Did you know that registration to Fighter Control is completely free and brings you lots of added features? Find out more....

Mono Pods

Post your questions, reviews and technical issues here.
John flightpath

Mono Pods

Post by John flightpath » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:04 pm

Do many of you use monopods when out and about, I want to get one because it would be easy to carry around and pack down to a compact size.
I'm looking on ebay shops at the moment, will be using it with a canon DSLR and 300mm lense, any idea's ?

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Sigma APO OS DG 150-500mm
Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Pen Pusher

Re: Mono Pods

Post by Pen Pusher » Sat Dec 26, 2015 12:51 pm

I only use a mono pod for getting the camera high up for those looking down shots. In the early days I tried a mono pod with a ball head to support my camera for steady shots but found it very restrictive and a pain in the rear trying to pan fast moving aircraft. Today I use a table top tripod as a shoulder brace and with the legs opened out and resting on my shoulders and chest, is very stable and I can get away with very low shutter speeds.

Brian

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sat Dec 26, 2015 6:15 pm

Thank you for your response.I have a couple of mini tri pods, but never thought of using them like you do. ( food for thought). I have ordered a mono pod. Not too expensive, see how I go on with it. When you say you get the looking down shots, are you lifting the camera high on the pod with a delayed shot ?

Cheers
John 'flightpath'.
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Sun Dec 27, 2015 7:55 am

John

The photo below was taken of me 'at work' :whistle: a few years ago and you can just see in my right hand a remote shutter release, I did use the timer to start with, and there is a tilt screen on the camera so I can see what I'm shooting. I also wrap the camera strap around the mono pod just in case the attachment fails.

Brian

John flightpath

Post by John flightpath » Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:19 am

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

John 'flightpath'
Equipment
Canon EOS 750D

Canon 55-250 IS STM Lens
Sigma APO DG 70-300 lens

page_verify

Post by page_verify » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:34 pm

Just seen this while browsing. I suspect mono pods have gone into the cupboard and have never been seen since for everyone but those with the largest of lenses. 15 years ago, when you needed low ISO film for less grainy images and lenses were pure glass with no mirrors or gyros, you often needed a mono pod for anything more than 200mm focal length to help you help a sharp image. On 9/11, there was a press photographer outside Fairford who told me a monopod made the difference between his photos getting used and getting chucked. He was using a 300mm f2.8 L lens and the Canon/Kodak DCS-520 body. These days with gyro stabilised lenses and grain free high ISO digital sensors I doubt many see the need.

Pen Pusher

Post by Pen Pusher » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:21 am

You can get a 'V' mount bracket to attach to a mono pod to rest the lens on rather than attaching it to the mono pod.

7dayshop

Brian

Wallace

Post by Wallace » Sat Jan 16, 2016 8:12 pm

I have one but mine too is unusued in the cupboard.
My youthful endeavours with a hand held telescope and a hand hel air rifle shooting as a youth (not at the same time) comes in handy when shooting with a long lens.

I have used the monopod and a tripod in a similar fashion to get a raised perspective shots.

Return to “Photography Q & A / How to post photos”