Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

The question is is 50MP better......judge for yourself.....

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
sploosher

Re: The question is is 50MP better......judge for yourself..

Post by sploosher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:39 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:It's in my camera bag attached to my Sony A7II (24 MP full-frame CMOS sensor/5-axis Image Stabilisation/14-bit uncompressed RAW :whistle: /Sony LA-EA4 Mount Adapter) Just need to see some flying at Duxford now. Not today though, it's raining.

sploosher - do you use any of the filters? Pointing at the sky I normally use the 4xND.

Brian
so far I have yet to use the ND filter that sits in the vinyl cap...........
Please feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699306@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony A700, A550, Minolta135,500 a/f mirror, Sigma 10-20,400, Sony 18-70,50, Tamron 17-50,28-300,70-300,90

SG1

Post by SG1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:16 pm

Pen Pusher wrote: sploosher - do you use any of the filters? Pointing at the sky I normally use the 4xND.
Brian
Hi Brian what do you mean you use a 4xND when pointing at the sky ?
And that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity,
from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been,
and are being, evolved.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:23 pm

Exactly what it says on the tin.

Brian

SG1

Post by SG1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 5:52 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:Exactly what it says on the tin.

Brian
I do know what a Neutral Density is and what it does, I just don't know why you would use one to take flying shots, is it a ND filter or a Grey Grad that is used to balance the sky and the ground?
And that, whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity,
from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been,
and are being, evolved.

SG1

Post by SG1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:12 pm

jdupons wrote:I too disagree stongly with this statement. Equipment will not replace talent and knowledge. Many professional photographers were just beginners one day, and they learned the trade with average equipment first. Once you master all the basics, you don't need the most expensive gear in the world to have great shots. We can see it every day on this forum and elsewhere. Luck, good weather conditions and opportunities make most of it, and the equipment will not replace those. If you have poor light and restrictive laws you won't get top pictures anyway. The bast photographer use the best equipment because their talent and skill allowed them to get the money to buy it. But buying the best equipment with no experience or talent will probably lead to frustration and anger.
I suggest you visit Martin Baileys webb site before you dismiss what he has to say, because when people like him make comments about photo gear you can take it to the bank, so you wont mind if I dismiss your reply :)
and are being, evolved.

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:02 pm

Many moons ago - probably about 9 years ago now - it was the height of the "new" Canon digital EOS bodies appearing along with L series lenses becoming more common. I used to see Peter March at fly ins and air shows with a Sigma zoom lens and a mid-range Canon digital body, shooting JPGs. When I asked him how he thought his photos looked compared to those the chaps next him with the Canon pro kit, he used to say it's all down to where the sunlight is and knowing how to use it - and you can't buy sunlight so it's pointless spending too much on camera gear! It wouldn't surprise me if that's still true.

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:35 pm

SG1 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:Exactly what it says on the tin.

Brian
I do know what a Neutral Density is and what it does, I just don't know why you would use one to take flying shots, is it a ND filter or a Grey Grad that is used to balance the sky and the ground?
a neutral density (ND) 4 filter reduces the amount of light passing through the lens, so that the user can use a slower shutter speed (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_density_filter ), a grad filter is one that is only partially grey ( or another colour) to reduce the amount of light on a certain part of the image
Please feel free to visit my flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/35699306@N04/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Sony A700, A550, Minolta135,500 a/f mirror, Sigma 10-20,400, Sony 18-70,50, Tamron 17-50,28-300,70-300,90

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:55 pm

With the kit I had at the time, the images I was getting from the 500mm were somewhat overexposed when pointed at the sky as the mirror lets in a lot of light to the sensor so used the ND filter to cut down on the light getting to it. With Exposure Compensation readily available now I can probably control it that way and not need the filter. I shall experiment and see. :whistle:

Brian

SG1

Post by SG1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:02 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:With the kit I had at the time, the images I was getting from the 500mm were somewhat overexposed when pointed at the sky as the mirror lets in a lot of light to the sensor so used the ND filter to cut down on the light getting to it. With Exposure Compensation readily available now I can probably control it that way and not need the filter. I shall experiment and see. :whistle:

Brian
Was the 500mm a fixed aperture lens.?
and are being, evolved.

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 pm

SG1 wrote:
Pen Pusher wrote:With the kit I had at the time, the images I was getting from the 500mm were somewhat overexposed when pointed at the sky as the mirror lets in a lot of light to the sensor so used the ND filter to cut down on the light getting to it. With Exposure Compensation readily available now I can probably control it that way and not need the filter. I shall experiment and see. :whistle:

Brian
Was the 500mm a fixed aperture lens.?
yes, it is fixed at f8............... ;)

SG1

Post by SG1 » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:45 pm

Mmm So why not just use a faster shutter speed to cut the amount light getting to the sensor ?
and are being, evolved.

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:48 am

SG1 wrote:
Mmm So why not just use a faster shutter speed to cut the amount light getting to the sensor ?
because using a faster shutter speed when taking aircraft flying may not give you the right shutter speed to freeze props ......... ;)

SG1

Post by SG1 » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:53 am

sploosher wrote:
SG1 wrote:
because using a faster shutter speed when taking aircraft flying may not give you the right shutter speed to freeze props ......... ;)
That's just what a faster shutter speed will do, it will freeze props. ;)
and are being, evolved.

sploosher

Post by sploosher » Tue Jan 12, 2016 4:34 pm

sorry, I meant to say give you prop blur................ :blush:

jdupons

Post by jdupons » Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:02 pm

I don't know who Martin Baileys is so I won't be able to visit his site. I judge by experience and by noting that a good aircraft picture is not all the time the result of top notch equipment. Other factors exist. Getting close enough to aircraft being one of the most challenging.The best equiment in the world , if used by a poor photographer, will not save anything.

richpittman

Post by richpittman » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:08 pm

For what its worth I rate the 6D highly and the 7dmk2 not so.

Looking at PH photos, these look some of the sharpest images I have seen on my monitor.

One Day I will upgrade and go back to 1 body. I guess I should keep the 6D as a spare

SG1

Post by SG1 » Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:14 pm

jdupons wrote:I don't know who Martin Baileys is so I won't be able to visit his site. I judge by experience and by noting that a good aircraft picture is not all the time the result of top notch equipment. Other factors exist. Getting close enough to aircraft being one of the most challenging.The best equiment in the world , if used by a poor photographer, will not save anything.
Here you go, now you know who he is.
www.martinbaileyphotography.com
and are being, evolved.

Taxboy

Post by Taxboy » Fri Jan 15, 2016 4:32 pm

I don't think who uses what brand of equipment is necessarily conclusive evidence. A pro uses what suits their needs for the job in hand ...or may even be paid to promote the brand. I think it is more useful to review images you like and note the focal length of the lens and the way the light falls. If we're being honest today's DSLRs are all excellent and I would suggest once images have been processed you would be hard pushed to identify what brand had taken what image. Perhaps the only exception is pixel peepers who will point out some "flaw" which would realistically appear if you printed the image 6 feet wide or so.
The camera is only a tool for capturing images and for the majority of photographers ,myself included they will run out of talent before the equipment is the constraint

Black Mike

Post by Black Mike » Fri Jan 15, 2016 9:45 pm

Pen Pusher wrote:It's in my camera bag attached to my Sony A7II (24 MP full-frame CMOS sensor/5-axis Image Stabilisation/14-bit uncompressed RAW :whistle: /Sony LA-EA4 Mount Adapter) Just need to see some flying at Duxford now. Not today though, it's raining.

Brian
Whether or not I am ever going to buy one, I'm still very interested in seeing images from the A7II and 500G :) Even more so the A7RII...

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”