Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Standalone Camera Kit Insurance

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
Andy_99

Standalone Camera Kit Insurance

Post by Andy_99 » Tue May 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Hi All,

Quick Q re Camera & Kit Insurance

After a very lucky escape on Friday I'm looking at taking out standalone insurance for my camera kit any recommendations for who's best to use

You may ask why ?

I'm currently in the process of going through a divorce so am not living in the house that I currently pay out Building & Contents insurance on, Due to work I'm living full time in a hotel.
Technically I guess the kit is still covered as I'm technically the homeowner of the house but I don't want to run any risk of my kit being damaged/stolen & it not being covered.

I'd be looking at New for Old & Accidental damage cover in order to cover all my bases.

FYI be careful when using a sling type strap, for some unknown reason the swivel stopping the strap unscrewing from the tripod mount jammed, the strap unscrewed & the camera dropped off, luckily it hit me on the thigh then the foot before the concrete. Luckily the only damage was a sore foot (70d + loaded battery grip & 24-105 L lens) & a scratched lens hood.

Any help much appreciated.

Also looking at forming some form of safety strap the for camera now as well.

davem

Re: Standalone Camera Kit Insurance

Post by davem » Tue May 31, 2016 7:12 pm

Hi Andy, I've got an 'all risks' part on my contents insurance that covers my camera gear wherever I am and in all eventualities with single item values as required ie body separate from lens etc.

It may be worth checking if your current policy has this as it'll save you from taking out a separate policy just for the photo gear?

HTH
Dave.

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Tue May 31, 2016 7:39 pm

FWIW, you might find some more info on the camera brand-specific forums as this subject comes up quite often. I'm a Pentax user (don't laugh, we don't - except, occasionally, at people who use other brands!) and there are quite a few threads on the Pentax User forum - but I'm sure you will find quite a lot on forums relating to the brand(s) that you use.

Supra

Post by Supra » Wed Jun 01, 2016 11:13 am

davem wrote:Hi Andy, I've got an 'all risks' part on my contents insurance that covers my camera gear wherever I am and in all eventualities with single item values as required ie body separate from lens etc.

It may be worth checking if your current policy has this as it'll save you from taking out a separate policy just for the photo gear?

HTH
Dave.
Please be careful with the 'highlighted' section. Mine was like this, but each year the Insurance companies 'sneek' more stringent conditions into the Policy Update wording. For instance my cover for theft reduces from £10K 'all risks'/new for old/specified items to just £1000 if left in a dead-locked/alarmed car-boot that only I have a key for!!.....put it in your hotel-room , which every man & his dog has a key for & hey presto!...full cover again...having lugged your Canon bags in full-view of every tealeaf scumbag still breathing.
Also...never, ever allow an Airline tell you your kit has to go in the Hold... & then they put it on a baggage-cart in the public-side for subsequent transport to your flight!!! Any thieving git can access that even without a ticket to fly anywhere.
'Duty-of-Care' also forms part of your Contract with the underwriters, so Virgin Airlines brief the Check-in staff before I get there...saves my recurring Tourette's affliction!
Condolences on your marital trauma. I believe that if you continue to pay the insurance on the home, which I assume you still have an interest in, there won't be an issue in the interim. One phone-call to your insurer will confirm. Ultimately, you'll still be paying the insurance anyway if my experience is 'normal'. Seen it, done it, got the Tee-shirt!.... Just the Tee, nothing else!! :(

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:44 am

Thats the whole thing.

I do have Building & Contents insurance but...... owing to being in the middle of a divorce & working at the other end of the country, the kit is never in the home where the contents is.

I know with a lot of insurance it's only covered for x number of days away from the home it's insured with... Emm mine was last in the house some 18months ago ( Did I mention Divorce can be a slow process)

What I'm after is a policy where I know my kit is pretty much covered even when living in a hotel. I know it won't be covered if I leave it in the room but I do know all the staff personally & the room is block booked to me so nobody else can get hold of a key so the risk is somewhat lessened than in a holiday type stay.

jeallen01

Post by jeallen01 » Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:25 pm

In that case, the most likely candidates might be Photoguard, and Glover & Howe. The latter might be a bit cheaper. Both companies offer amateur & pro cover. Both can be set up online (but watch out for price hikes at the end of the first year!

davem

Post by davem » Mon Jun 06, 2016 1:49 pm

Just to update on this, I've now moved my Contents & All-risks over to NFU Mutual as it was due a few days ago anyway and having been screwed over by a Swinton / Covea / Quindell - 3rd party cowboys - combination on my better half's motoring Non-fault claim we've now moved all of our insurances over to these guys.

We rent our property so only need Contents and All Risks and from the T+Cs I've had confirmed for this new policy with NFU I have all risks no matter where it is or in what sort of locked car / boot/hatchback that I know some companies quibble over. I've gone for the level of cover that gives me up to £7k all risks which gives me £2k on any single item up to that amount which is way in excess of anything I carry - this coupled with more than we need for contents has just cost me well under £150 for the year - cheaper than Swinton / Covea were offering.

HTH
Dave.

Supra

Post by Supra » Tue Jun 07, 2016 10:21 am

Thanks for the update Dave. That is a result indeed! :thumb: I will be talking to the NFU people when my Policy comes-up for renewal in November.

Andy_99

Post by Andy_99 » Tue Jun 07, 2016 1:50 pm

Thanks all for the info. Need to do some investigation

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”