Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Canon EOS 80D vs 7D Mark II

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.

Canon EOS 80D vs 7D Mark II

Postby Taxboy » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:26 pm

I'm just wondering if anyone else deliberated over these two and which one you ended up with and why please.

I'm upgrading from a 40D.... so you can tell I don't jump on the latest new best thing [WINKING FACE]

I'll be using it for wildlife and some landscapes as well as aviation. I'm leaning towards the 7D II because of its alleged more sophisticated autofocus and build quality but the price differential makes the 80D quite attractive.

All input appreciated
Taxboy

Re: Canon EOS 80D vs 7D Mark II

Postby rebel14 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:10 pm

Lincoln branch of London Camera Exchange were selling 7D bodies in store for £999 last week. Don't know how long this deal was on for but was a different price on line.
rebel14

Postby deerhunter » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:43 am

Don't know about 80d but I have a 7d mk2 and think it's the bees knees. Use it for all photography, including wildlife, focusing set up is brilliant once set up.

PM if you want any more info

:thumb:
Canon 7D Mk2 plus long lenses, and lots of hope!

GRIM REAPERS SUPPORTER

deerhunter

Postby reheat module » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 am

Both are very capable pieces of equipment.
I've tried both, but ended up with neither!
I did buy the wife an 80D (and she loves it), I however opted for the 5D3 for different needs.
Have you actually tried either in the shop and see/feel the comparisons?
Can't say you'd be disappointed with either
I do miss my time in the RAF, but every month it reminds me how great it was with a lovely big cheque
...Bigamy is having one wife too many, - Monogomy is much the same...(Oscar Wilde)
reheat module

Postby sneezy24 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:43 pm

I've recently upgraded from a 550D to an 80D with 18-135 USM.

Not tried in in 'plane mode' yet, but took it on a walk round Derwent Water and chuffed to bits!
Canon EOS 550D
Canon EOS 80D
Canon 18-55mm
Canon 55-250mm
Canon 18-135 USM
Canon 50mm 1.8
Panasonic Lumix TZ70
sneezy24

Postby Taxboy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:01 pm

rebel14 wrote:Lincoln branch of London Camera Exchange were selling 7D bodies in store for £999 last week. Don't know how long this deal was on for but was a different price on line.

That's a pretty good price especially from a bricks and mortar store
Taxboy

Postby Taxboy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:15 pm

reheat module wrote:Both are very capable pieces of equipment.
I've tried both, but ended up with neither!
I did buy the wife an 80D (and she loves it), I however opted for the 5D3 for different needs.
Have you actually tried either in the shop and see/feel the comparisons?
Can't say you'd be disappointed with either

Both of them feel pretty good in the shop, but it's quite difficult to tell using a different camera for a few minutes in the atmosphere of a shop. I guess it's the feeling that I don't want to go with the 80D and the have that nagging feeling I might have been able to get something better. Similarly don't want to pay more than necessary.

The full frame route would be fairly expensive given my investment in crop lenses which would have to be replaced
Taxboy

Postby Skip » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:08 pm

I actually sold my 1DX and got a 7Dmk2, the first one had focus problems so it went back and I got a replacement. I was never happy with the sharpness of the replacement though and when the 80D came out I got that but me being me I still yearned for the speed of the 1DX so I sold the 80D and got a great deal on the Canon 1DX mk2 :lol: :lol: sorry Taxboy that probably doesn't help at all, all I will say is the 7Dmk2 is like a crop version of the 1DX and is a great camera but like I said I was never 100% happy with the sharpness. Looking back now I would go with the 80D as off the top of my head it shoots at 7fps (might be wrong) and is that bit newer than the 7Dmk2and has most of the features of the 7Dmk2
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr
Skip

Postby Taxboy » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:17 pm

Skip wrote:I actually sold my 1DX and got a 7Dmk2, the first one had focus problems so it went back and I got a replacement. I was never happy with the sharpness of the replacement though and when the 80D came out I got that but me being me I still yearned for the speed of the 1DX so I sold the 80D and got a great deal on the Canon 1DX mk2 :lol: :lol: sorry Taxboy that probably doesn't help at all, all I will say is the 7Dmk2 is like a crop version of the 1DX and is a great camera but like I said I was never 100% happy with the sharpness. Looking back now I would go with the 80D as off the top of my head it shoots at 7fps (might be wrong) and is that bit newer than the 7Dmk2and has most of the features of the 7Dmk2

That's fine. Always good to hear real world opinions.
Taxboy

Postby powerslave » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:43 pm

I have a 70d along with the 100-400 mk2 ,really love both of them.
I tried the 7d mk 2 with the 100-400 and did'nt half weigh a bit in the shop.
If it was me,i would go for the 80d,i would'nt use 3/4 of the stuff you can use in the 7dmk 2 and it looks quite daunting regarding setting it up.
if i was to get another camera it would be the 80d or 7dmk 2,but with the price difference and the amount of time i am able to get out shooting i would probably opt for the 80d.
I would'nt worry about build quality of the 80d,ive used the 70d in hot desert to heavy rains and it has'nt missed a beat.
I'm more used to the 10d-20d-70d range of cameras,and pretty happy with them and the results they produce.

Ian
powerslave

Postby DanSeaman » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:44 am

This is one of my current debates with myself, I'm looking to upgrade from a 600D before next years airshow season. I know a lot of people think the 7DMK2 is the all singing all dancing camera. But I don't use my camera most days/weeks. I'm heading for the 80D as it's newer, cheaper, and looks less complicated than the 7D
DanSeaman

Postby James Cutting » Tue Dec 06, 2016 1:35 pm

Just bought the 80D two weeks ago. Loved it so far (Previously owned a 1100D).

Been amazing so far - Done close up shots, people/headshots and the quality is fantastic.

I will let you know when I hit the plane world what the shots are like :)
James Cutting

Postby Andy_99 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:20 pm

Having the same dilemma myself which to purchase

This may help but..... http://cameradecision.com/compare/Canon-EOS-7D-Mark-II-vs-Canon-EOS-80D
Andy_99

Postby stickshaker » Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:57 pm

There are a number of comparisons on youtube - this guy has done 3 I think:

https://youtu.be/3ksSzXizIMg
stickshaker

Return to Photography Q & A / How to post photos