Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Canon 100-400 IS Lens

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Sparky 119

Canon 100-400 IS Lens

Post by Sparky 119 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 2:14 pm

Has anyone ever had a problem with the tension ring losing grip, if a repair was carried out how much roughly did it cost. This is the ring which shows tight or smooth, mine has lost it's grip so unable to lock the lens in any position. Any advice or help appreciated.

Knife 04

Re: Canon 100-400 IS Lens

Post by Knife 04 » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:02 pm

Mk 1 I presume sparky? When I had mine I sent it off to Lehmans for a precautionary service, check of the lens grip ring and bearings as there was a lot of talk of issues at the time (I did not have any but thought best anyway). Also sent camera away with it for calibration to the lens and I think it was about £150 all in

Website here - no connection at all but thought they did a good job. Lens is still going strong - see James Cutting's pictures over on the photo section

http://www.hlehmann.co.uk/

Cheers

Darren

CookipediaChef

Post by CookipediaChef » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:54 am

http://www.cam-rep.co.uk/ [Shepperton, London]

I've used this guy for Canon camera body repairs and Canon IS lens repairs.
He did a great job and is very helpful. A fraction of the cost of sending to Canon.

If you are in London you can drop the gear off to him, he's under Heathrow's flight path so you can check your camera when you pick it up!

I have no connection to him, I was just impressed with his work and his honesty.
[He's not a plane spotter but he is a dedicated train spotter]
--Jerry

Sparky 119

Post by Sparky 119 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:35 am

Many thanks for advice and contacts for repairs, my lens is a Mk1 and apart from the issue with the tension ring it still performs well.

Sparky 119

Post by Sparky 119 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:59 pm

Eventually got round to getting my lens repaired and took it up to Alan in Shepperton who did a first class job, highly recommended and not overpriced, he also found that the Image Stabiliser wasn't working and quoted me for a replacement which I was prepared to pay for but on further inspection he found a very small solder joint had dried out which he fixed at no extra charge. :thumb: :thumb:

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”