Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

7DII settings

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Heal1979

7DII settings

Post by Heal1979 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:00 pm

Hello,

I've recently purchased a 7DII and was wondering what settings/customisation people use for aviation. I will be using it with 100-400 II and (from time to time) a 1.4ex III.

Interested to hear your thoughts and what you think works best. I haven't changed any settings out of the box so far.

Cheers,
Chris

captain scarlet

Re: 7DII settings

Post by captain scarlet » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:10 pm

Looks like nobody wants to help you Chris,

I hope to get a 7dII soon and would be interested in how people set theirs up.

Hope you find the answers. :thumb:
Richard

Captain Scarlet is indestructable, you are not! Remember this, do not try to imitate him.

Nick Thompson

Post by Nick Thompson » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:54 pm

Hi Chris,

Similarly I am looking to upgrade to the 7D Mark II from the original prior to the airshow season start.

In my research I found the following guide by Canon with recommended settings including shooting aircraft (Pg 50) http://downloads.canon.com/camera/broch ... 9-2014.pdf

I hope this helps,

Nick

mprl

Post by mprl » Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:30 pm

Hi,
These are the setting I use for shooting aviation, others might not agree with them but they seem to work for me. I always shoot in RAW so I don't do anything with white balance etc.
I use back button focusing as well, seems to make my hit rate better!

1. Usual Canon settings for moving objects: AI Servo and high speed continuous shooting (10fps).

2. I have set the three custom settings to the basic aviation settings I like to use for different subjects and conditions, such as ISO, shutter speed, F stop, exposure compensation. All are easily tweaked at the time to suit the conditions. I have one for jet aircraft in good light, and one for poor light and the third for prop aircraft.

3. For all three of the custom settings above I have further customised them by changing the following settings:
In the AF1 menu I use 'case 5' for erratic subjects moving quickly in any direction.
In the AF2 menu I have set AI Servo 1st & 2nd image priority to focus priority.
In the AF4 menu I have set to use the 9 centre focus points. these are easily moved around the view finder to suit the shots being taken buy using the buttons/wheel set to move them, I have found focus and tracking to be slightly slower if I set the larger focus area, the 9 points seems to be a good compromise between single point and wide area.

4. Finally I have changed some of the functions of the various buttons to suit my personal needs such as which button I use for back button focusing, you can find this function in the C.Fn3 Display/operation menu at the bottom.

Hope these are of some interest and help.
Cheers
Matt

Heal1979

Post by Heal1979 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:32 pm

Many thanks for your input chaps. Have gone through the manual and made a couple of tweaks.

Will try your setting out, Matt and see how it goes. A keen wildlife photographer of mine also gave some tips. I'll copy these to this thread soon as they may help someone else.

Cheers,
Chris

Heal1979

Post by Heal1979 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:52 pm

Some advice given from a wildlife photographer...

"My 7Dmk2 settings are AV standard picture settings & always on alservo high speed shutter, I shoot in RAW & process in lightroom. I normally have it in case 3 for the auto focus with the tracking sensitivity set to minus & ACEL/ DECEL tracking set to 1& AF PTauto switching set to 2.

I also have the initial AF point Alservo set to centre point. I also back button focusing on AF button for normal use & I have the AE lock button set for inflight EXP COMP set + 1 & 2 thirds, & all auto focus points for both buttons."

I hope this advice is of use to anyone using a 7DII. I'll definitely be giving it a try :)

Cheers,
Chris

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”