Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Camera Advise

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
bobthehandyman

Camera Advise

Post by bobthehandyman » Mon Mar 13, 2017 6:07 pm

Hi all.
What Camera was where I was going to start, but I can see lots of past posts covering this topic already...decided to get a decent camera and lens, not that I see many aircraft these days, but think id still like to give it a go. So was wondering, off to New York City in April, does anyone have experience in where's the best place to buy? UK? USA? or maybe duty free?

John flightpath

Re: Camera Advise

Post by John flightpath » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:35 pm

If buying in NYC you want 42nd street, which where most of the camera and gadget shops are. I have bought a lens out there in the past. However watch for getting stuffed on duty when re entering the Uk if Customs sus that you bought the camera in USA.
To be honest, with the exchange rates being unstable at the moment, you maybe just as well off buying in the UK. Would be wary of the Duty free route because they all seem to be charging what they like.

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Green133

Post by Green133 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:16 pm

I visited B&H Photo in New York last year. It's a big shop with loads of departments selling all sorts of equipment and gadgets.It's located at 420 Ninth Avenue on the corner of West 34th Street in Manhattan.
But as John says below the exchange rate is rubbish at the moment and you might be liable for import taxes. Regarding duty free, if the shop at the UK airport is a Dixons check Curry's website for the camera you want(if they stock it) and compare the prices. I've found that you can save a little on say a camera or lens but usually they do a bundle of bits or accessories, that will be cheap and that might make it worthwhile.
Also as Dixons and Curry's are the same, if you see something that on the web but not stocked in store they should be able to get it for you at tax free prices.

Green133

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:37 pm

My Advice would be to Buy in the UK, far less issues if you get a problem even if purchasing a grey import.
Loads of great deals out there with the likes of HDEW but also a fair number of offers with UK retailers.
If you know what you want the internet is your friend, also if you know what you want don't discount outlets like John Lewis as they offer decent warranty as part of the price & will price match locally to boot.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”