button.

Post by garyscott » Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:28 am

Does not the view count show interest? Sometimes we only have time for a quick look around at some posts, if we had to reply to everything we view, if those times we only have a few minutes spare, then less posts would be viewed?
Don't get me wrong, great images deserve the adulation, but sometimes some people only want to steal a quick fix, maybe in a quick break during a busy day.

Morseman

Post by Morseman » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:28 am

I must agree with Garyscott on this. Just read this thread and already 45 views and yes some images deserve adulation as you say. I could have just left but decided to put in my five penny worth.

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:13 am

A few months ago I spent over 8 hours in a hide, which I had built after extensive research. I got my photographs, I posted one on this site, got one comment, and 498 views. Does it bother me that only one comment, not in the slightest, I`m pleased with all the views. The gratification came from getting that shot that I wanted.

I have had exhibitions of my work and if I had been paid a quid for everyone who said "thats a nice picture" I would be reasonably well off, Lots of people looked but few bought. The comments book had about 50 comments after a month

There was a guy on here the other day who posted "in my opinion" some great shots of a sparrowhawk, I commented because I thought they merited a comment.

The point I`m making do we post here to show others or are we seeking gratification. I will comment if I see a shot that has something in it, not just endless repetitions of planes landing. A good shot that merits comment should tell a story, invoke imagination, have a wow factor, and be properly exposed etc

I look on this site every day, if I see something that merits a comment then I will comment,
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

bizfreeq

Post by bizfreeq » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I occasionally post photos on here and to be honest I don't do it for the comments or the critique, I do it to share what I've seen with everyone here and I am more than happy that people have just taken the time to have a look. If they feel like commenting then that is more than welcome but is far from the be all and end all and doesn't affect whether I will post again. In this day and age you may have a bit of time to look at a large number of posts but typing the same "well done, great pics, thanks for posting" rhetoric for every one you look at is not only very time consuming, will, rightly or wrongly, become a little less meaningful on each further re-typing.
I do think since the era of A-net and it's many clones, people have become far more obsessive with the comments box rather than the sharing and enjoying part. I have had photo sets on here with well in excess of 1000 views in just a few days, but only half a dozen comments but I am quite happy that all those people took time to look and doesn't bother me in the slightest that hardly anyone commented, I am equally grateful to both the viewers and commentees alike. I think we need to accept that not everyone has the time to comment and, if you do get just the one, or just get a few hits and no comments, take from it that at least there are people out there taking time out and looking at them and enjoying them (because if they weren't enjoying them, then human nature would be more likely to step in and they would tell you the photos weren't up to much....people are far more likely to comment negatively than positively unfortunately!)
As for the like button, I wouldn't use that either, and it has been bandied around on here before too and the consensus then was, as it probably will be again now, that the majority don't want it.
Cheers
Mark

If our airforces are never used, they have achieved their finest goal.
— General Nathan F. Twining

Amp

Post by Amp » Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:49 pm

"like"

- that didn't take too long....

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 2:48 am

The reason why I suggested a Like button folks is - I am always the "self critic" of my photos and am always unsure how my photos will appear to other folks, they could be too vibrant or too flat, or laking interest or not framed correctly.

This year was my first airshow using a digital camera, last one was with a canon af film camera, so things were far different then, I was looking for some photographic feedback from my photos, just so I could judge how they came across as sometimes we can get lossed in our own processing on our laptops, and things can look different from other peoples eyes.

Supra

Post by Supra » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:31 am

Mark (bizfreeq) has covered this topic perfectly. Each individual should be the greatest critic of their own pictures. There is a degree of quality-loss in posting sometimes, but c'mon? Is anybody really trying to say that those cracking, razor-sharp, jump-out shots posted on here were just lucky that Flkr didn't Flik 'em up? Unwritten rule for me should be...'only showcase your best images'
For me, 'shallow likes' would be almost as irritating as the disingenuous plaudits heaped on shots ranging from mediocre to downright awful! How the hell does unworthy praise help anyone improve their ability?
If somebody really wants too receive critique as a 'learner', then perhaps they would be better served by putting their efforts in 'General Photography' & requesting assistance?

rh226

Post by rh226 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:48 am

Supra wrote:Unwritten rule for me should be...'only showcase your best images'
......and if they really are your best images, they shouldn't need to be 'Shopped. To me, that is total and utter overkill :whistle:
Cheers, Bob

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:43 pm

rh226 wrote:
Supra wrote:Unwritten rule for me should be...'only showcase your best images'
......and if they really are your best images, they shouldn't need to be 'Shopped. To me, that is total and utter overkill :whistle:

Bob if by Shopped you mean editing in something like Lightroom? if you shoot in RAW like a lot of folk do, you will need to edit them as a RAW photographs are as I'm sure you know - bland and not at their best.

EF-111

Post by EF-111 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:58 pm

Cornish-guy wrote:The reason why I suggested a Like button folks is - I am always the "self critic" of my photos and am always unsure how my photos will appear to other folks, they could be too vibrant or too flat, or laking interest or not framed correctly.

This year was my first airshow using a digital camera, last one was with a canon af film camera, so things were far different then, I was looking for some photographic feedback from my photos, just so I could judge how they came across as sometimes we can get lossed in our own processing on our laptops, and things can look different from other peoples eyes.

Surely a "like" button wouldn't give you any real feedback on how your pictures look, and certainly wouldn't give any advice on how they may be improved.

Regards, Steve

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:43 pm

how about a 'not like' button too :halo: :whistle:
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

Skip

Post by Skip » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:57 pm

deerhunter wrote:A few months ago I spent over 8 hours in a hide, which I had built after extensive research. I got my photographs, I posted one on this site, got one comment, and 498 views. Does it bother me that only one comment, not in the slightest, I`m pleased with all the views. The gratification came from getting that shot that I wanted.
I spend a lot of time at Norwich Cathedral shooting the peregrines (in a photographic sense!) I can spend a lot of time there and I do it for my enjoyment as I'm sure you do Deerhunter, I do this because I love the peregrines and I love getting those killer shots. If no one likes what I do it doesn't matter one iota to me. I do it for myself and not for other people :thumbs: mind you my Norwich peregrines facebook page has got 1270 members ;)

The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

Knife 04

Post by Knife 04 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:14 pm

Cracking shot of the Peregrine Skip

Cheers

Darren

deerhunter

Post by deerhunter » Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:05 pm

Cracking shot skip.
Canon 5D Mk4 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

The Phantom

Post by The Phantom » Tue Aug 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Yes as peregrine shots go, that's a cracker :thumb:

Taxboy

Post by Taxboy » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:29 am

A bit late to this thread. How about if people added c&c to the title for comment and critique requested. The problem with a like button IMO is you are never quite certain if the "liker" is applauding the subject matter or your image or both.

With regard to the poster stating any image that has been shopped isn't your best. I thought that debate had moved on some time ago ? I thought that it was generally accepted that post processing forms a part of the whole digital imaging process.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”