Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Nikkor 300mm AF-D not AF-S version

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Cornish-guy

Nikkor 300mm AF-D not AF-S version

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:11 am

Has anyone owned one of these - any advice or tips on using one with moving subjects - aircraft/Bif etc.

C. :thumb:
Nikon D7100, Nikkor 300 f4 IF ED :-)

Yunglee

Re: Nikkor 300mm AF-D not AF-S version

Post by Yunglee » Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:46 pm

No I had the AF-S version (non-VR). I needed the focus limiter on to speed up the autofocus.

I think the AF-D autofocus was/is pretty slow. I'd try the focus limiter and pre-focusing as much as possible.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:04 pm

Yunglee wrote:No I had the AF-S version (non-VR). I needed the focus limiter on to speed up the autofocus.

I think the AF-D autofocus was/is pretty slow. I'd try the focus limiter and pre-focusing as much as possible.
Thanks, most of its use if I got one would be arount infinity so I guess the limiter could be left there with hardly any focus movement.

C.

sft

Post by sft » Wed Nov 16, 2016 8:04 am

Yunglee is correct that the autofocus can be slow - but that's only if you go from close to distance or vice versa. If you are shooting around a similar distance away, be it close or far, which you will do with aircraft, wildlife or whatever, you will have few problems at all. The glass is spot on, its built like a tank and for value for money its hard to beat. A drawback in winter is because its mostly metal, then gloves are a must. I have just been out this morning taking the moon with a 2x (it must be a good telecon like Nikon or Kenko Pro). I use it for wildlife in winter down at the local bird reserve and in the back garden.... but its great for planes too. Don't know where you go, but for 06 departures at LN from the "forest gate" area and for Typhoons at CBY from Reedham Lane fence area its exactly right. I've had some great results with it, would recommend it. Ive sold quite a few over the past few months, but have none available at the mo and you're not having mine! On Ebay they should be about 280-400 depending on condition. Any questions, then fire away, cheers ste

Alan425

Post by Alan425 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 12:07 pm

London Camera Exchange in Lincoln (Silver Street branch) currently have one for £399.99 if you are interested.

I occasionally use a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AFD (still available new, but not officially imported into the UK), which I believe uses similar AF technology to the 300mm AFD, and find that the autofocus is fast enough, but doesn't always cope too well with fast approaching subjects. It's fine for take-off/approach/taxiing shots.

Alan

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:31 pm

sft wrote:Yunglee is correct that the autofocus can be slow - but that's only if you go from close to distance or vice versa. If you are shooting around a similar distance away, be it close or far, which you will do with aircraft, wildlife or whatever, you will have few problems at all. The glass is spot on, its built like a tank and for value for money its hard to beat. A drawback in winter is because its mostly metal, then gloves are a must. I have just been out this morning taking the moon with a 2x (it must be a good telecon like Nikon or Kenko Pro). I use it for wildlife in winter down at the local bird reserve and in the back garden.... but its great for planes too. Don't know where you go, but for 06 departures at LN from the "forest gate" area and for Typhoons at CBY from Reedham Lane fence area its exactly right. I've had some great results with it, would recommend it. Ive sold quite a few over the past few months, but have none available at the mo and you're not having mine! On Ebay they should be about 280-400 depending on condition. Any questions, then fire away, cheers ste

Thank you for all that - much appreciated, how about the drop in filter and the gap/frame it uses, does this area lead to much dust introduction or is it sealed enough when closed with the filter in the holder, also I am hoping if funds allow to get a D7100 to put it on - how do you thing it will do/focus on the D7100?

Regards

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:37 pm

Alan425 wrote:London Camera Exchange in Lincoln (Silver Street branch) currently have one for £399.99 if you are interested.

I occasionally use a Nikkor 80-200 f/2.8 AFD (still available new, but not officially imported into the UK), which I believe uses similar AF technology to the 300mm AFD, and find that the autofocus is fast enough, but doesn't always cope too well with fast approaching subjects. It's fine for take-off/approach/taxiing shots.

Alan

I would use it mainly for Airways photography like the Reach flights over head, and (cough cough) civvy airways as I am under an airway, I used to get some fare shots with my old set up - D7100/AF-S 70-300Vr but 300mm was a bit soft, I know the 300 f4 AF-D will sort that out as its Steller even wide open.

The lack of Vr wont be a problem I dont think? as i was getting used to shooting with IS/VR turned off in both my 70-300Vr and with canon 55-250 STM.

Regards

sft

Post by sft » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:55 pm

Hello Cornishman, very little dust for these old lenses - more of a problem with zooms. The centre filter normally has a L37c filter, may need a clean, but no issues. I have used the 300 D many times with a D7000, so I am sure it will be just fine on a D7100.
As an aside.... I loaned an old 180 D to try on a friends D750, but he decided to splash out on a brand new 180 instead. Which he then regretted, as he discovered the older glass was actually sharper.

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 pm

sft wrote:Hello Cornishman, very little dust for these old lenses - more of a problem with zooms. The centre filter normally has a L37c filter, may need a clean, but no issues. I have used the 300 D many times with a D7000, so I am sure it will be just fine on a D7100.
As an aside.... I loaned an old 180 D to try on a friends D750, but he decided to splash out on a brand new 180 instead. Which he then regretted, as he discovered the older glass was actually sharper.

Interesting stuff Im hoping to pick up a great condition 300 f4 af-d with the center drop in filter, it even has the large front UV filter so the optics are in good order, might have to wait a bit for the D7100 though (bet that will be hard - a lens but no body) :(

I had thought a bout a prime many times as 99.9 of the time my zooms and even Fuji X-S1 had sat at the long end with no use at the other end, even got into a habbit of shooting with IS/VR turned off and hav edone ok with most lenses - nothing as heavy as the 300 f4 though.

C.

sft

Post by sft » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:10 am

If you are using a zoom, like a 70-300, at or near maximum, the quality normally deteriorates... so you will notice the improvement with a prime lens. For your airways photos you could consider a telecon... how about a D7000, save some money and use it on a converter?

Cornish-guy

Post by Cornish-guy » Sun Nov 20, 2016 6:47 pm

Thanks for the feedback folks interesting comments hope to get one one day.

C.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”