Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

5D II contrast issue.

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Sparts99

5D II contrast issue.

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:48 pm

I've recently bought a 2nd hand 5DII and have found it can't handle the wide contrast on sunny days as well as my 7Dmk1 can, shadows are too dark or highlights are well over exposed. I shoot RAW so can bring the detail out in post, but it seems surprising to me. Anyone experienced anything similar?
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

The Phantom

Re: 5D II contrast issue.

Post by The Phantom » Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:28 pm

Blimey - i'm surprised to hear that. I thought the 7D was bad enough - and imagined that the more expensive full frame Canon cameras would have had much better dynamic range to them!

TonyO

Post by TonyO » Thu Aug 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Any chance of some examples Sparts99, I have the same camera, also second hand, but no issues with contrast.
You want the Aladeen news, or the Aladeen news?

Pune

Post by Pune » Sun Aug 21, 2016 1:20 pm

I too have same camera with no issues apparent guys, sounds strange?
If you can keep your head whilst all around are losing theirs, you have probably completely misread the situation!!

Skip

Post by Skip » Sun Aug 21, 2016 7:46 pm

Have you reset to factory settings? if the previous owner has changed some settings that will mess your shots up for sure.
The last time I saw an F22 at Lakenheath i DIDN'T photoshop it...
Flickr

Richard B

Post by Richard B » Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:00 pm

Skip wrote:Have you reset to factory settings? if the previous owner has changed some settings that will mess your shots up for sure.
Good point with that, custom function picture style setting the contrast levels.
reset all custom modes back to standard default is worth a go.

Sparts99

Post by Sparts99 » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks all. I've been out with it a few times and to be fair every time it's been in full cloudless or near cloudless sunlight in urban areas so hard deep shadows, maybe I'm expecting a bit too much. I've got a run of gigs coming up where I'll be using both bodies so I can properly compare. I think I got lucky with my 7D, I haven't experienced the noise problems to the same extent that others have.
In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”